The Golf Thread

Genuine question, not being a smartass....

What makes it acceptable for other professional athletes (NFL, MLB, NBA, any soccer league, ect) to have players sign million dollar contracts to play and compete, but it is not acceptable for golfers to do so? Those professional athletes in other sports, as a team instead of individual, could finish dead last and it would make no difference. They would still be getting paid. What makes it dishonorable for golfers to pursue the same security that other professional athletes get?

Is it because it's the Saudis and LIV? The separate it from them if so. What if it were a league created by a group without questionable motives based in the US that wanted to sign golfers to pre-paid contracts to compete on their tour? Would that be equally reprehensible?
For me personally it’s not the guaranteed pay or even just LIV although I don’t like the 3 day or team format stuff personally. I feel like LIV approached this from a stance of we have money and we will do whatever we want. But now they want OWGR points etc, why not do that at the very beginning before you ever started? My issues with the players who left is not that they are getting guaranteed money. I’m fine with that and think the PGA should make changes, for the example players not making the cut need to be paid. But they left knowing that LIV hadn’t gone through what they needed to be approved and took their pay day which is fine and good for them, but now they don’t seem to want to deal with any repercussions from that decision either.

For me personally it’s not the guaranteed pay or even just LIV although I don’t like the 3 day or team format stuff personally. I feel like LIV approached this from a stance of we have money and we will do whatever we want. But now they want OWGR points etc, why not do that at the very beginning before you ever started? My issues with the players who left is not that they are getting guaranteed money. I’m fine with that and think the PGA should make changes, for the example players not making the cut need to be paid. But they left knowing that LIV hadn’t gone through what they needed to be approved and took their pay day which is fine and good for them, but now they don’t seem to want to deal with any repercussions from that decision either.

The pga tour made their decisions after the fact. I guess they didn’t think any of the top golfers would leave but now they’re left with a little egg on their face. While they have made changes to increase purses they still aren’t doing anything to look out for guys that are fighting for their cards and just to make a living. On top of that they added more events and made scheduling even worse.

What makes it acceptable for other professional athletes (NFL, MLB, NBA, any soccer league, ect) to have players sign million dollar contracts to play and compete, but it is not acceptable for golfers to do so? Those professional athletes in other sports, as a team instead of individual, could finish dead last and it would make no difference. They would still be getting paid. What makes it dishonorable for golfers to pursue the same security that other professional athletes get?

Is it because it's the Saudis and LIV? The separate it from them if so. What if it were a league created by a group without questionable motives based in the US that wanted to sign golfers to pre-paid contracts to compete on their tour? Would that be equally reprehensible?
I have no problem with them getting paid a ton of money to play golf. I was just pointing out that I don’t see how not playing PGA events causes them some kind of irreparable harm. Also I have no interest in the tour at this point. The players all suck except for a couple and the format and atmosphere doesn’t interest me at all. I see no reason to give bad players beating other bad players a bunch of OWGR points. You want to get ranked high, then go beat the big boys. Oh wait, you’ve already proven you can’t do that anymore.

I have no problem with them getting paid a ton of money to play golf. I was just pointing out that I don’t see how not playing PGA events causes them some kind of irreparable harm. Also I have no interest in the tour at this point. The players all suck except for a couple and the format and atmosphere doesn’t interest me at all. I see no reason to give bad players beating other bad players a bunch of OWGR points. You want to get ranked high, then go beat the big boys. Oh wait, you’ve already proven you can’t do that anymore.

How many major winners play on the sunshine tour? Asian tour? Korn ferry tour?

The quibble, or at least the stated quibble, that critics have with LIV is the source of the money. They consider it dirty. Fair enough, but this debate has not really taken place when the Saudis invest in other things, like most Fortune 500 companies or European soccer teams.

My sense is that what critics of LIV (who are almost always huge advocates of the PGA Tour, BTW) actually don't like is that it is a competing tour, it has a ton of money to throw around, and they consider it to be a threat. Plain and simple. I think there would be at least some criticism of any competing tour, even if that competing tour was run by saints. But since the Saudis have done a lot of bad things, the "dirty money" argument is really easy to make.

I personally think that LIV, at least at this point, is something of a joke. However that does not mean that it is not a threat to the PGA Tour, and the PGA Tour knows it. Outside of a couple of events a year like The Players and the Tour Championship, PGA Tour events are not really compelling TV either. The Tour does not control the majors or the Ryder Cup. The "but it is dirty money" argument, while true, is fairly disingenuous. I do not think that is why LIV critics actually dislike LIV.

LIV players lost their legal request to play FedEx Playoffs the next three weeks. Judge said they didn’t prove “irreparable harm”. She went on to say they get to play their game in the US and actually are much better off financially on LIV than on PGA tour since their LIV contract value was calculated based on potential future earnings on PGA tour.

LIV players lost their legal request to play FedEx Playoffs the next three weeks. Judge said they didn’t prove “irreparable harm”. She went on to say they get to play their game in the US and actually are much better off financially on LIV than on PGA tour since their LIV contract value was calculated based on potential future earnings on PGA tour.
It also came out that the LIV players do not get winnings on top of their contract until their contracted salary is met. Which seems to be the opposite of what was originally claimed.

Typically, I can never put two decent nines together. I’ll shoot a 45 or similar score on the front nine and then shoot anywhere from 37-39 on the back nine. Yesterday was the first time since I’ve been playing golf that I was able to put together two decent nines together. I hope this trend can continue.

Reactions: GAVol
Lots of drama regarding the LIV Tour last several days. Cameron Smith seems to be backpedaling off the PGA Tour quickly, on his way to LIV. Turned down his post tournament press conference and bailed out of the next playoff tournament with sudden hip injury syndrome. Wonder if the injury will linger until the playoffs are over. He may have decided trying to win the playoffs $18m as his last hurrah, wasn’t a good look. Patrick Reed sued Brandel Chamblee on grounds that he thinks Chamblee has a nine year smear campaign against him. And Tiger Woods rallying the PGA guys together to most likely transition from defensive to offensive mode against the LIV tour.

Lots of drama regarding the LIV Tour last several days. Cameron Smith seems to be backpedaling off the PGA Tour quickly, on his way to LIV. Turned down his post tournament press conference and bailed out of the next playoff tournament with sudden hip injury syndrome. Wonder if the injury will linger until the playoffs are over. He may have decided trying to win the playoffs $18m as his last hurrah, wasn’t a good look. Patrick Reed sued Brandel Chamblee on grounds that he thinks Chamblee has a nine year smear campaign against him. And Tiger Woods rallying the PGA guys together to most likely transition from defensive to offensive mode against the LIV tour.
The Patrick Reed thing is completely ridiculous. Anybody with any insight into Reed’s career knows he’s been shady since his days at UGA.

More like nearly impossible. Brandel Chamblee is hardly the only person to call out Reed’s antics.
Brandel Chamblee gives me disconcerting feelings. Everybody seems to think he's a huge dick except me. I'm not usually in that position; normally people who I think are huge dicks everybody agrees is a dick. Does that mean I'm a dick?

The dude is paid to give an opinion, and sometimes those opinions are highly critical. Most of the time, his critical opinions seem entirely warranted to me. He doesn't do it in an unprovoked or over-the-top fashion. He also compliments guys too. I've never understood the hate directed towards him. I've noticed that his critics never seem to attack the substance of what he's saying and always default to "He's just butthurt he didn't have a great pro career." Maybe that is true, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

Reactions: GAVol
Brandel Chamblee gives me disconcerting feelings. Everybody seems to think he's a huge dick except me. I'm not usually in that position; normally people who I think are huge dicks everybody agrees is a dick. Does that mean I'm a dick?

The dude is paid to give an opinion, and sometimes those opinions are highly critical. Most of the time, his critical opinions seem entirely warranted to me. He doesn't do it in an unprovoked or over-the-top fashion. He also compliments guys too. I've never understood the hate directed towards him. I've noticed that his critics never seem to attack the substance of what he's saying and always default to "He's just butthurt he didn't have a great pro career." Maybe that is true, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.
I agree. He’s just somebody with an opinion. He’s never offensive. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don’t, but it’s completely narcissistic to think Chamblee spends enough time caring about Patrick Reed to want to ruin him.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Sort of am I the a-hole question for the fellow golfers here. So, I was playing a round today. Sitting on the fairway in my cart waiting for the green to clear. As I’m sitting there WHACK someone from the tee on the hole beside me slices one and it hit the handle of my cart. Got really lucky to not be hit by that hall. The tee box is blocked by trees so I don’t think they could of saw me there, but there was no fore or right or anything yelled. I wasn’t mad because I knew it was an accident, but since no one has as behind me I waited for them to come up. Now again I wasn’t mad, a little shook from realizing how close a call I had, yeah. So I don’t think I had a rude tone, if anything maybe nervous sounding, but when they came up I pointed to where their ball was and said “yeah, it actually hit my cart. You know if you hit one towards another hole and you can’t see where it’s gonna land just yell fore to be safe.” So the guy snaps back pretty quickly and was like “well you can’t see from that tee box we didn’t know where you were” kind of rudely at that. At that point I do get a little ticked and was like yeah that’s the point before driving off. So, was I being the jerk by sitting there and waiting until his partner hit his second shot and for them came over to say something?

Sort of am I the a-hole question for the fellow golfers here. So, I was playing a round today. Sitting on the fairway in my cart waiting for the green to clear. As I’m sitting there WHACK someone from the tee on the hole beside me slices one and it hit the handle of my cart. Got really lucky to not be hit by that hall. The tee box is blocked by trees so I don’t think they could of saw me there, but there was no fore or right or anything yelled. I wasn’t mad because I knew it was an accident, but since no one has as behind me I waited for them to come up. Now again I wasn’t mad, a little shook from realizing how close a call I had, yeah. So I don’t think I had a rude tone, if anything maybe nervous sounding, but when they came up I pointed to where their ball was and said “yeah, it actually hit my cart. You know if you hit one towards another hole and you can’t see where it’s gonna land just yell fore to be safe.” So the guy snaps back pretty quickly and was like “well you can’t see from that tee box we didn’t know where you were” kind of rudely at that. At that point I do get a little ticked and was like yeah that’s the point before driving off. So, was I being the jerk by sitting there and waiting until his partner hit his second shot and for them came over to say something?

Played Saturday afternoon, had a twosome in front of us and they had a foursome in front of them. We paced ourselves accordingly so not to have to wait every single shot. On the 4th hole some single comes up begins us and in the middle of the hole yells if he can play through. My buddy tells him yea as I tell him some certain expletives. The dude was god awful on top of that and was running around like he’s playing speed golf. The crazy thing was we had to wait on him the rest of the front 9 on every hole. I suppose the other groups wouldn’t let him through.

Since you asked. This is just me but I never try to coach anyone on their golf game on the course or police the golf course. Learned a long time ago that doing either one of those usually doesn’t work out well. If you had been hit and injured then different story. But otherwise I would have just kept on playing. Also, for me “Fore” is a marginally effective technique. If you hear it and immediately curl up in a ball with your arms protecting your head, then good deal. But if you hear it and start looking around for the flying ball, not so good of a deal.

I don't think you were a jerk at all. You get hit by a projectile and it's bound to stress you a little. But cut the guy some slack for not yelling fore. I'm not sure many of us would yell fore "just in case" if they didn't actually see people. At the same time though, if you hit one near somebody, it's on you and you just have to take whatever you get and apologize whether you think you owe it or not.

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back