Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is good advice. It’s fun to learn the sexy sweeps and subs, but if you can’t get to the position to apply them, then they’re not worth much as a beginner. Try to be patient and focus on positioning and basics. Hip movement is life. Most importantly…just keep showing up.

If you really want to dive into technical videos, BJJfanatics.com is the way. Bernardo Faria posts quite a bit in social media for free, or you can buy stuff too.

I try to continue to do explosive free weight movements to keep strength up and also interval/agility training for added cardio. I’m a big fan of DVD / streaming workouts like Insanity, Asylum with the ladder, etc. Maybe worth checking out.

Side note: I went to Origin BJJ Immersion Camp this year and it was amazing. Highly recommend if you can swing it.

Good luck!

View attachment 490061
A guy I train with on the regular went this past year and loved it.

This is good advice. It’s fun to learn the sexy sweeps and subs, but if you can’t get to the position to apply them, then they’re not worth much as a beginner. Try to be patient and focus on positioning and basics. Hip movement is life. Most importantly…just keep showing up.

If you really want to dive into technical videos, BJJfanatics.com is the way. Bernardo Faria posts quite a bit in social media for free, or you can buy stuff too.

I try to continue to do explosive free weight movements to keep strength up and also interval/agility training for added cardio. I’m a big fan of DVD / streaming workouts like Insanity, Asylum with the ladder, etc. Maybe worth checking out.

Side note: I went to Origin BJJ Immersion Camp this year and it was amazing. Highly recommend if you can swing it.

Good luck!

View attachment 490061
Thank you for that. When you “hip movement” is that flexibility or where your position is? I have learned that flexibility is major and something I need to work on.
I will check out that website and that is so dope you went or Origin! Did you roll with Jocko or anyone? Kinda silly but he’s the reason I went and tried it out

Thank you for that. When you “hip movement” is that flexibility or where your position is? I have learned that flexibility is major and something I need to work on.
I will check out that website and that is so dope you went or Origin! Did you roll with Jocko or anyone? Kinda silly but he’s the reason I went and tried it out
Both movement and flexibility, I guess…was referring to movement more than anything. Being fluid, mobile, and able to change hip directions to defend.

Did not roll with Jocko or Echo but they both taught our seminar multiple times. The entire instructor staff was amazing. Lots of videos of them from this year online you can check out as well.

This is Jocko speaking to us at the Origin factory.
2F9A3171-3314-4086-8A5B-B796EE4DEABE.jpeg

Hip movement is shrimping and moving. He who controls the head controls the body. He who controls the hips controls the fight. If I control your hips I can open guard, pass, change positions, and apply submissions

Reactions: ugg and Volsdeep4
For BJJ nothing truly beats more rolling. Anything that requires you to really control your breathing while continue the workout will help. Running, swimming, or a plyometrics workout has always helped me the best.

A lot of the reason you were gassed is there is a lot of muscle fatigue that will happen quickly with the pushing, pulling, wrestling etc especially when your breathing is most likely crazy fast. Watch higher belts roll and/or you yourself roll with as many purple belts and up as you can. Watch how they conserve energy and breathe. When I was a white and blue belt I tried to roll with as many brown and black belts as possible because you learn something every time.

Now as a black belt I never turn down a lower belt who wants to roll. I will put them in positions they learned during class during live sparring to let them work on the escapes etc they just learned. If you have training partners like that then do that as much as possible.
Oh yeah! I watched a couple of guys rolled and it seemed like it was very precise and calculated movements as mine probably looked crazy and all over the place haha.
That’s really cool of you to roll with lower belts. I know they’ve helped me out!

Reactions: jordan4vols
Oh yeah! I watched a couple of guys rolled and it seemed like it was very precise and calculated movements as mine probably looked crazy and all over the place haha.
That’s really cool of you to roll with lower belts. I know they’ve helped me out!
As @GreatWhiteNorth and some others have said….focus on just keeping showing up and soak up the basics. Go watch Roger Gracie (probably greatest gi player of all time) take down or pull guard on world class BJJ athletes and pull some simple arm drag sweep and then cross choke from mount. Basics. He’s just perfect at them.

Reactions: Volsdeep4
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back