Kirby Smart worried about NIL, signs contract in excess of $100 million

Totally disagree. Yes Kirby has a bunch of rings a trophies. Yes he has been very successful. But he makes his 10 mil a year off the backs of these kids who rely on the cafeteria to be open to eat in some cases.

No i don't think every kid is entitled to 10k a month, but 2-3k/month is below the poverty level, so there's gotta be some kinda middle ground here. Before anyone says they get free room and board, have you ever lived in a dorm? Its not the Hilton.

Griping about NIL when you make more in a month than most folks do in a year is absurd. Besides, he and his Uncle Daddy Saban are using this same system to their advantage, so its hypocritical in more than 1 way.

Kirby has earned it.
18 year freshmen have not.

I also laugh at the phrase “off the backs of these players”. Most high school athletes would give their left one for a coach and school to make millions “off their backs”

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
That's pretty ironic that he bashes the idea of giving a kid $120k a year as he takes $112 MILLION payout.
He doesn’t like the idea of college football players getting $10K per month…. but of course no issues with himself now making $1 million per month. He’s making that $10K about once every 7 hours for the next decade.

Seriously?
Unfortunately yes. Kirby and Georgia right now and in the future as long as he is there is a insurmountable mountain for us and everyone in the East division to get over. You win the SEC with superior talent on both sides of the ball and especially in the lines of scrimmage. Georgia is dominating that currently, maybe if Heup can bring in 3 straight top ten recruiting classes then we might have a legitimate shot to dethrone them. Georgia is still miles ahead of us in talent and depth.

Kirby is and always has been completely FOS. He has absolutely no self awareness of how hypocritical he is. Dude says what he thinks people want to hear; he has no real stance on anything until he figures out what best serves him.

Reactions: SmokinBob
"But they might blow the money" is not really a compelling reason to not pay someone. We would never say that about an 18-22 year old who had started a business and was trying to sell it for millions to someone. We only say it about football because it interferes with the notions that some people have about the "purity" of the sport, which has been gone since at least the 80s.

The part suggesting that elite high school football players haven’t earned the right to monetize their name, image and likeness.

I didn’t say they don‘t have the right. EVERYONE has the right to be paid whatever entity deems them worthy of that payment. What I am saying is they haven’t earned it by their accomplishments alone, which is the premise by which these companies or entities are offering NIL deals.

I didn’t say they don‘t have the right. EVERYONE has the right to be paid whatever entity deems them worthy of that payment. What I am saying is they haven’t earned it by their accomplishments alone, which is the premise by which these companies or entities are offering NIL deals.
You are correct. Which is why they’re only getting 5k-10k and not a million per month.

Kirby has earned it.
18 year freshmen have not.

I also laugh at the phrase “off the backs of these players”. Most high school athletes would give their left one for a coach and school to make millions “off their backs”

Amd most HS kids dont have talented enough backs for Kirby to make anything of off.

Without the talented athletes Kirby is a regular joe.
With those kids to make bank off of he is worth his 112M. However that doesnt diminish the value those athletes bring to the table

Amd most HS kids dont have talented enough backs for Kirby to make anything of off.

Without the talented athletes Kirby is a regular joe.
With those kids to make bank off of he is worth his 112M. However that doesnt diminish the value those athletes bring to the table

Then why pay coaches anything? According to you they owe all their fortunes to the players

Who are you to say that they "haven't earned it?"

If a business wants to pay $15k/month to an incoming freshman who hasn't played a down yet, so what? It isn't your money. It's up to the business to decide who they want to offer deals to and how much. Maybe they think the recognizability of said freshman is worth what they are paying. If it turns out to not be worth it, then they don't do those types of deals in the future. It's a free market.

Ultimately, any paid endorser gets paid because they have some level of recognition or influence to a target audience, not necessarily because they have accomplished something.

Reactions: SmokinBob
"But they might blow the money" is not really a compelling reason to not pay someone. We would never say that about an 18-22 year old who had started a business and was trying to sell it for millions to someone. We only say it about football because it interferes with the notions that some people have about the "purity" of the sport, which has been gone since at least the 80s.

“Just wait until they have to pay taxes” is the first cousin of that “they might blow the money” argument.

“Purity of the sport” is code for I don’t want to cheer for college kids who make more money than I do. College football stopped being pure decades ago.

“Just wait until they have to pay taxes” is the first cousin of that “they might blow the money” argument.

“Purity of the sport” is code for I don’t want to cheer for college kids who make more money than I do. College football stopped being pure decades ago.
I dont think it's a jealousy thing. Most people dont hold it against kids for going early to the draft.

I thinks it's purely "I dont like change," issue.

Reactions: 05_never_again

It's also holding them to a different standard than they hold themselves to. I am assuming these people who are quick to say "they should play for their school" or "they should have loyalty to the school" or "you gotta prove something before you get paid" have changed jobs, asked for raises, wanted to get paid at their very first job despite having no experience, and probably don't work at the job they do because they love it. It's business. This thing brings in billions of dollars now. This is minor league football, and has been since at least 1980, if not sooner.

In the college athletics landscape of the 1920s, or the 1950s, the NCAA rules against not being able to get paid made sense. The rules against college playing players directly still (kind of) make sense. There was very little to no money in the sport. The creators of those rules could not possibly envision college sports ever bringing in this kind of money.

I dont think it's a jealousy thing. Most people dont hold it against kids for going early to the draft.

I think it is partially jealously, partially "I think my school might be on the wrong side of this change" (I don't hear many Bammers complaining about NIL; it is mostly from fans of programs who are currently down like us), and mostly a response to what they perceive as an attack on their (mistaken) idealistic notions about the sport.

Anecdotally, I see very little separation between "I don't like the NFL because they just go to whichever team offers them the most money" guy and "college players shouldn't get paid" guy.

Reactions: thehill98

Respectfully disagree to an extent.

There were more than a few people here who held it against Alontae Taylor for skipping the bowl game in order to prepare for the Senior Bowl and combine.

Fans generally don’t like chance, unless it benefits them as fans. Fans are more resistant to change when they feel that change benefits something outside of their own self interest.

I maintain whenever someone is worried about how much money someone else is making, more often than not there’s jealousy involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 05_never_again
Respectfully disagree to an extent.

There were more than a few people here who held it against Alontae Taylor for skipping the bowl game in order to prepare for the combine.

Fans generally don’t like chance, unless it benefits them as fans. Fans are more resistant to change when they feel that change benefits something outside of their own self interest.

I maintain whenever someone is worried about how much money someone else is making, more often than not there’s jealousy involved.
When somebody complains about something, and there's an unclear or nebulous reason for it, waaaay more often than not it is simple envy.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright

VN Store

Back