What did you have for dinner II?

Japanese curry with chicken.

@JCHateSteve, I finally screwed up my courage and made the curry roux from scratch (butter, flour, S&B “Oriental” curry powder, and garam masala.

I also kinda went wild with the kakashi aji part: grated apple, honey, mirin, rice vinegar, rice cooking wine (sake with salt added to make it undrinkable so as to sell in grocery stores), and Bulldog Tonkatsu sauce. Whew!

Japanese curry with chicken.

@JCHateSteve, I finally screwed up my courage and made the curry roux from scratch (butter, flour, S&B “Oriental” curry powder, and garam masala.

I also kinda went wild with the kakashi aji part: grated apple, honey, mirin, rice vinegar, rice cooking wine (sake with salt added to make it undrinkable so as to sell in grocery stores), and Bulldog Tonkatsu sauce. Whew!
Nice. How much better was it than the block?

Nice. How much better was it than the block?
It was better, but maybe not better enough for 25 minutes of constant stirring! Also, it needed 4 Tbsp of the S&B curry powder, which was half the dang can.

There’s a good chance that I’ll go back to using the blocks, but geeze, they’re such sodium bombs! I did like having the option of controlling the spice mix a bit.

It was better, but maybe not better enough for 25 minutes of constant stirring! Also, it needed 4 Tbsp of the S&B curry powder, which was half the dang can.

There’s a good chance that I’ll go back to using the blocks, but geeze, they’re such sodium bombs! I did like having the option of controlling the spice mix a bit.
Yeesh, that definitely won't be a weeknight meal then. Any ingredients that were hard ru find?

Reactions: VolNExile
Yeesh, that definitely won't be a weeknight meal then. Any ingredients that were hard ru find?
I truly don’t remember where I got the S&B. I know that I had to hunt for the Bulldog sauce (absolutely worth it), and I found it at a local Asian market. <- kinda surprising, as there is definitely not a noticeable Asian population here. But they have a remarkable selection. Lee's Asian Market

I bought the garam masala at Spicewalla, a wholesale outlet for spices created by a local Big Dude chef, but I’ve seen it in the spice area of nearly every chain grocery store. And the same for everything else (mirin, rice wine, etc.)

Spices:
1655949702743.png

1655949947566.png

I truly don’t remember where I got the S&B. I know that I had to hunt for the Bulldog sauce (absolutely worth it), and I found it at a local Asian market. <- kinda surprising, as there is definitely not a noticeable Asian population here. But they have a remarkable selection. Lee's Asian Market

I bought the garam masala at Spicewalla, a wholesale outlet for spices created by a local Big Dude chef, but I’ve seen it in the spice area of nearly every chain grocery store. And the same for everything else (mirin, rice wine, etc.)

Spices:
View attachment 466285

View attachment 466286
No trouble finding bulldog sauce here. Ingles carries it. The S&B is a new one on me. I'll have to check the Asian Market. Already got garam masala. I have it for Indian curry. I may have to try that.

Reactions: VolNExile
No trouble finding bulldog sauce here. Ingles carries it. The S&B is a new one on me. I'll have to check the Asian Market. Already got garam masala. I have it for Indian curry. I may have to try that.
Next time I’m going to try it without the garam masala. Same ingredients in both, although different proportions, of course. I don’t think the curry needed the additional black pepper.

By the way, don’t do like me and absent-mindedly taste the roux once everything is in it. 🤪 I was convinced I’d ruined it, before remembering that tasting it was the equivalent of gnawing on the roux block! Let’s just say that it was pretty dang strong.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
curry roux

Have you ever made roux in an iron skillet in the oven? It's fool-proof and doesn't burn. 350 degrees, set timer for 15 minute intervals and stir then. 90 minutes for a medium, brick red roux. Beats standing over it for half the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCHateSteve

VN Store

Back