Mickey Dearstone successor...

LOL! Do you know Brian? I do - he's one the most kind, unassuming guys you will meet. He's like a young Mike Keith. He has a passion for women's sports and the University of Tennessee in general. The guy knows his stuff. Guess who's been sitting at the scorer's table wearing the striped shirt for all the Lady Vols' home basketball games the last several seasons?! He's done the unglamorous work that prepared him for this job.

I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't agree with rice as the voice of the lady vols basketball. I don't care if my opinion will be called out but we would be better off with anyone else. If Wilkerson wasn't doing baseball would the best choice. I make no excuses that I'm not a rice fan by any means. In my personal opinion he's a person that thinks way to high of himself. Sorry.

I think Dearstone was a faithful, knowledgable and immensely LOYAL fan/announcer for the Lady Vols for many years, and I am grateful for all the wonderful stories he'll (hopefully) continue to share of his wonderful years as someone who closely witnessed those years we oldsters now think of as the glory years.

But since Mickey has stepped aside, I am more than happy to welcome a new voice in Brian Rice. One, Brian has (IMO) an appealing sound in both tone and tenor; two, he seems to truly love Tennessee Lady Vols basketball; and, three, I believe he is going to be the type of guy who does his homework.

Dearstone was amazing at play-by-play for those who were forced to depend ONLY on radio to "watch" the games. This is a FACT. But I feel like Rice may have it in him to rise to the challenge of making sure that much-appreciated service to fans is still provided.

Hopefully he'll be an awesome combination of what worked best in the past with whatever tweaks might need to be made to make broadcasts appealing going forward.

Do your best by the greatest fans in all of women's college basketball, Brian Rice. That's all we can ask.

I guess I'm in the minority that doesn't agree with rice as the voice of the lady vols basketball. I don't care if my opinion will be called out but we would be better off with anyone else. If Wilkerson wasn't doing baseball would the best choice. I make no excuses that I'm not a rice fan by any means. In my personal opinion he's a person that thinks way to high of himself. Sorry.

Sorry I've left you with that impression, but I hope you'll listen to the games anyway. The kids deserve it.

You'll definitely need a thick skin, Brian. As you know, the more passionate the fan base, the more hyper-critical the fan base. To some you'll be The Man, and to others you'll be The Meh.

It's the nature of the beast.

Your biggest fear should always be indifference among this knowledgable fanship. Be bold, man. Be supremely educated and prepared. Have integrity. Grow rapport with fans in the stands before and after games. Be someone supporters are thrilled to meet because they have heard in your voice that you share their intense love for Tennessee Lady Vols Basketball and believe that by talking to you they are, somehow, just a little bit closer to LV HEAVEN.

That's it. Easy peasy! 😁

Very nice addition for the Lady Vols - congrats Brian !!!
He has grown and become an excellent in-game announcer over the years and will make an excellent replacement for Mr. Dearstone.

I honestly wouldn't mind Brian filling on for Kessling one or two times on the football broadcast just to see how he likes it and how he does.
As others have pointed out in the past - the two games have a different pace (much as softball and basketball) and require a different approach when calling the game.
It would be interesting to see how he would fair.

Congratulations to Mr. Rice on becoming the new LV play by play announcer.

I think John Wilkerson will eventually succeed Bob Kesling in calling the football and basketball games.

LOL! Do you know Brian? I do - he's one the most kind, unassuming guys you will meet. He's like a young Mike Keith. He has a passion for women's sports and the University of Tennessee in general. The guy knows his stuff. Guess who's been sitting at the scorer's table wearing the striped shirt for all the Lady Vols' home basketball games the last several seasons?! He's done the unglamorous work that prepared him for this job.

No I don't know him outside of lady softball and the sports animal. I'm not saying he's a bad guy I'm just not a fan and while I enjoyed his softball calls, I'm sure he's going to do fine but not a fan. I'm not saying he can't do the job just think UT didn't make the best choice.

So you made a judgement of his personality and character by listening to him on the radio?!
OMG! What a world we live in today. 😖

No I don't know him outside of lady softball and the sports animal. I'm not saying he's a bad guy I'm just not a fan and while I enjoyed his softball calls, I'm sure he's going to do fine but not a fan. I'm not saying he can't do the job just think UT didn't make the best choice.

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
Congratulations, Brian! I am sure you will do a great job, just as you do (did?) for the softball team. As for putting an "analyst" with him, I prefer not. The best thing about radio broadcasts, for me, is that there is just one person calling the game and not lots of extraneous stuff. I tend to turn off sound on TV because of all the talk, talk, talk about everything but the game in progress.

Curious who you believe may have been a better choice?

Curious who you believe may have been a better choice?

Personally I would love for John to have gotten the job but he's the voice of baseball. But that's a personal opinion. While Brian was great at softball which is slow and with John baseball is slow also but basketball is a different animal. I just think John would have been a better choice JMHO. I hope Brian does great but I'm not a fan. Are you a fan of Kesling?

Vince Ferarra already joins the broadcast could take over baseball and John could take lady basketball. Once again MHO

Last edited:

I got so tired of hearing anecdotes and interviews ,,, instead of what was going on on the court. They'd sub four and it would be 5 min before you realized it happened..

If he just does play-by-play I am 100% in

Sorry I've left you with that impression, but I hope you'll listen to the games anyway. The kids deserve it.
I don’t have an opinion on Mr. Crice one way or the other. But, does it surprise anyone else that he would be responding to posts on this board? Bigger fish to fry?🤔

Reactions: VolunteerNut
That's his dedication to his job. He posts here and Volquest and is very active on Twitter and Facebook as well. He's dedicated to his job on the SportsAnimal and University of Tennessee sports. We're lucky to have him available to call Lady Vol Basketball.

BTW, In all of those social media platforms and forums, he's only had one negative comment. Guess who?! 🙄

I don’t have an opinion on Mr. Crice one way or the other. But, does it surprise anyone else that he would be responding to posts on this board? Bigger fish to fry?🤔

If a person wants to know their public impression all they have to do is read the social medias that knows them most. VolNation is a very rare commodity, it has a significant following and influence. TN is second among all colleges on social media posts. He would be foolish to ignore such a source as this.
Not LIVE by it, but be aware of it..A wise announcer would indeed read and input into this forum.

Very few actually know Brian.

I don't...

...yet
;o)

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Why not meet fans where they are?

When it comes to criticism, people are welcome to their opinions of me, the broadcasts, etc. that's all fair when you're doing a public job. But I have bosses to answer to and mentors that provide advice along the way. Their feedback and evaluation is the most important. But to completely ignore what fans think would just be ignorant on my part.

When it comes to criticism, people are welcome to their opinions of me, the broadcasts, etc. that's all fair when you're doing a public job. But I have bosses to answer to and mentors that provide advice along the way. Their feedback and evaluation is the most important. But to completely ignore what fans think would just be ignorant on my part.

So glad it's you who will follow beloved Mickey Dearstone. Big shoes to fill and you'll do a great job. Forgive us fans for lamenting that we won't like anyone's calling like we did Mickey's.... It's kinda like following Pat Summitt or Bear Bryant. Good luck, have fun, glad to have you.

walter cronkite who broadcase in the 60s and 70s is the last radio/television journalist that the Nation trusted. I use him deliberately non-sports for his method of presenting the nightly stories but also because of his voice, his intonation. In sports we fans identify with the methodology of reporting the ongoing game, but also we can be calmed or become irritated by individual announcers. (name two female announcers associated with ESPN that you believe have bias against the LVs)

Trust, LV appropriate bias, voice intonation, mannerisms we grow to expect and love, and of course when the ball goes in the basket during a close game - what words does he use EVErytime - that we come to expect!

And my pet peeve in participating in interviews with the coach and players, before games and afterward - Can Brian ask questions or open conversation with few quality words to set up the coach/player rather than a need to be heard. A professional skill.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Well, okey dokey then! I’m a fan! Here’s what I think! Try your best to get someone else to announce with you. I always think teams are better than individual announcers. It would be great if said second/color announcer were perhaps a Lady Vol looking to get a foot into announcing. Sounds like it is time for you to be a mentor😃!

VN Store

Back