Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nothing but these Yankee dweebs. In the last couple months the houses that sold welcomed 1 Delaware, 1 Illinois, 2 California, 1 New Jersey and 2 new york. Nothing went to locals as far as I can tell. Sad to see some of the renters have a tough time getting a house when northerners are paying 30k over asking and paying down the appraisal. It's slowing down now though. Hope they default lol.

Yep, I bought my house in Orange Park last summer and kept getting outbid by northerners. After 6 or 7 times of that happening I got a call from my real estate agent saying that the first house I put an offer on was available because the financing for the people who were going to buy it fell through and it was mine if I wanted it.....not sure where they were from and hope they got something but glad it worked out that way because it was the house we liked best, is in a nice neighborhood with no HOA but everyone keeps up their property and it's right beside an elementary school and a high school. It's about 7 miles down Blanding from 295 so it's away from the busy area and no crime. Perfect home for my family and we are blessed.

The action wasn’t where the ref came running from…. Apparently…. The one ref that you can barely see backing up is the one people were after. You are not suppose to be on the court in the middle of a game so it’s obvious something was going on.

Man, I would love to know where you got your information about this incident, but I suspect it is just random social media gossip and I hope you are taking it with a couple of tons of salt.

Yes, for my maiden post to VN, I’m digging this one up from the back pages (in my defense, I’ve been waiting for posting privileges after making an account). Then again, I knew as soon as this incident happened at my son’s game, it would show up here and be the reason I finally made a VolNation account.

Backstory: I’ve been lurking this site for years. I’m experienced enough that I stay away from the FF and exclusively browse the RF. I grew up in and around Knoxville and became an avid fan of the Vols in ’85--my dad and I made the Sugar Bowl VHS tape bleed over the years. I was a student during the Peyton years and was in the stadium with my brother for many memorable games-- Graham capping a comeback against Bama in ’96, Jamal Lewis breaking out against Georgia, and, of course, watching the kick sail wide and rushing the field against Florida.

I moved to OKC for grad school with the intention of splitting as soon as I could. But then I met a local girl, had a kid, and then a divorce. His mom wasn’t going anywhere, and I’m not leaving my son, so I’m seeing it through in this god forsaken place until he is 18. Fortunately my family is scattered around Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville, so I never stay gone too long.

Anyway, as mentioned, that team in yellow in that video is my son’s team. My son is a 6’1” 13-year-old and loves basketball. His team has spent the past year winning multiple local and regional tournaments.

Their coach is a good man. I consider ourselves fortunate to have our son playing and learning from him. I’ve never seen him lose his temper in practice or in a game. We’ve played for other coaches who single a kid out for humiliation, or make the game about themselves. This guy is not that kind of coach--he is one who makes sure the entire team knows they are accountable for any single mistake. He never hesitates to follow stern instruction with praise. Again, I’ve never once seen him lose his temper or act the fool on the sideline.

This incident was completely out of character for this coach and this team and has shaken everyone to the core. The national social media narrative (that some here have taken to all too easily) is this is another instance of a ref getting pushed too far, but that is far from the truth. First, it’s important to know that our coach and both refs involved know each other outside the game. Second, our coach is also a ref, so he knows both sides. The ref who started this is well-known in the area as a hothead, and our team (and others) typically request he not be allowed to ref any tournaments we enter. Still, with all of that, there is no excuse for how it escalated like it did.

Prior to what you see on the video, the ref had called two consecutive Techs on our team—both calls were weak and seemingly targeted (incidentally, the second came after a call on my son for a block that was as clean as a Celsius bank account). Winning can put a target on your back--this is youth sports and there are petty agendas—you live with it. But this time we didn’t live with it. This is where our coach wishes he could have reacted differently, but when he complained about the second tech (not politely, granted), the ref tossed him out of the game. Again, I’ve never previously seen our coach react to refs, but he was in the moment and ran out on the court and got in his face (remember, these two know each other well on and off the court). The ref, standing within a foot of our coach, it him square in the face with a basketball.

I say this clearly: the ref’s actions were completely unprovoked for anyone not nursing a fragile ego.

Our coach reacted like 99% of you here would after a ball is deliberately thrown at your face—he swung, but fortunately missed. All hell broke loose. Some parents ran out and held our coach back. There was yelling and pushing and chaos, but the incident in the video never had to happen.

The guy who got punched was just out there trying to make sense. I guess he could have stayed in the bleachers, but when your kid is out in the middle of that, you don’t process, you react. He is the ‘nice guy’ on the team. He is the one always giving kids rides and making sure they have everything they need. No one, not even the ref who threw the punch, can say why he was targeted. He was out before he hit the ground. He has multiple skull fractures. My ex is an MD, and she attended him while he was unconscious on the floor gurgling blood.

The woman who got knocked over is going through chemo and was just trying to comprehend the situation. The kid who helped her up is her son.

The entire team is shaken—more so the parents and coaches. We had a pool party and long talk as a team the other night. We are laying low. Our coach asked us to stay off social media and not respond to any of this, but here I am writing this. I just want people to understand there is a human element behind these types of videos, and a lot more to the situations than what a short clip and a lot of loud mouths on Twitter/Reddit reveal. The ref who threw the punch feels terrible. Our coach feels terrible. A lot of people are talking out of their… .

Our kids will be stronger though.

Tl;dr: An a$$hole ref went overboard, a man lost his temper, things got out of control, another man got sucker punched, a lot of people came out with bs opinions and bad hot takes. OU sucks.

Unfortunately, I don't think Martin ever finishes GoT.
I'm starting to agree with you. Might finish the next one, but probably not the last. I think he trialed the ending with the TV show and realized it was received horribly, and now his confidence is shaken too much for him to finish. Wild theory, but I can't think of another reason for him to be taking so dang long. Hopefully he has a good outline for another author to finish posthumously a LA WoT.

I got 23 notices (prob book recs - yay!) to go through but y'all I'm a bit shook. Not in a good way. Last night, some woman came to our door about midnight claiming she needed help. She wanted to come in but that's been a setup here in the past and so it went porch light is on for you - wait here and we will call the police and they will help you.

The police got here and told us they'd dealt with her the night before. She keeps running off but I think they know who she is. They think it was def. a setup and that not letting her in was the correct call.

Man, I would love to know where you got your information about this incident, but I suspect it is just random social media gossip and I hope you are taking it with a couple of tons of salt.

Yes, for my maiden post to VN, I’m digging this one up from the back pages (in my defense, I’ve been waiting for posting privileges after making an account). Then again, I knew as soon as this incident happened at my son’s game, it would show up here and be the reason I finally made a VolNation account.

Backstory: I’ve been lurking this site for years. I’m experienced enough that I stay away from the FF and exclusively browse the RF. I grew up in and around Knoxville and became an avid fan of the Vols in ’85--my dad and I made the Sugar Bowl VHS tape bleed over the years. I was a student during the Peyton years and was in the stadium with my brother for many memorable games-- Graham capping a comeback against Bama in ’96, Jamal Lewis breaking out against Georgia, and, of course, watching the kick sail wide and rushing the field against Florida.

I moved to OKC for grad school with the intention of splitting as soon as I could. But then I met a local girl, had a kid, and then a divorce. His mom wasn’t going anywhere, and I’m not leaving my son, so I’m seeing it through in this god forsaken place until he is 18. Fortunately my family is scattered around Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville, so I never stay gone too long.

Anyway, as mentioned, that team in yellow in that video is my son’s team. My son is a 6’1” 13-year-old and loves basketball. His team has spent the past year winning multiple local and regional tournaments.

Their coach is a good man. I consider ourselves fortunate to have our son playing and learning from him. I’ve never seen him lose his temper in practice or in a game. We’ve played for other coaches who single a kid out for humiliation, or make the game about themselves. This guy is not that kind of coach--he is one who makes sure the entire team knows they are accountable for any single mistake. He never hesitates to follow stern instruction with praise. Again, I’ve never once seen him lose his temper or act the fool on the sideline.

This incident was completely out of character for this coach and this team and has shaken everyone to the core. The national social media narrative (that some here have taken to all too easily) is this is another instance of a ref getting pushed too far, but that is far from the truth. First, it’s important to know that our coach and both refs involved know each other outside the game. Second, our coach is also a ref, so he knows both sides. The ref who started this is well-known in the area as a hothead, and our team (and others) typically request he not be allowed to ref any tournaments we enter. Still, with all of that, there is no excuse for how it escalated like it did.

Prior to what you see on the video, the ref had called two consecutive Techs on our team—both calls were weak and seemingly targeted (incidentally, the second came after a call on my son for a block that was as clean as a Celsius bank account). Winning can put a target on your back--this is youth sports and there are petty agendas—you live with it. But this time we didn’t live with it. This is where our coach wishes he could have reacted differently, but when he complained about the second tech (not politely, granted), the ref tossed him out of the game. Again, I’ve never previously seen our coach react to refs, but he was in the moment and ran out on the court and got in his face (remember, these two know each other well on and off the court). The ref, standing within a foot of our coach, it him square in the face with a basketball.

I say this clearly: the ref’s actions were completely unprovoked for anyone not nursing a fragile ego.

Our coach reacted like 99% of you here would after a ball is deliberately thrown at your face—he swung, but fortunately missed. All hell broke loose. Some parents ran out and held our coach back. There was yelling and pushing and chaos, but the incident in the video never had to happen.

The guy who got punched was just out there trying to make sense. I guess he could have stayed in the bleachers, but when your kid is out in the middle of that, you don’t process, you react. He is the ‘nice guy’ on the team. He is the one always giving kids rides and making sure they have everything they need. No one, not even the ref who threw the punch, can say why he was targeted. He was out before he hit the ground. He has multiple skull fractures. My ex is an MD, and she attended him while he was unconscious on the floor gurgling blood.

The woman who got knocked over is going through chemo and was just trying to comprehend the situation. The kid who helped her up is her son.

The entire team is shaken—more so the parents and coaches. We had a pool party and long talk as a team the other night. We are laying low. Our coach asked us to stay off social media and not respond to any of this, but here I am writing this. I just want people to understand there is a human element behind these types of videos, and a lot more to the situations than what a short clip and a lot of loud mouths on Twitter/Reddit reveal. The ref who threw the punch feels terrible. Our coach feels terrible. A lot of people are talking out of their… .

Our kids will be stronger though.

Tl;dr: An a$$hole ref went overboard, a man lost his temper, things got out of control, another man got sucker punched, a lot of people came out with bs opinions and bad hot takes. OU sucks.
Thanks for sharing the story. I hope everyone has a full recovery and also hope that everyone involved learns something from it.

Here is a fun off-season question. Name a Tennessee player from past years that improved significantly from one year to another.

Then, tell me a player that you think can do the same this year.

My answer to the first question: Cedric Tillman is the obvious answer for me. I took the easy way out on this one.

This year, I think someone that will improve a lot will be Trevon Flowers.
Dan Williams

Jimmy Holliday

I'm starting to agree with you. Might finish the next one, but probably not the last. I think he trialed the ending with the TV show and realized it was received horribly, and now his confidence is shaken too much for him to finish. Wild theory, but I can't think of another reason for him to be taking so dang long. Hopefully he has a good outline for another author to finish posthumously a LA WoT.
That is a good idea about why it has been delayed for so long. I do believe that I read somewhere that he has stated if he passes, he does not want someone to finish the series for him, but I am not positive about that.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I just can't get into audio books
I prefer to read, but do not have the time like I used to. I have about an hour commute each way and that is when I do most of my listening. If I am walking out on the track or doing something really boring, like cleaning the kitchen, I will listen at those times too.

Try the first Law trilogy by Abercrombie or audio theater version of Hyperion. If you can't enjoy either of those via audio, you'll know for sure you can never enjoy audio. Two best I've ever listened to.

Will give a shot. I love First Law series. Ii just can't visualize audio and that takes enjoyment out of it for me. Will give it a shot after Malazan. I'm halway through Midnight Tides right now....least favorite entry so far but damn I love the series. Memories of Ice was amazing. Quick Ben and Dancer/Cotillion are favorite characters so far.

Besides Lovecraft, have you ever read any of the old horror from the early 20th century? A lot of it is free (or extremely cheap) on the kindle store like the works of MR James, Arthur Machen, Robert Chambers, and Algernon Blackwood? They are mostly short stories and a few novella length. I can recommend a lot of specific stories if you’re interested.

I have read a handful of Machen stories ages ago but nothing recently. Def. hit me up with some specific ones. I love the old style. :)

South Carolina interview:

-mood in Columbia very high. Folks fired up.
-beating UNC in bowl game lit a fire.
-offense was 86th last year, leaned on run a lot. Bringing in Rattler to unlock offense. They are very excited about Rattler.
-didn't live up to OU expectations last year, but if he simply matches his OU productivity they will be better this year, and everyone expects him to be better and more mature.
-teams will have to at least respect pass game more now. Everyone could load box and play run last year because of poor QB play.
-brought in more weapons from portal
-WR has interesting options. Pretty good depth and talent at WR.
-RB has good depth now too and players that Bud is high on. Thinks run game will free up a bit more for guys that played well last year despite every team knowing they had to run.
-Rattler will be at least good, remains to be seen if he can be great. Certainly an improvement. WRs will be better than they have been in years. RB good.
-Bud brings pouring some water on the hype: OL returns all 9 guys that played at least 100 snaps last year. Tons of experience. But they suck. All of their stats are terrible from last year. They were even bad against lesser teams.
-OL getting two guys back that were injured most of last year.
-safe to assume offense will make big jump from 86th last year, but will they just be top half, or will they be top 25?
-DBs will be good. Safeties a question. Not a lot of depth at safety either. Played walk ons at safety in spring. Bringing in some good freshmen but safety thin.
-LB loses best guy, brings back below average guy as starter. Lot of competition at LB. Staff still figuring that out.
-DL will have to be better, but they lost their best guy.
-They both think that the story on SC this year will be how good the offense is but how much of a liability the defense is
-lose their kicker, who was instrumental for them in their close wins last year
You are a saint for putting yourself through what I assume was torture to listen to

Have you read any Richard Matheson? Wrote I Am Legend. The ending to that book blew me away. Not the same as the Will Smith movie.

James Rollins sigma series is fun.

David Golemon event series is also a fun ride.

Joe Abercrombie is good as well.

Yes! Matheson is amazing. So is Shirley Jackson. (I think most of us have read her story "The Lottery" but she has more). I haven't read the others (more going on the list!)

Reactions: scienceteaching_vol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back