Expectations next year?

The Vols will take a step backward next year--there can be almost no doubt about that. We're losing two excellent hitters and a couple of good hitters and there's little chance that we'll hit as well next year or compile anywhere close to the same record. You've got to have a lot of things fall into place to earn the record we had this year. Such seasons are rare.

That's not to suggest that we won't have a good team--we certainly could. The pitching should be good, if not very good, but I can't see us scoring runs like we did this year. But then college baseball has become rather strange in the way that teams rack up runs these days. So many very high-scoring games, so many home runs, it's almost like T-ball for kids. One wonders where the pitching is across the country--but I think a lot of has to be the balls that, as in MLB, simply are made far tighter than in the past and simply fly out of the parks when met with aluminum bats. I'd like to see collegiate baseball go back to wooden bats. Not a fan of aluminum bats, which are the baseball equivalent of artificial grass in football/soccer, etc. They exist, like turf, only because they're a way to for the programs to save money. One could certainly argue--as some do--that all the run-scoring makes the games more entertaining--but when teams are hitting 4/5 home runs in games regularly, something is askew.

It will be interesting to see how much of the theatrics we see from the Vols next year--the coat for home run hitters, etc. We ended up with egg on our collective face when we lost of Notre Dame, and so I expect to see some of that dialed back next year.

The Vols will take a step backward next year--there can be almost no doubt about that. We're losing two excellent hitters and a couple of good hitters and there's little chance that we'll hit as well next year or compile anywhere close to the same record. You've got to have a lot of things fall into place to earn the record we had this year. Such seasons are rare.

That's not to suggest that we won't have a good team--we certainly could. The pitching should be good, if not very good, but I can't see us scoring runs like we did this year. But then college baseball has become rather strange in the way that teams rack up runs these days. So many very high-scoring games, so many home runs, it's almost like T-ball for kids. One wonders where the pitching is across the country--but I think a lot of has to be the balls that, as in MLB, simply are made far tighter than in the past and simply fly out of the parks when met with aluminum bats. I'd like to see collegiate baseball go back to wooden bats. Not a fan of aluminum bats, which are the baseball equivalent of artificial grass in football/soccer, etc. They exist, like turf, only because they're a way to for the programs to save money. One could certainly argue--as some do--that all the run-scoring makes the games more entertaining--but when teams are hitting 4/5 home runs in games regularly, something is askew.

It will be interesting to see how much of the theatrics we see from the Vols next year--the coat for home run hitters, etc. We ended up with egg on our collective face when we lost of Notre Dame, and so I expect to see some of that dialed back next year.
I don't anticipate a record like this year but next year's team could end up being better than this year.....both on the mound and at the plate.

With so much chatter about the transfer portal and what it might bring, there's no reason yet to think small.
Even before any additions, we have about 40 home runs that came off the bench that should be seeing regular at bats next year.
Burke, Dickey, Moore, et al. Doesn't sound like much of a step back.

I think think you could be right but I think we get our fair share of dingers. There's a lot of power coming back.
Dickey, Moore and Burke will get 2 or more at bats next year as long as they stay healthy. Couple of transfers could have even more power than we had this year. I'm probably to optimistic about next season but this team could be even better. Let's see who else TV brings in . Great recruiter and let's his players have fun. GBO 🔥

They said that this year was supposed to be a down year too

Even before any additions, we have about 40 home runs that came off the bench that should be seeing regular at bats next year.
Burke, Dickey, Moore, et al. Doesn't sound like much of a step back.

Burke might hit 30 by himself. Dickey can flat out hit. Ahuna will hit more in this ballpark. Moore had 10 in a limited role this season. Then there are guys like Logan Chambers and Kavares Tears. We might just hit a bunch of homes even without White or Skene.

Funny thing is, pitching is better now than it ever was. Velo is up. Spin rates are up. Kids have access to better coaching and more games. Groups like Driveline are magicians when it comes to arm care and velo.

If there has been a statistical spike in runs, I'd say it's 100% related to approach.

Analytics changed how pro's approach an at bat. Prioritizing damage over contact. Less shortening up with two strikes. Emphasizing walks. De-emphasizing the downsides of strikeouts. Etc....

So it makes sense it filtered down into the college game.

Combine that with aluminum bats, worse defense (compared to big leaguers) and less shifting, and it's no surprise we're seeing more offense.

VN Store

Back