'19 CA ATH/WR Horace "Bru" McCoy (Tennessee commit)

He should still get a waiver because he technically sat out last year.

That would get you a waiver before the transfer rules.

I'd say we shouldn't have to worry

But the NCAA basically improvised a rule in the 11th hour to keep Byron Young out last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they screw us here.
Well, Saban runs the NCAA so could see him eligible Nov 1st. JMHO.

He should still get a waiver because he technically sat out last year.

That would get you a waiver before the transfer rules.

I'd say we shouldn't have to worry

But the NCAA basically improvised a rule in the 11th hour to keep Byron Young out last year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they screw us here.

The "year in residency" rule applies to the current school. They don't care if you took a redshirt or sat out somewhere else. The whole point of it was to say, "hey, transferring is hard enough for students and SAs typically do worse in class as the result of trasnferring, so SAs must sit out one academic year at the current school before they can play".

The question surrounds his double transfer. Technically the move to UT would be his 3rd transfer. USC to Tex to USC to UT. The question is, did players get a clean slate when the one time transfer rule was passed or does he still need a waiver?

Some seem to believe so, but I don't know where it comes from.

All of their Q&A documents merely say the player cannot have transferred before. No mention of when it was or there being a cutoff point. I've read multiple of their Q&A and FAQs, seen nothing that would wipe the slate clean.

Thanks. That seems crazy to me, though. It isn't like McCoy had already taken advantage of the free transfer, so he isn't double-dipping on that new idea.
Agree it seems crazy if, he did in fact, not receive his first waiver.

But their documents make no mention of this as a factor. It is very simply, "has the player transferred previously?"

But I imagine we felt we had a good case going in. Iirc he had a lawsuit vs USC at some point? That could be cause for a contentious environment for the player to be in.

Reactions: cncchris33
You got money on this one? Some kind of vested interest?
Well that's just my guess if they don't know of a timetable. Surely it isn't grades. Iirc he's a very good student. And mere university-university paperwork wouldn't rise to this level. So not sure what else it would be.

Neyor is really good.
He spurned us for Texas.
Bru chose us fortunately.

You can't 100 depend on those stats. So many variables.
For what we do offensively, Bru is far and away better.

Both would thrive honestly.
Yeah I was very excited when Neyor committed and is probably more of a sure thing than Bru, but Bru probably has more upside.

I think Neyor would have killed people deep, but Bru can probably do that, plus take screens to the house and be an incredible blocker. We run those WR picks all the time. Let Bru knock some DB's head off and Hyatt is gone.

Reactions: LittleVol
Well that's just my guess if they don't know of a timetable. Surely it isn't grades. Iirc he's a very good student. And mere university-university paperwork wouldn't rise to this level. So not sure what else it would be.
Answer me this. Why was he IMMEDIATELY eligible at USC after transferring to Texas? Maybe because he never played a game and he had already signed with USC on ESD? This pre-dated the one time free pass instant eligibility exception, so It's almost like the powers that be viewed this the same as when Sheriron Jones transferred to Colorado, participated in their off-season and then changed his mind. If the transfer to Texas counted under the existing rules at the time? He would have had to sit out.

On the pod today...AP doesn't have a clue if he will be eligible this fall, but he is sure he will practice in the fall..
Bru would add a lot to our offense this year, but that being said I still really like the talent we have in that position group.

If he isn’t eligible this fall, I’m not too upset about any of the guys that get a shot to fill his shoes be it a veteran or one of the new freshmen.

VN Store

Back