‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

It's like anything else. A person has a chance to do their life long dream, buy their dream car or home, even when there are better choices they pick their dream ____ because it's the thing they've always wanted. Not saying there aren't exceptions
I personally think our NIL deal and the idea of playing in Heupel’s offense with Nico were the only things that made him consider coming here. We might have even potentially led for him at one point, but the idea of playing at his dream school for the best position coach in the country in an offense that will likely put up just as good if not better numbers was probably too hard to pass up. Combine that with potentially playing with longtime friend Dante Moore and it made it even harder to say no

Reactions: vettefool
And let’s no start with the whole “we didn’t need him anyway” thing. Every team outside of Bama and UGA needs all the 5 stars they can get no matter the position.

Reactions: VolByLaw
IMO we did lead when OSU had a weak NIL offer. Once OSU improved its offer, it was over. He was always going to OSU if the offer was comparable; however, their offer was not always comparable.
Yep, and even if the offer from them was less than ours they probably sold him on “you may make less in college, but you’ll make twice as much in the NFL if you come here than you would if you go to Tennessee”. Whether or not that’s true they’re able to say it because of the WRs they’ve recently developed

F***ing sick and tired of finishing second for elite recruits.
These kids we’re recruiting now weren’t even alive the last time we were elite. We are going to have to learn to walk again before we start running again. It’s not realistic to expect any coach to take us from the SEC cellar to the level of Georgia and Alabama in 2 or 3 years. If we show we can do more with less, eventually we will get more. That’s how Rick Barnes and Tony Vitello approached it.

IMO we did lead when OSU had a weak NIL offer. Once OSU improved its offer, it was over. He was always going to OSU if the offer was comparable; however, their offer was not always comparable.

Reading between the lines, it looks pretty simple.

He visited (a few times), we came with a strong offer.

Word gets to OSU, their head coach comes out with a statement that they need a lot more money to compete on the NIL front.

A few weeks later things come together for them.

I don't think he set out from the beginning to use us to get a great offer. I think we put something in front of him that really made us hard to turn down. Ohio State made themselves harder to turn down. It's a testament to our coaches and Spyre that we were even in it. We'll just have to continue to make these decisions hard for these guys, and give our side more resources to make ourselves harder to turn down.

https://www.spyresports.com/volunteer-club-levels

We have one of the best Qbs in the nation coming

It’s more like an accumulation of depression from the last 5 years of following recruiting than this year, in particular. Quay Walker, Mecole Hardman, Jay Hardy, Tee Higgins, Olaijah Griffin, Cade Mays (as a recruit), Derrick Brown, Deangelo Gibbs, etc.

Such a profound statement for your 5th post. Hope the first 4 were better.
Sorry if being realistic bothers you, but we're closer to being Vandy than Ohio St. still at this point. Tate made a great decision for him.

It takes more than just throwing money at HS kids to be where Ohio St. is. I hope we can get there, but it's going to take a few more years to build.

Sorry if being realistic bothers you, but we're closer to being Vandy than Ohio St. still at this point. Tate made a great decision for him.

It takes more than just throwing money at HS kids to be where Ohio St. is. I hope we can get there, but it's going to take a few more years to build.

I stopped reading after your first sentence

Don't know what really took him so long to commit. Life long OSU fan and wanted to play there since he was a kid. take a OV or 2, commit and move on.

Wonder how much time did staff really pursue this guy
I completely and totally understand your point but I would ask how many fans has our program “grown” over the years? We’ve been bad to irrelevant for a long time. Just wondering what our strategy should be here, should we ignore any elite talent that is being pursued by good programs? Again I completely get your frustration and we’re going to strike out a lot we these kinds of kids but you never hit the homers if you don’t step into the box as well.

Where are all the trolls coming from today?

Reading between the lines, it looks pretty simple.

He visited (a few times), we came with a strong offer.

Word gets to OSU, their head coach comes out with a statement that they need a lot more money to compete on the NIL front.

A few weeks later things come together for them.

I don't think he set out from the beginning to use us to get a great offer. I think we put something in front of him that really made us hard to turn down. Ohio State made themselves harder to turn down. It's a testament to our coaches and Spyre that we were even in it. We'll just have to continue to make these decisions hard for these guys, and give our side more resources to make ourselves harder to turn down.

https://www.spyresports.com/volunteer-club-levels
We need to win and put guys in the league and all that will take care of itself. A 9-3 season this year should be enough to get the attention of both recruits and guys entering the portal. Then next year do the same or better and hopefully by Nico’s second year on campus along with the stud DL we got last year and some guys in the portal we can really make some noise. Then with being an upcoming national contender along with Spyre we can actually start winning these recruiting battles across the board on a consistent basis. As of right now we might can go out and outbid other schools for a few elite players like Nico and potentially Bradley and Mauigoa, but to land 8-10 studs that are wanted by everyone across the country it’s going to take more than that

Last edited:
When did Tate seriously start considering playing in Knoxville?
You gotta think the Vols would have been a non factor for a lot of these guys just a year ago.

VN Store

Back