‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

I can’t find the article but most of the playoff teams have had elite recruiting classes. IIRC, they all had top ten classes over a three - four yr period.

TN needs more thoroughbreds and depth to compete with GA, Bama, A&M, LSU, Oklahoma (2024 or 2025).
Blue-Chip Ratio. The new one is coming out in a few weeks.

We do need more thoroughbreds. Let's get them! - https://www.spyresports.com/volunteer-club-levels

Reactions: vol94
The tax man is gonna have his hand out wanting his portion of a 200,000 vehicle/income. This may create a scenario where players will get suspended for tax evasion… hopefully they get educated

Something tells me the same companies giving these kids cars and $$$ will help them pay taxes. I’m sure “their handlers” are aware of the tax implications.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
this is actually the truth.

at the end of the day, these kinds of kids, for the most part, have multiple options for destinations. and none of them suck.

so carnell was always a strong lean to OSU....until he visited TN, i think TN genuinely gave him a whole lot to consider, and he likely came away from his visits here, especially when it actually got serious about coming here and that actually a consideration. but, he wants to go to OSU, and all he did was continue the process long enough to give OSU the shot at comparing favorably with the next best offer. they did, and he did what he's wanted to do from day 1.

i don't think OSU out bid us or anything like that, and it's clear we probably did put our best foot forward.. just not enough to overcome what he wanted to do from day 1 and barring OSU just saying "not worth it, good luck", it ended like many originally thought it would.

basically we've carried being "mike gundy'd" from coaching searches to recruiting and NIL. lol.

it's not the end of the world, and this will happen until we get more established, more consistent and more competitive at the top. for now, we'll take our shots, like we should, but outside of a few guys like Nico and some others that will surely come on board, this staff will have to make it's bones on the field with the John Slaughters of the world that want to be here and can hopefully develop in to quality SEC players. and no, that doesn't mean we should settle for 3* and 'want to'. but it does mean that as "cool" as we may be to some, we're still not THE destination for every blue chipper out there.

but keep bringing them to campus, keep recruiting them, we'll get some and continue to build this thing. the biggest loss for us with this decision is simply that if we had landed him, that would have been another major statement about this staff and the direction of the program. not getting him doesn't reverse or change that, it was a "more to gain" situation, than it would have been "more to lose", imo. basically, we really didn't stand to lose anything if he didnt come here.

lastly, WR board is very deep and there's a lot of quality out there, and this offense is WR friendly, so while i'd like to have #1 WR in the class too....not getting him isn't the end of the world for this offense.

we'll see how we do with the crop of defensive guys on the board and what else we got going at WR.....i'm not overly worried about this decision. look at this way....we made OSU do some work for a 5*... :)
I totally disagree................I do not think he ever really consider Tenn..........................he just has a big ego and wanted a lot of attention. Who cares where he goes to school. We do not need him anyway.

I would have been happy to have this kid.

We have to get guys that want to be in Knoxville and will play hard.
He has his work cut out for him in Columbus. They are stacked and well coached. I wish him good luck.

There's a bunch of players that still haven't even been talked about yet, that will produce at WR. Hell we have to 4 stars (Hyatt and Calloway) that really need to put that talent into use.

Even though this kid is a 5 star, i don't think he would have replaced Velus Jones type production freshman season.

He made a good choice for himself. And he obviously always wanted to go there.

Give me the two other 5 stars from IMG and we'll call it even

tumblr_ntumepGoAP1qdk4doo3_250.gifv

On the bright side of things us just being in with kids like this speaks volumes.It doesn't feel like the past where we're just a hat on the table.

Reactions: Volfan1000
At the end of the day not too suprising when you consider he is a Midwest kid that grew up watching Big 10 football and the Buckeyes. Buckeyes churning out first rd WRs and have a proven WR coach. Part of the probably your going to have trying to pitch a rookie WR coach vs these vets in the type of recruitments we are in. Yes at end of the day it’s the system but when you have two WR friendly systems which one you going to choose? The one with the veteran coach or the unknown guy.

At the end of the day not too suprising when you consider he is a Midwest kid that grew up watching Big 10 football and the Buckeyes. Buckeyes churning out first rd WRs and have a proven WR coach. Part of the probably your going to have trying to pitch a rookie WR coach vs these vets in the type of recruitments we are in. Yes at end of the day it’s the system but when you have two WR friendly systems which one you going to choose? The one with the veteran coach or the unknown guy.
churning 1st round? other then the 2 last year the last ones where 07

I know these kids likely don't have to pay maintenance on these cars, especially if they can just swap them out, but geez I'll never understand buying certain brands. Mercedes has the worst resale value of any luxury brand and even their cheapest models are still stupid expensive to maintain. Who wants to pay $300 or $400 for an oil change on their used $30k C Class 300?

Def not paying maintenance. His deal allows him to swap out for a different vehicle every 45 days

VN Store

Back