'19 CA ATH/WR Horace "Bru" McCoy (Tennessee commit)

When did he EMPLOY the exemption and play a season without sitting out the normal year? Not when he went from USC to TX and not when he returned to USC. So where is his ONE TIME?
Is that how the exemption rule is written? Or is it written to say that the exemption exists for someone who hasn't transferred before?

"In order to meet the criteria for the one-time exception, the student athlete: Must not have tranferred previously from a 4 year institution..."

Reactions: MarcoVol
I do, too. He has been out of football for a year, and it appears the new proposal will be to allow unlimited transfers.
He wasn’t even allowed on campus and taken off the football roster…. As long as there is not something that we don’t know about…. He should be eligible, imo.

He wasn’t even allowed on campus and taken off the football roster…. As long as there is not something that we don’t know about…. He should be eligible, imo.

1x transfer only applies if you haven’t transferred before according to the rules. I’m sure UT compliance dept has their own research on how to figure it out, but that’s what the rule says.

1x transfer only applies if you haven’t transferred before according to the rules. I’m sure UT compliance dept has their own research on how to figure it out, but that’s what the rule says.
He didn’t play last season… he was kicked off campus and removed from the football roster….. he has not been on the USC football roster in more than a year…. I don’t see how they can make him ineligible… obviously…. Tenn thought he would be eligible and AP said he should be eligible…. It might be different if he had been a USC football player last year.

He didn’t play last season… he was kicked off campus and removed from the football roster….. he has not been on the USC football roster in more than a year…. I don’t see how they can make him ineligible… obviously…. Tenn thought he would be eligible and AP said he should be eligible…. It might be different if he had been a USC football player last year.
Didn't he transfer from USC to to_UT and back to USC. If that's the case, I don't see how that could qualify as "hasn't transferred before". But I hope to be wrong and that UT can get him on the field this year.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Didn'tyt he transfer from USC to to_UT and back to USC. If that's the case, I don't see how that could qualify as "hasn't transferred before". But I hope to be wrong and that UT can get him on the field this year.
I don’t think it has anything to do with transferring before…. USC removed him from the roster all of last season…. He has not played/practiced in over a year.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Didn'tyt he transfer from USC to to_UT and back to USC. If that's the case, I don't see how that could qualify as "hasn't transferred before". But I hope to be wrong and that UT can get him on the field this year.
That all happened before the one time free transfer went into place. That transfer does not count.

I don’t think it has anything to do with transferring before…. USC removed him from the roster all of last season…. He has not played/practiced in over a year.
I could see this.

Transfer b/c of loss of scholarship.

Also, he's already sat a year. They want to penalize him more than a year?

Correct?

I do, too. He has been out of football for a year, and it appears the new proposal will be to allow unlimited transfers.
Being out of football for a year has no bearing. It's not like, "oh you took a redshirt" here's a free transfer. It's very very simply "have you transferred before?" Yes or No.

If you're referring to the "Year in Residency" rule, it applies to the current school. The entire purpose of it is/was to help players get accomodated academically. Their own research showed transfers struggled and got behind academically.

That all happened before the one time free transfer went into place. That transfer does not count.
If that were the case, then there would be zero issue here. Nothing in what the NCAA has said mentions a cutoff date or essentially a 2nd transfer. That's why there is an issue.

I still think Aug 3rd could solve this, if what they said is accurate.

Being out of football for a year has no bearing. It's not like, "oh you took a redshirt" here's a free transfer. It's very very simply "have you transferred before?" Yes or No.

If you're referring to the "Year in Residency" rule, it applies to the current school. The entire purpose of it is/was to help players get accomodated academically. Their own research showed transfers struggled and got behind academically.
Maybe back in 1952. Every statistic I’ve seen shows athletes have a better gpa and graduation rate compared to all other students. The transfer sit out rule also only applies to football and basketball. Guess that means all other sports don’t put a strain on academics? The truth is the sit out a season rule is to discourage athletes from transferring and nothing more.

Maybe back in 1952. Every statistic I’ve seen shows athletes have a better gpa and graduation rate compared to all other students. The transfer sit out rule also only applies to football and basketball. Guess that means all other sports don’t put a strain on academics? The truth is the sit out a season rule is to discourage athletes from transferring and nothing more.
No, I wasn't saying athletes had worse GPAs than regular students.

I meant transfer SAs struggled their first year post-transfer vs not transferring. In fact, at one point they were close to simply making a GPA cutoff point, but there were calls of racism because of discrepanies across races within the research data. So it never happened.

And yes, player control is likely a bigger reason. I'm just talking the NCAA's actual argument and why it applies to the current school and sitting out 1 year previously hasn't played a role in how these are viewed.

If that were the case, then there would be zero issue here. Nothing in what the NCAA has said mentions a cutoff date or essentially a 2nd transfer. That's why there is an issue.

I still think Aug 3rd could solve this, if what they said is accurate.
He was eligible to play at USC but redshirted AFTER two technical transfers. If even one of them counted that wouldn’t have been the case. I don’t think it’s going to require an Aug 3 to save this situation.

I don't even see how the one time transfer rule factors in.

You can transfer more than once. You just have to sit a year. He sat last year, so..?

He wasn't enrolled and didn't play a game. So yeah. I don't understand.

Reactions: butchna

VN Store

Back