Mickey Dearstone successor...

Well, okey dokey then! I’m a fan! Here’s what I think! Try your best to get someone else to announce with you. I always think teams are better than individual announcers. It would be great if said second/color announcer were perhaps a Lady Vol looking to get a foot into announcing. Sounds like it is time for you to be a mentor😃!

That decision is above my pay grade. I’ll just say from my experiences on the TV/video side and in softball, it is easier said than done attracting a former player to a role like that, particularly for a 36-game schedule with half of those games on the road.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
That decision is above my pay grade. I’ll just say from my experiences on the TV/video side and in softball, it is easier said than done attracting a former player to a role like that, particularly for a 36-game schedule with half of those games on the road.

Do the color announcers get paid? I assume if they do, it's not much.

Well, okey dokey then! I’m a fan! Here’s what I think! Try your best to get someone else to announce with you. I always think teams are better than individual announcers. It would be great if said second/color announcer were perhaps a Lady Vol looking to get a foot into announcing. Sounds like it is time for you to be a mentor😃!
Belmont wbb does that, and frankly, the former players are not very good at it --- it is more of a distraction than informative.

I’m with you on this. While another voice could explain many nuances of the game,it often detracts from viewer enjoyment of the on court or on field action. I am very tired of soliloquies and conversations that have absolutely nothing to do with the game in progress. If I wanted this type , I would just tune in sports talk shows. Tuning in games means I want to see a game. Now I know why so many watch games with sound turned down or off. Okay,I do know that the sound on my tv can be turned off,but I do like a description of the game, so I suffer through.

Congratulations, Brian Rice!
You're going to be very important to me. I cut the cable cord years ago, but I enjoyed listening to Mickey call the Lady Vols games that I can't watch. I always want to know the score & time remaining, who scored, who fouled, who got fouled, who is rebounding, who is making the other team miserable. You do a good job with softball games, & you'll do the same for bball. I'm looking forward to the new season!

Congratulations, Brian Rice!
You're going to be very important to me. I cut the cable cord years ago, but I enjoyed listening to Mickey call the Lady Vols games that I can't watch. I always want to know the score & time remaining, who scored, who fouled, who got fouled, who is rebounding, who is making the other team miserable. You do a good job with softball games, & you'll do the same for bball. I'm looking forward to the new season!

you ever listen to Mickey and watch the game volume down...The radio waves are about 1/2 second faster...it is a weird experience...You hear "so-so scores" before the shot ever gets to the basket.

Reactions: VollyParton
I’m with you on this. While another voice could explain many nuances of the game,it often detracts from viewer enjoyment of the on court or on field action. I am very tired of soliloquies and conversations that have absolutely nothing to do with the game in progress. If I wanted this type , I would just tune in sports talk shows. Tuning in games means I want to see a game. Now I know why so many watch games with sound turned down or off. Okay,I do know that the sound on my tv can be turned off,but I do like a description of the game, so I suffer through.

I agree with you both. And while I'm pretty sure this makes us old fuddy-duddies, I know there are many, many other Lady Vols supporters who share this opinion. (So, yes, there definitely ARE a lot of "blue hairs" who listen to games, travel to watch games in person, and offer generous financial support to their favorite program. Get over it! lol)

If for some reason I am not able to be at the game and then it's either (on rare occasions) not televised or I am not near a TV for some reason, and I just HAVE to listen to a game, I prefer to only hear unnecessary chatter before the game, at halftime, and then after the game.

During the game I want to hear one person describe the action, to tell me who is in the game, to give regular score updates, to report substitutions, time outs, injury updates, etc., in a way that allows me to visualize the game.

Basically, I'd prefer my radio person to go at their job as though the only people listening are folks who grew up as tremendous fans of the Lady Vols who watched every game until they were 40, but then lost their sight and now HAVE to depend on someone else to be their eyes.

If there's a compelling reason to offer some quick "color" at some point, that's okay. But no long, drawn out stories, though, while the game is going on. I read newspapers, magazines and follow the program through social media for all the "color" I need about my favorite program. And some of the chatter is just so silly and so worn out and so distracting it is ridiculous.

Me and my fellow fuddy-duddies will be over here waiting to see what happens next. Ha!

Reactions: Benionsopinion
on tv a color commentator is essential...I think back on Frank, AL, Howard, and Don (Turn out the lights, the party's over,,,) Meredith

But if they had been on the radio it would have been annoying. Although when they did their schtick,,,they did have AL Michaels strictly calling the game

on tv a color commentator is essential...I think back on Frank, AL, Howard, and Don (Turn out the lights, the party's over,,,) Meredith

But if they had been on the radio it would have been annoying. Although when they did their schtick,,,they did have AL Michaels strictly calling the game

Yes, TV is a different story. Even so, I sure do wish there were more Andraya Carters (smart, experienced, exceptionally prepared) and fewer of those (I'm not going to mention names) commentators who have in their arsenal of comments about six things to say and who only ever inject THE most obvious observations. Nothing original. No intelligent insight. Ugh.

Reactions: stllvf
Yes, TV is a different story. Even so, I sure do wish there were more Andraya Carters (smart, experienced, exceptionally prepared) and fewer of those (I'm not going to mention names) commentators who have in their arsenal of comments about six things to say and who only ever inject THE most obvious observations. Nothing original. No intelligent insight. Ugh.

I know and the "Coach speak" is run down and old....""one game at a time...110%,,,etc",,,Hate it

if you are going to color commentate, be informative while being entertaining...Don't just tell me the screen was hedged, tell me what hedging a screen is...,,,then tell me about your horse chasing your dog during timeouts

I really like Carter. She could be the best out there in a couple of years.

Reactions: T_Vol376
you ever listen to Mickey and watch the game volume down...The radio waves are about 1/2 second faster...it is a weird experience...You hear "so-so scores" before the shot ever gets to the basket.
nowadays, if you stream the game and DVR it, you can get the radio sound in sync with the picture while the game is live -- pretty cool IMHO

The audio feed is actually synced up to whatever channel the game is on, based on the feed provided through Comcast. That’s the provider that is in network control. Some providers are a little ahead of that, others are a little behind, especially satellite carriers. But they sync it the best they can.

If you are streaming both audio and video, the Tennessee Athletics app has a pause feature that makes it a little easier. Especially since a streaming video/ESPN+ feed can be up to two minutes behind everything else.

Reactions: mcannon1
The audio feed is actually synced up to whatever channel the game is on, based on the feed provided through Comcast. That’s the provider that is in network control. Some providers are a little ahead of that, others are a little behind, especially satellite carriers. But they sync it the best they can.

If you are streaming both audio and video, the Tennessee Athletics app has a pause feature that makes it a little easier. Especially since a streaming video/ESPN+ feed can be up to two minutes behind everything else.

During a game, I listen to Sportstalk (sometimes) and watch it from an ESPN+/SEC/Network viewer (Hate the network announcers and their unending anecdotes and coach speak) ...Never have had one outlet to sink with the other

You speak of the TN Athletics APP...can you describe it a little and maybe link it...is it on ROKU

Belmont wbb does that, and frankly, the former players are not very good at it --- it is more of a distraction than informative.

It is a lot easier for former players looking to get into the business to get those reps on the video side. Most schools, even at that level, are doing a TV style broadcast for ESPN+ or an alternate platform. Color commentary on the radio, especially in basketball, is a bit more of a nuanced endeavor. On the TV side, you can talk over the action when necessary, because everybody can see what is happening on the court. The announcers are there as an accent, rather than a necessity. On the radio, an analyst has a much smaller window to fit valuable commentary into before the next play is happening, especially if one or both teams is running an up-tempo offense.

Something that helped Andraya Carter, Cierra Burdick and Cam Harris when they were doing color for our SECN+ broadcasts was they were all on campus working on graduate degrees. It makes it a lot easier from a scheduling standpoint when you are already on campus and on the UT payroll, to a certain extent. Draya came up for a few games the next year when she had a flexible job in Atlanta, and her star took off.

He won’t ever take credit for it, but Bob Kesling deserves a lot more credit than he gets for helping her and several others develop as broadcasters. Even back to the days when Kara Lawson did a few games with Bob on the old CSS Network, he has been an outstanding mentor and help to former athletes in a variety of sports that have wanted to break into the broadcasting business. He has certainly been a great help to me on the play-by-play side, but helping develop an analyst is something that requires a keen ear and a willingness to be honest and critical. And credit to all of those people for accepting the constructive criticism and improving to the point where they stand out on media platforms today.

During a game, I listen to Sportstalk (sometimes) and watch it from an ESPN+/SEC/Network viewer (Hate the network announcers and their unending anecdotes and coach speak) ...Never have had one outlet to sink with the other

You speak of the TN Athletics APP...can you describe it a little and maybe link it...is it on ROKU

The Tennessee Athletics app is for your phone or tablet, it has an audio feed of all of the Vol Network broadcasts of every sport, and is now where your tickets are housed to scan at the gate.

VN Store

Back