Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is worth the read and hell of a win boys sorry ain't been around yet.Sucks a family member who's been sick with cancer and other health concerns passed away yesterday afternoon.He absoutely loved UT football and has had season tickets for eons.

Well since he's been sick he hasn't been able to go.So yesterday morning asks grand daughter if she wanted to go take her 2 brothers.Why ocourse they do and they freaking had a blast.They grabbed a few souvenirs for papa n pictures qnd headed home.Called n called n no answer finally get home and go inside.Hes layed in his bed with the game on TV and no pulse.
Lord knows them kids need all the prayers they can get and football is the most unimportant thing right now.

Heres the part makes u glad to be a Vol in a gloomy unimportant moment.Man there zo lucky they had cameras n the room just to observe him.That man passed away exactly 7 minutes and 22 seconds after the final whistle.He never moved the whole game.With that final whistle blow he raised his arm maybe 30°.Hey I'm a tuff dude n I cried watching it with them.Its been very tuff but I really really don't think people understand just how big sports impact people's lifes.I know i personally have leaned on ppl here n a dark spot in my life.
🥺

This is worth the read and hell of a win boys sorry ain't been around yet.Sucks a family member who's been sick with cancer and other health concerns passed away yesterday afternoon.He absoutely loved UT football and has had season tickets for eons.

Well since he's been sick he hasn't been able to go.So yesterday morning asks grand daughter if she wanted to go take her 2 brothers.Why ocourse they do and they freaking had a blast.They grabbed a few souvenirs for papa n pictures qnd headed home.Called n called n no answer finally get home and go inside.Hes layed in his bed with the game on TV and no pulse.
Lord knows them kids need all the prayers they can get and football is the most unimportant thing right now.

Heres the part makes u glad to be a Vol in a gloomy unimportant moment.Man there zo lucky they had cameras n the room just to observe him.That man passed away exactly 7 minutes and 22 seconds after the final whistle.He never moved the whole game.With that final whistle blow he raised his arm maybe 30°.Hey I'm a tuff dude n I cried watching it with them.Its been very tuff but I really really don't think people understand just how big sports impact people's lifes.I know i personally have leaned on ppl here n a dark spot in my life.
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

That is amazing 🙏

If Heupel stays here for ten years or more…. I feel the next three to four QBs that we have will put up similar stats…. This system is that good.
Considering we are now recruiting generational type QBs, I sure think so. May even get better once we can surround said QBs with more skill talent and better defenses.

Up and up from here with this kind of recruiting.

Turnage puzzles me. Pretty sure the talent is there, but something is not clicking.
I think he played so well at nickel last year in relief of Theo because they simplified his job and he was playing with house money as the backup. He's got the talent, so he's either in his own head or he's just not picking up scheme to be a reliable outside CB.

I firmly believe that the defense is not nearly as bad as we saw yesterday and that AR simply lived up to his hype. It was a do or die game for him, and he felt no pressure. Everyone expected him to be rattled and play poorly, which takes a ton of pressure off in competitive situations, because who cares if you suck? It was expected. There is only upside.

I doubt we see another QB performance against us like that all season.

The things that allowed AR to have that sort of day aren't things he did so much as things we didn't do. Didn't get great pressure, didn't have close coverage, and even in the "watch the QB zone" our secondary seems to always be in we didn't have enough closing speed to really vulture any bad throws or get to him when he took off.

515 total yards and 4 TDs with 1 INT...probably won't see it from another QB. But if we play that sort of defense against LSU, Bama, or Georgia they'll be just as capable of throwing it all over us as Florida was I do think AR is a pretty good QB talent wise though. He's a bit like Joe Milton in that he's very raw and has all the size and arm talent to make the throws...just not really polished yet.

We're 118th in the country in opponent passing YPG . We were awful last year as well. Do you think the talent is that putrid?
Not remotely accurate.

We are 56th in YPA and 50th in opposing qbr. Last year we finished 60th and 63rd, both above national medians.

It isn't nearly that bad, so far. We'll see as the season progresses.

Using YPG is CLEARLY bs. We have had to defend the 4th most pass attempts in the country because our rush defense has shut folks down and our offense goes hyperfast lol.

At least let's use stats that can be compared evenly, such as per play stats.

I wouldn’t disagree but Banks is still handicapped. D Line is improved as well as LB’s. Corners are serviceable but catch a lot of flack because people see big plays and assume it’s all on the corners but these guys are truly on an island and don’t get help over top. Our safeties have been slow for many years (really since Berry). Battle came on his senior season but couldn’t cover and now 2 esssentially 4 year starters (Flowers & McCollough) at safety are very slow for the SEC. It’s our Achilles heal. Losing Key was our biggest transfer loss IMO. That 4th quarter pass to Shorter yesterday was in the air for about 10 seconds and even in cover 2 McCollough was 5 yards away when he caught it.
This^

Our biggest weakness is specifically the safety position.

If you put two SEC caliber (at the very least - but preferably day 1 draft picks) at safety then everything changes. Probably 90% of the biggest pass plays they had you could probably blame on safety failure.

We're 118th in the country in opponent passing YPG . We were awful last year as well. Do you think the talent is that putrid?

We have I think 4 or 5 transfers...

And secondary is one area that if you're getting a portal guy it's usually because they weren't good enough to play where they were. Cause even the elite defenses play pretty deep in the secondary to keep legs fresh. We need another 1 or 2 good recruiting classes I think before the style of defense (in the secondary at least) Banks wants to run will really be consistently good against the pass.

It's a mix though, but we're in year 2 so at this point I'd probably shift the blame from 50/50 to more 65/35 and say Willie/Banks should have them a little further along.

Reactions: SoilVol
Not remotely accurate.

We are 56th in YPA and 50th in opposing qbr. Last year we finished 60th and 63rd, both above national medians.

It isn't nearly that bad, so far. We'll see as the season progresses.

Using YPG is CLEARLY bs. We have had to defend the 4th most pass attempts in the country because our rush defense has shut folks down and our offense goes hyperfast lol.

At least let's use stats that can be compared evenly, such as per play stats.

Yea, we are going to give up pass yards just by leading teams in the second half. We’ve been up double digits in 3 games and at least a TD in all four.

You'd rather have Banks over Arnett? Really?
Yep…… I know arnett has a great rep but last year he gave up a few less ppg but more ypa pass…. Higher comp%…. And more yards per play as a defense…. He also gave up 30 plus points many times to Memphis, ole miss, Arkansas, Texas tech, 28 to LSU…. 49 Bama….. This year his defense gave up 31 in a loss to LSU…. He has been marginally better if any at all.

I learned my lesson under Butch when Jancek left…. We went out and brought in the high dollar defensive coordinator…. It turned out Jancek was the best DC and coaches during the Butch era. I would rather keep continuity and allow this defense to continue to grow.

Last edited:
From my viewpoint the secondary has looked ok when playing man coverage but terrible in zone so far this year.
Yeah.. They decided they were not gonna let AR beat us with his legs and were willing to live with result...

Which tells me they were super confident in how our offense would fair against the defense. And they probably didn't see a 400+ yards performance coming...🤷‍♂️

But as bad as it was, I think it was more about game plan than lack of ability.

That doesn't excuse the poor tackling tho.

Coaching wise, I think they did a great job over all. Two things I didn't like was the party calling on our last drive... Felt like we took our foot of the gas to protect the lead. And prior to that, when we had them backed up on our goal...I hated the 3rd down call.

Outside of that... Offensively I thought they were excellent. Hindsight being what it is, they probably could have mixed up some things with secondary, made it to easy on them.

I thought we were great against the run and we applied good pressure to AR most of the game.

Loved the punt game.😁

It'll be interesting to see how we game plan against LSU, who will present a similar matchup offensively, with what I think are better wr's than Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back