Alabama coach with some interesting comments on 11.7 and Bama disadvantage.

I bet it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it sure seems like a dud now. It’s a good example of what Not To Do. I can’t imagine sitting around and watching TVN 24/7, that’s just me. 🤷‍♂️
We shouldn't let them in the SEC. Make stay there and deal with the mess they created.

Reactions: HeadVol77 and vol66
I think continuing to put an exciting product on the field is the most important thing they can do.

Tennessee just needs to keep wearing the pimp coat, talk mad **** during games, and run the bases with the double birds and you’ll see record numbers of people with ruffled feathers watching the games hoping we lose.

Every baseball player at any P5 school that takes baseball seriously will now be on scholarship. You can have 35 players on your roster and you just have to make sure all 35 have enough NIL money to have their schooling paid for.
Hmm, not sure this is as easy as you say. One, the school itself doesn’t have NIL money. This is up to collectives. Do the collectives see enough return to pay 20k or more a year for 25-30 players? I don’t think that will be hard at UT, considering their trajectory, but not every P5 school has that kind of interest. Think back just 5 years.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So what kind of ideas do you guys have to get these baseball guys compensated(other than full rides, which they should already be getting) and getting college baseball more exposure?
GBO!!

I can’t speak for anyone else. I’ve said for years, make all athletes on campus equal. The argument against it is that baseball, softball, rowing, tennis, golf, soccer, track etc…don’t generate money so why should football players and to a lesser extent basketball pay for everything?

It’s a lame argument. The next is Title IX which is only in place(as it relates to college sports), for women to have an opportunity to play equal to men. That was from the 70’s when there were three networks, the only college baseball you saw was the last game of the CWS…Maybe.

There’s plenty of money to put every athlete on a full ride, right? Would you have to redistribute it to meet new priorities? Sure.

You think NIL is a big deal? Imagine if OUR UT was the first University in the country to say “Equal is Equal!”

Feel free to disagree, discuss, etc…I have been banging this drum for a long time which is kinda like banging your head against a wall. It would solve all that’s wrong with D1 Sports. Yes it might be different for D2, D3, but we aren’t talking about that.

I guess that seems radical but it seems better than NIL because that’s not even close to equal, is it?

I agree on the retail side. You have to know how many to order/prepare of what sizes so that not only does the player make a little money but you do also. I think there are very few guarantees on players selling stuff. If you do custom orders, then it is tough because the costs go up to produce the product. I can see all of the struggles from a business side of the legitimate NIL process. I think, when you say legitimate NIL deals, it is about both sides getting a fair value for their time and energy. The illegitimate NIL deals is businesses or individuals giving money to a player either so they come or stay. These have to be regulated in some extent. I think this will be the downfall of the NIL process because players will be given large sums of money by alumni or supporters of a program. I still do not see this happening extensively in baseball at any point. There are very few teams that have that kind of support in college baseball.
Not sure the legality but it makes more sense for the players to broker the deal together. For example, let’s say they say for 1/2 million you get the tram. That gives each player around $15k-20k. Not sure the logistics, but seems players would have more leverage if they packaged themselves.

Not sure the legality but it makes more sense for the players to broker the deal together. For example, let’s say they say for 1/2 million you get the tram. That gives each player around $15k-20k. Not sure the logistics, but seems players would have more leverage if they packaged themselves.
I think big numbers like that would take a lot of people and businesses out of the market. I spend a quite a bit on advertising. A contract like that would require a lot in return including exclusivity and regular appearances in promotions. Unless of course it's simple a gift.

Don't forget Tampa Bay and Miami. But, they are kinda located in the corner of the SE, so your point stands.

Yep, you’ve got the Florida teams, but if you look at the block of 9 states: NC, SC, GA, KY, TN, AL, MS, LA, AR, you’ve got only one MLB team. I realize some of those are really close to other states with MLB teams, but still very sparse in the southeast.

Yep, you’ve got the Florida teams, but if you look at the block of 9 states: NC, SC, GA, KY, TN, AL, MS, LA, AR, you’ve got only one MLB team. I realize some of those are really close to other states with MLB teams, but still very sparse in the southeast.
The western half of that block leans solid STL.

Reactions: Volprofch05
Volprofch05, I tried posting a reply earlier to one of your MLB demographic posts, but fat fingers and phones don't always work. Sorry, the engineer side of me is coming out. Cincy is actually the closest MLB city to ATL. Driving distance from Truist Park to Great American field is approx 450 mi. Using PNC field in Pittsburgh as a starting point, within that distance you could drive to Philly, Baltimore, DC, NYC, Cleveland, Cincy, and Detroit. Add another 10 miles and you hit Chicago. Another 20-25 miles and you'd be at Fenway. And you still wouldn't be at the next closest MLB city to ATL - Tropicana Field in Tampa Bay.

I'm not sure it does for baseball players. They are not the big name celebrities that football and basketball are. There may be some schools who pay their players to come but I don't know if that will be the case for a while in baseball. We have some baseball guys who are well recognized in Knoxville after last season and I do not know of any that have an NIL contract that is paying anything other than a little spending money.
Agreed. I was on the Spyre zoom call and asked about what % of collective money goes towards baseball. I don’t think they knew the %’s or wanted to share them, but they replied something along the lines of “football is the primary focus and receives about 50% and then roughly 30% to basketball with the remaining to baseball“. If I had to guess, I doubt baseball receives even 10% of the Spyre collective $$$.

Oops, totally forgot one in my demographic spiel - Toronto (I.e., approx 315 mi from Pittsburgh). Needless to say, the SE US is a veritable wasteland with regard to MLB markets, esp when compared to the NE and Mid-West. There are a bunch of minor league clubs across the South, but I don't know if they're that much more of a draw (with a few exceptions) than college ball has become in recent years.

VN Store

Back