Kirby Smart worried about NIL, signs contract in excess of $100 million

You're right @AthensVol2007. I was wrong and looked at the family of four level. I can't believe how low it is for a single person. No way a family of four can survive on $27k a year without a lot of help/public assistance. It would require wages going up significantly, but that's really unpopular.

What I don't think is fair is to expect everyone to live in a dorm for four or five years so nobody has to pay them above the limits of the scholarship. That ship has sailed anyway. And to my original point, before it devolved into some tangential argument over poverty, Smart makes $6000 a day, so for him to gripe over his guys or any players making enough money to live is still absurd at best.

I have stayed in a dorm and it was a miserable experience. The lack of privacy itself was maddening. Having guests is virtually impossible. Community showers are pretty tough to deal with, especially with a packed schedule. Staying there 4 years would be pure insanity, much less 1 or 2.

I assume these guys share apartments and houses so they don't have to live in a dorm after year 1 or 2. So the total amount could be shared to make it a little less. I have no clue what average rent is in Knoxville. Around here its $1200-1500 for a 2-3 BR apartment in the city, so I assume its close to that there. You still have to pay utilities, so that's typically $300-500 a month, minimum.

So that gives them between $1500 - $2500 to pay for a phone, clothes, any kind of groceries that can't leave the cafeteria, a car, car insurance. I'm not sure what the public transportation is like up there, but its non existent here except very downtown business district. I also assume the cafeteria is not open 24-7, nor would I expect someone that lives off campus to make it for every meal.

That is not disposable income. These are bare necessities. If what you're saying is that all these things mentioned are not necessities, then no wonder people resort to crime when they start getting desperate. Based on my estimates, the only income they have gets chewed up fast at $3k a month in Knoxville. They might end up with a few hundred bucks of walking around money, assuming their car doesn't break down, they don't go see their momma, and they don't buy any Christmas presents.
I don’t know where you live but you’re grossly overestimating the cost of living in Knoxville and athletes got money for off campus living, prior to NIL. If their utilities are $500 month (even $300) in an apartment then they sleep with the lights on and the shower and dishwasher running 24/7. I’ve never seen a $300 utility bill in my life for a house and I even shower regularly and have avoided swamp-ass or frostbite indoors from power conservation. I’m ok with them getting money to cover expenses and I’m in agreement that Kirby is a hypocritical, ass; however, $3000 per month is more than enough for them to live very comfortably off of when their housing and meals are covered (they should be able to eat 50+% of their meals on campus).

Reactions: DuckInAPen
thread trajectory is pretty amazing for its lack of quality. Why don’t you just fill out some sample tax forms for us? You guys need to have a little pride here. At least bring the Big Mac index into it.

I don’t know where you live but you’re grossly overestimating the cost of living in Knoxville and athletes got money for off campus living, prior to NIL. If their utilities are $500 month (even $300) in an apartment then they sleep with the lights on and the shower and dishwasher running 24/7. I’ve never seen a $300 utility bill in my life for a house and I even shower regularly and have avoided swamp-ass or frostbite indoors from power conservation. I’m ok with them getting money to cover expenses and I’m in agreement that Kirby is a hypocritical, ass; however, $3000 per month is more than enough for them to live very comfortably off of when their housing and meals are covered (they should be able to eat 50+% of their meals on campus).
Utilities includes power, water, gas, sewer, trash, internet, etc. You’re only considering electricity.

My power bill in my 3 br apartment in Hoover 12 years ago was $200. Rent was $980/month.

How much is rent in Athens now?

Your definition of comfort is very different from mine. I would consider living comfortable as paying all my bills and still having at least $800 a month walking around money, bare minimum. That’s $200 a week for anything above and beyond bare necessities. That kinda disposable income ain't jack if you want to travel anywhere outside the confines of the city. That leaves $2200 for rent, utilities, bills, groceries, car payment, gas, insurance. It’s not really that much money.

Last edited:
Utilities includes power, water, gas, sewer, trash, internet, etc. You’re only considering electricity.

My power bill in my 3 br apartment in Hoover 12 years ago was $200. Rent was $980/month.

How much is rent in Athens now?

Your definition of comfort is very different from mine. I would consider living comfortable as paying all my bills and still having at least $800 a month walking around money, bare minimum. That’s $200 a week for anything above and beyond bare necessities. That kinda disposable income ain't jack if you want to travel anywhere outside the confines of the city. That leaves $2200 for rent, utilities, bills, groceries, car payment, gas, insurance. It’s not really that much money.
You’re talking about college KIDS, they’re not supposed to have $800/month laying around as play money, what kind of world is it where college kids have that, outside of Hoover/Mountain Brook daddies boys? You’re right, I’m not including internet in my utilities and every college apt I lived in (at two separate universities) cable and internet was included in the rent. I consider utilities everything else you listed (minus internet) and mine for the month of July was $284 for a 2500 sq ft house and its the highest bill I’ve ever had; thanks to a June/July that’s been hotter than literal hell. My utility bill for June was sub $190 for a family of 3.

College athletes, who again have their rent covered as part of their scholarship (pre-stipend and pre-NIL), have a meal plan on campus (including access to food amenities normal students don’t get), pay nothing for school itself, receive free clothing and shoes, should be able to live HANDSOMELY on $36,000 per year. They don’t need to travel outside the confines of the city other than to go home, they don’t need $200 worth of throw away money per week, theres no reason they should burn even 1 tank of gas a week let alone more than a tank of gas; they spend 75% of their time on campus.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
You’re talking about college KIDS, they’re not supposed to have $800/month laying around as play money, what kind of world is it where college kids have that, outside of Hoover/Mountain Brook daddies boys? You’re right, I’m not including internet in my utilities and every college apt I lived in (at two separate universities) cable and internet was included in the rent. I consider utilities everything else you listed (minus internet) and mine for the month of July was $284 for a 2500 sq ft house and its the highest bill I’ve ever had; thanks to a June/July that’s been hotter than literal hell. My utility bill for June was sub $190 for a family of 3.

College athletes, who again have their rent covered as part of their scholarship (pre-stipend and pre-NIL), have a meal plan on campus (including access to food amenities normal students don’t get), pay nothing for school itself, receive free clothing and shoes, should be able to live HANDSOMELY on $36,000 per year. They don’t need to travel outside the confines of the city other than to go home, they don’t need $200 worth of throw away money per week, theres no reason they should burn even 1 tank of gas a week let alone more than a tank of gas; they spend 75% of their time on campus.
What’s funny is your slight at hoover/mt brook boys. Im from a tiny town in NE alabama. I moved here for work and quickly found out how expensive living here is compared to a one horse town. Hoover just happens to be the best place for us to live for work and school. Good try though.

Im not sure about the rent thing, i think dorm life is covered but unaware of the scholarship covering off campus housing arrangements. I could be wrong about that. Pretty sure the stipend is like 500 bucks. Definitely not enough to live off campus.

These student athletes bring a ton of money to the school. I’m all for them having a few hundred bucks a month to live comfortably. That’s why I put my money where my mouth is and joined the vol club after doing some digging of my own into how that works. Im all for giving these kids more than the bare minimum to live. Yes they’re lucky to have the opportunity to play for UT, and medical care, food, education, etc. I aslo am ok with making sure they can leave campus to get a break, go home, or go get a decent meal not from the cafeteria. Especially if it leads to better talent coming for a better overall experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmchairQB

VN Store

Back