WNBA discussion thread?

Regardless of opinion I don't know how anyone doesn't have Catchings and Parker as top 5 to 7 top players of all time in the W. That's very impressive. I could only name 2 players above them personally. Tamika and Candace are imo without a doubt both top 5 ever in the W.

Heads up!

Game 3 between Chicago and Connecticut is about to tip off at 1 p.m. on ESPN2.

A few minutes ago they did a little story about the popularity of the orange WNBA hoodie. I don’t know how many others are like me, but I bought it because it was orange. lol I have a feeling there was at least a little boost in sales to Tennessee fans just for that reason.

And speaking of the WNBA and the color orange. I’ve gotten a few chuckles over the years when I’d think about the fact that the Connecticut Sun has orange as their main color. Yes, I realize the color orange is associated with the actual sun in the sky, but so are shades of yellow and gold. Can you imagine how irritating for some of the diehard Husky fans who were also Sun fans when they had to wear orange to the games? 😂

Same thing with Phoenix. Of ALL the teams for Diana “I just wanted to punch something orange” Taurasi to end up playing her entire career with, she gets one with orange uniforms. 😂

That Chicago-Connecticut game was stressful! Whew! The Sky pulled it out despite shooting 37% from the floor and 24% from 3. Quigley shot 1-11 and Kay had an incredibly off game. Doubt that’ll happen again in game in 4. Gotta be feeling good going into the next game if you’re Chicago.

That Chicago-Connecticut game was stressful! Whew! The Sky pulled it out despite shooting 37% from the floor and 24% from 3. Quigley shot 1-11 and Kay had an incredibly off game. Doubt that’ll happen again in game in 4. Gotta be feeling good going into the next game if you’re Chicago.

I know who physically won't be feeling good: Candace. Yeah, the team should feel good going in there and getting that important win despite some iffy shooting, but dang. Parker sure took a beating. The early foul trouble for Sloot and Meeseman didn't help matters, and Quigley could have helped as much watching from the hotel.

With the "leave it all out on the court or be done for the season" attitude the Sun will have to come with for Game 4, I'm a little worried about injuries. Connecticut is always physical, but I could see it getting way out of hand next game if they get desperate.

I know who physically won't be feeling good: Candace. Yeah, the team should feel good going in there and getting that important win despite some iffy shooting, but dang. Parker sure took a beating. The early foul trouble for Sloot and Meeseman didn't help matters, and Quigley could have helped as much watching from the hotel.

With the "leave it all out on the court or be done for the season" attitude the Sun will have to come with for Game 4, I'm a little worried about injuries. Connecticut is always physical, but I could see it getting way out of hand next game if they get desperate.

Yeah, Candace definitely took a beating. She’s gonna need ice baths and some. I’m with you in the concern over injuries. The Sky will need to be ready to keep their composure for 40 mins.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Chicago hasn't matched up well against either Vegas or Seattle this season, so I don't have a pick for who I'd like to see go up against them (assuming Chicago makes it to the finals, fingers crossed). But I still have PTSD from when Seattle swept the Mystics in the finals a few years ago so I hope they are stopped at all costs.

Chicago hasn't matched up well against either Vegas or Seattle this season, so I don't have a pick for who I'd like to see go up against them (assuming Chicago makes it to the finals, fingers crossed). But I still have PTSD from when Seattle swept the Mystics in the finals a few years ago so I hope they are stopped at all costs.

If Chicago advances, I’d prefer to see them matchup with Seattle. Chelsea Gray and Kelsey Plum are a matchup nightmare for Sloot and Quigley. Those two haven’t played well against the Aces all season.

I will say I’ve also always thought of Candace as someone whose true personality — the one she fights constantly to hide — is that of someone who would probably rather just be left alone.
Yes, she talks to her teammates. Yes, one of her jobs is being a TV commentator. But what I have always seen in her, starting in high school, was a person who is actually naturally reserved. She’s not gregarious, or hilarious, or extremely friendly. She’s smart and sincere and focused.

Well said. That has been my perception of her too. At first, I mistakenly though it could be arrogance but that definitely is not the case. Along with her talent, it is her serious commitment and goal directed behavior that have contributed to her success. I do believe she now communicates at a deeper level when she has to, whereas right when she came to UT it seemed hard to get a sense of who she was outside of basketball. I am not finding any fault in this, but am glad she has learned to expand herself to become a more impactful basketball player and person. So glad she is still doing so well in the spotlight!

Last edited:
If Chicago is fortunate enough to make the finals, in my mind they'd be the underdog in a matchup with either Las Vegas OR Seattle the way they're both playing. And Candace is surely getting closer each game to total exhaustion.

I know she takes excellent care of her body, but she has been putting extra, EXTRA demands on it this entire post season. Hopefully she can hang on for a while longer, get that championship, then finally be able to collapse into a hammock on the beach of some beautiful tropical paradise for a few weeks to recover. 😁

The thing about Chelsea Gray is her body type tells lies. You'd THINK she might have some difficulty creating shots ... that she might be too slow. Nope. She's a killer!

For Seattle, Breanna Stewart is the one to worry about. She's my favorite former Husky, and it's not even close.

If Chicago is fortunate enough to make the finals, in my mind they'd be the underdog in a matchup with either Las Vegas OR Seattle the way they're both playing. And Candace is surely getting closer each game to total exhaustion.

I know she takes excellent care of her body, but she has been putting extra, EXTRA demands on it this entire post season. Hopefully she can hang on for a while longer, get that championship, then finally be able to collapse into a hammock on the beach of some beautiful tropical paradise for a few weeks to recover. 😁

The thing about Chelsea Gray is her body type tells lies. You'd THINK she might have some difficulty creating shots ... that she might be too slow. Nope. She's a killer!

For Seattle, Breanna Stewart is the one to worry about. She's my favorite former Husky, and it's not even close.

It’s those knees! My cousin watched her play and was like she looks like she’s moving like an old woman but then she just makes stuff happen

If Chicago advances, I’d prefer to see them matchup with Seattle. Chelsea Gray and Kelsey Plum are a matchup nightmare for Sloot and Quigley. Those two haven’t played well against the Aces all season.

Sloot and Quigs haven't been able to keep up with 90+% of the guards in the league this season. Quigley can't stay with anyone, let alone Plum or Young, and Sloot isn't much better.

I just saw a FB post by someone that showed the replay of Alyssa Thomas appearing to have intentionally moved her knee into Parker's. No telling how close that came to ending Candace's career.

Last edited:
I just saw a FB post by someone that showed the replay of Alyssa Thomas appearing to have intentionally moved her knee into Parker's. No telling how close that came to ending Candace's career.
Hey lvocd, here's a clip of the play. Nasty work indeed, it's the kind of thing that could've destroyed Candace's knee if the angle had been slightly different.

Hey lvocd, here's a clip of the play. Nasty work indeed, it's the kind of thing that could've destroyed Candace's knee if the angle had been slightly different.

Seemed like their game plan. Her shot to CP3's eye was clearly intentional as well.

The Sky need an old school "goon" to return some favors.

Reactions: lvocd
All I know is Seattle should have won its game. Hammon outcoached the Seattle coach at the end.

Noelle Quinn has done a great job in her first year as well but they should’ve fouled prior to A’ja getting that bucket. Use your fouls and the clock to your advantage. Mental mistake as was that missed travel violation on A’ja but such a hard fought game. I hope it gets extended to 5.

Noelle Quinn has done a great job in her first year as well but they should’ve fouled prior to A’ja getting that bucket. Use your fouls and the clock to your advantage. Mental mistake as was that missed travel violation on A’ja but such a hard fought game. I hope it gets extended to 5.
A'ja needed a pedometer for that no-call travel, my goodness. Noelle can't be blamed for Tina missing not one but TWO critical free throws, but not instructing Ezi to foul hard enough to prevent Jackie Young from making the game-tying shot, I do put that on the coach. Seemed like the Storm gave up after that. Becky Hammon's X's and O's are a sight to behold.

Sloot and Quigs haven't been able to keep up with 90+% of the guards in the league this season. Quigley can't stay with anyone, let alone Plum or Young, and Sloot isn't much better.

VanderSloot is the female Steve Nash, Yes, you give up something on the defensive end but she makes up for it for how well she orchestrates the offense and despite not being explosive, she finds lanes to get to the rim. Her passing is off the charts.

When Quigley is not shooting well, she does hurt more than help. I suppose her "threat" helps to spread the floor but Gardner made the team better last night.

For the Sky to get that win the road, with Quigley 1 for infinity, Copper not having her A-game going, and CP3 missing a lot of open threes, is, let's say, beating the odds. The announcers keep talking about the Sun's defense but the Sky are shutting them down and doing it without committing assault and battery on every play.

I expect that Sky to play better offensively on Tuesday and take this in 4. I really hate how the Sun play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back