Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

If you need to be right, then sure you can say it’s that. But Auburn has always been a specter for our basketball program when it comes to recruiting so in general any time they are involved in the final 2-3 of a kid we’re recruiting, it’s hard for me to put a “fan” crystal ball pick in because I just don’t like or feel good about going up against them.
You pretty much just admitted it was that, or at least part that, in your previous post. How many guys have we lost to Auburn? We landed Phillips, Springer, BHH and Johnson all over Auburn off the top of my head, not sure I can think of more than 4 they pulled over us, but maybe? Also, I’m not even sure saying Auburn is in the mix at this point is accurate?

You pretty much just admitted it was that, or at least part that, in your previous post. How many guys have we lost to Auburn? We landed Phillips, Springer, BHH and Johnson all over Auburn off the top of my head, not sure I can think of more than 4 they pulled over us, but maybe? Also, I’m not even sure saying Auburn is in the mix at this point is accurate?

How is it not accurate to say they are in the mix when literally On3 said that Auburn made a major push? I don’t know why you always have to be so argumentative. Here allow me to put it in writing for you:

I, TheMookieMonster, hereby admit that recent recruiting losses in football that had huge NIL implications have me concerned about big ticket recruitments across sports. I concede to BTO that in this debate, he is correct.

If that allows you to enjoy your weekend, happy to provide it.

Well unless you took him saying he thinks Auburn leads to mean he would forecast him to Kentucky I’m not sure how else you’d take that?
I think you can take it to mean that he didn't think Tennessee led anymore, but that it was too close to tell between AU and UK. Therefore, he didn't change his pick because although he gave AU a slight edge, he wasn't ready to fully discount UK. Why change it to from TN to AU, only to change it to UK later, if you weren't more positive?

And alternatively, he could have since picked up wind that Tennessee is back in the driver's seat since he released that article and opinion.

How is it not accurate to say they are in the mix when literally On3 said that Auburn made a major push? I don’t know why you always have to be so argumentative. Here allow me to put it in writing for you:

I, TheMookieMonster, hereby admit that recent recruiting losses in football that had huge NIL implications have me concerned about big ticket recruitments across sports. I concede to BTO that in this debate, he is correct.

If that allows you to enjoy your weekend, happy to provide it.
It's his spiritual gift.

How is it not accurate to say they are in the mix when literally On3 said that Auburn made a major push? I don’t know why you always have to be so argumentative.
I’ll delete the 9 year old tantrum and address the other part…

Edwards said himself that Kentucky & Tennessee were the only 2 teams in consideration, then an article came out that Auburn has made a push and that he will visit them, now the article states he is deciding without visiting Auburn. It was then stated that Kentucky & Tennessee are the front runners if he does not visit Auburn, which he will not. It seems most likely to me that something either changed with Edwards & Auburn or that Shaw just maybe got misled/bad info a bit…either way it would sure seem like Auburn isn’t a factor at this point.

Twist that however you want to fit the “Auburn is the pick” narrative you seem to want to have, but this is a Kentucky & Tennessee battle.

Last edited:
I think you can take it to mean that he didn't think Tennessee led anymore, but that it was too close to tell between AU and UK. Therefore, he didn't change his pick because although he gave AU a slight edge, he wasn't ready to fully discount UK. Why change it to from TN to AU, only to change it to UK later, if you weren't more positive?

And alternatively, he could have since picked up wind that Tennessee is back in the driver's seat since he released that article and opinion.

Thus my point about him not visiting Auburn and Shaw not changing his prediction (to this point) as he stated he was going to.

It's his spiritual gift.
I really wasn’t trying to be, but trying to understand his post…I asked right off the bat if Francis & Tate had him feeling some type of way (totally fine if so, just was asking), he said no and defended that take by stating that anything can happen and that VQ said Auburn leads (VQ never said that). I then replied to it and clarified where the recruitment currently was and he circled back to the recruitments of Francis & Tate making him hesitant and worried (against totally fine), but that is what I was originally asking…that was all.

Honestly, his comments directly tells me he’s picking Tennessee.

Making his decision without even visiting Auburn tells me he has his mind made up.

This is a couple of days old, but coaches have been optimistic about Edwards. Calipari was supposed to see Edwards in KC this week. He will not consider G league, and had no plan to visit Auburn, as of Tuesday. I’d be more worried about KY than Auburn.

Just show him Barnes record vs Calipari head to head.

Thus my point about him not visiting Auburn and Shaw not changing his prediction (to this point) as he stated he was going to.
You said that Shaw stated that he was going to change his pick from Tennessee to Auburn. That isn’t what he said, though. It was simply your inference. That’s all I’m saying. You’re making a definitive connection that wasn’t explicitly stated.

This is a couple of days old, but coaches have been optimistic about Edwards. Calipari was supposed to see Edwards in KC this week. He will not consider G league, and had no plan to visit Auburn, as of Tuesday. I’d be more worried about KY than Auburn.
Yes, as I said earlier, it’s Kentucky vs. Tennessee, that simple.

You said that Shaw stated that he was going to change his pick from Tennessee to Auburn. That isn’t what he said, though. It was simply your inference. That’s all I’m saying. You’re making a definitive connection that wasn’t explicitly stated.
I really don’t see how this quote could be taken to mean anything else…

“I currently have an expert pick for Tennessee, but that will be changing. As things stand, I may give Auburn a slight lead in this recruitment; however, when John Calipari locks in on a player, he is tough to beat.”

Says he will be changing his pick, meaning Tennessee no longer leads in his opinion, says he would give Auburn the slight lead in the recruitment. So as of the date of that article if he was changing his pick, as he said he was, it would sure seem like he would be going with the team he says he thinks has the slight lead 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: SimplemanTN
I really don’t see how this quote could be taken to mean anything else…

“I currently have an expert pick for Tennessee, but that will be changing. As things stand, I may give Auburn a slight lead in this recruitment; however, when John Calipari locks in on a player, he is tough to beat.”

Says he will be changing his pick, meaning Tennessee no longer leads in his opinion, says he would give Auburn the slight lead in the recruitment. So as of the date of that article if he was changing his pick, as he said he was, it would sure seem like he would be going with the team he says he thinks has the slight lead 🤷🏻‍♂️
Or he’s waiting until Auburn separates themselves from UK more than just slightly. Saying he might give AU a slight lead doesn’t exude confidence in AU, especially when he immediately qualifies it by saying Cal is tough to beat for a kid he wants, and factoring in that Edawards has visited UK and not visited AU as of that publishing.

The quote just seems that he was more convinced that it wasn’t Tennessee than he was convinced that it was Auburn.

I can’t explain it any more clearly than that, so if it still hasn’t resonated with you, then I’m not sure where to go with it to make it any clearer.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Or he’s waiting until Auburn separates themselves from UK more than just slightly. Saying he might give AU a slight lead doesn’t exude confidence in AU, especially when he immediately qualifies it by saying Cal is tough to beat for a kid he wants, and factoring in that Edawards has visited UK and not visited AU as of that publishing.

The quote just seems that he was more convinced that it wasn’t Tennessee than he was convinced that it was Auburn.

I can’t explain it any more clearly than that, so if it still hasn’t resonated with you, then I’m not sure where to go with it to make it any clearer.
He said he was going to change his pick, not sit around and wait a couple months and then reasses…he talked as if he had enough info to go ahead and make a change, which given he said Auburn had the lead in his opinion would suggest that pick would be Auburn. I’ll reach out to him and see if I can get him to clarify just who that pick was going to be for ya.

Edwards said himself that Kentucky & Tennessee were the only 2 teams in consideration, then an article came out that Auburn has made a push and that he will visit them, now the article states he is deciding without visiting Auburn. It was then stated that Kentucky & Tennessee are the front runners if he does not visit Auburn, which he will not. It seems most likely to me that something either changed with Edwards & Auburn or that Shaw just maybe got misled/bad info a bit…either way it would sure seem like Auburn isn’t a factor at this point.

Twist that however you want to fit the “Auburn is the pick” narrative you seem to want to have, but this is a Kentucky & Tennessee battle.

I wouldn’t normally revert to a 9-year old tantrum it’s just that every little word I say (and other posters say) is constantly dissected, analyzed, corrected, etc. as if it’s a 50-page thesis paper. If I had just put the original comment “Auburn” in blue font it would have saved a lot of headache.

It’s fine. We can move on, and I’ll be more cautious of how I word things in the future. It’s just sometimes I want to come here and post without having to really think about it. It’s a fan message board. So I don’t always take time to make sure every aspect of my argument is completely sound.

This you...?
He said he was going to change his pick, not sit around and wait a couple months and then reasses…he talked as if he had enough info to go ahead and make a change, which given he said Auburn had the lead in his opinion would suggest that pick would be Auburn. I’ll reach out to him and see if I can get him to clarify just who that pick was going to be for ya.

How’s that a tantrum, I was saying I’ll reach out to him and try to find the answer out we are both bickering about?
I don't think there's a single person on this forum who's familiar with your bloodthirsty desire to be right that believes that was a genuine attempt for clarity rather than a sarcastic quip to drive home your point.

And maybe it's unfair to make that assumption, but that's what your reputation has driven people to believe when you stubbornly dig your heels in and won't let go of silly arguments. You so often just assume that your perspective is the only possible conclusion and leave little to no room for alternative theory. Then you attempt to incessantly bully people into admittance and accepting of your belief as the only possible truth. I've seen it for years and most often choose to ignore it, but I can see why others are so put off by it.

I think everyone, myself included, enjoys the information you bring to this forum, but beating people over the head with your opinion and forcing people to accept it as the only acceptable belief wears people thin.

VN Store

Back