‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

This means nothing guys. I would've loved for him to commit to us. However, not only are there a ton of other great WRs left to pick up, but quite a few of these guys will end up transferring anyway. No reason to lose sleep over this.

Reactions: MwB and vol94
You could spent the last 3 secs looking at his six posts and realized he was a troll. Honestly anyone that thinks Tennessee is closer to Vandy than Ohio State idk how to help them. Tennessee has the resources to be a dominant program they just haven’t had the leadership. Vanderbilt is incapable of ever competing on a national level in football. I’m not sure why this even needs to be explained to anyone much less a vol fan.
Not comparing facilities (I think ours are much better than OSU’s), but from a performance standpoint, we’ve been marginally better than Vandy over the past decade, which I believe was his point. On the field, we’ve been much closer to Vandy than OSU. That’s factual regardless of how inconvenient it may be. Although I do believe that is finally changing.

We don't need 5 stars to get great production from WR. Already been proven form CJH. Of course, we'll take them, but its not a make or break thing

I love watching these businesses blow this money on guys that most will certainly go bust.

No offense @WillAtSpyre
The tax man is gonna have his hand out wanting his portion of a 200,000 vehicle/income. This may create a scenario where players will get suspended for tax evasion… hopefully they get educated

Reactions: Tennessee Golfer
We are already very good at receiver and RN on a lot more guys. If anything… I truly believe he missed an opportunity here. To come play and this ultra explosive offense with maybe the top quarterback in the cycle and a team as aggressively pursuing in I L deals for their athletes as any team in the country. Then factor in that we get to play in the SEC. I think some of these kids get so wrapped up in the prestige of a team that has been ranked in the top 10 over the past decade That sometimes they don’t end up making the choice that is best for themselves. And who knows, he could absolutely thrive at Ohio State. But he for sure would have thrived here.
Hi used to coach a local travel ball team and I saw some of the same stuff. The one or two more prestigious teams in town would attract all the best players. I remember telling parents your kid is barely going to get to pitch if they go to that program because they already have four or five highly established players there. But parents were more concerned with saying their kid plays on this team then putting them on a team which would afford them maximum opportunities to play, get seen, and improve. I think the same thing happens in college football. Kids want to say they got that Alabama or Ohio State opportunity. But then they sit behind five other former five stars and end up with much more limited opportunities to play.

He's bounced around NFL rosters and started a lot of places. Don't knock those John Browns.
Can one of the mods pin the thread about what names pan out and ones that don’t? We need to know if this is a ledge jumping commitment or if we aight?
Thanks in advance
GBO!!

But apparently was outdone by Ohio State on this one.

I don’t think NIL was the difference with his decision. He’s always been a Buckeye fan plus they are in contention for the Big 10 and national playoffs every yr.

I love UT but the program is third best in the East and mid-pack of SEC, at best. It pains me to see my alma mater be so far behind and not mentioned with the elite programs. TN never received the respect or media coverage in the 90’s or early 2000’s, even when we won it all in 1998 and a half away in 2001.

Time will tell how it all plays out with him @ State but I don’t begrudge the young man. If he receives playing time then all will be well, similar to Tee Higgins. If he doesn’t see the field by his soph yr then he will be portal-bound.

We don't need 5 stars to get great production from WR. Already been proven form CJH. Of course, we'll take them, but its not a make or break thing

I can’t find the article but most of the playoff teams have had elite recruiting classes. IIRC, they all had top ten classes over a three - four yr period.

TN needs more thoroughbreds and depth to compete with GA, Bama, A&M, LSU, Oklahoma (2024 or 2025).

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
$200K for a glorified Jeep. No thanks.

I know these kids likely don't have to pay maintenance on these cars, especially if they can just swap them out, but geez I'll never understand buying certain brands. Mercedes has the worst resale value of any luxury brand and even their cheapest models are still stupid expensive to maintain. Who wants to pay $300 or $400 for an oil change on their used $30k C Class 300?

I don’t think NIL was the difference with his decision. He’s always been a Buckeye fan plus they are in contention for the Big 10 and national playoffs every yr.

I love UT but the program is third best in the East and mid-pack of SEC, at best. It pains me to see my alma mater be so far behind and not mentioned with the elite programs. TN never received the respect or media coverage in the 90’s or early 2000’s, even when we won it all in 1998 and a half away in 2001.

Time will tell how it all plays out with him @ State but I don’t begrudge the young man. If he receives playing time then all will be well, similar to Tee Higgins. If he doesn’t see the field by his soph yr then he will be portal-bound.
I think there's a strong case to be made in the recruiting timeline that we made a big statement with our offer, and Ohio St got their resources together to get close or match/beat. His affinity for Ohio State, and their recent success (at his position and in the sport in general) being the factor that took it over the top for him.

Your second paragraph is exactly WHY we as fans have to step up and do everything that we can to help. You can only control what you can control. In our case, it is quantifying and weaponizing our passion.

https://www.spyresports.com/volunteer-club-levels

We have to make it a no-brainer for these guys. Then once we improve the roster, we improve our results. We know what Rocky Top looks like when our results are maximized. It takes a lot to get the wheels of success turning again, but as of right now, we are one of the only programs in the sport with the unique position of having a potential supercharger in the form of a mature NIL program.

VN Store

Back