Expectations next year?

There were some injuries his last year. I was told years ago, that boosters ran off him. Delmonico wanted money put into the program. I was surprised he never did much after Tennessee. Pretty sure he was an assistant at FSU.
He did become an assistant at FSU. He became the HC of the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic. Whoever the Netherlands knocked off that year in the WBC was a big deal (don't recall if it was the Dominican Republic, or what). I saw a story on ESPN about it, and hanging in the background when CRD was interviewed were a couple photos of Tennessee dogpiles.

(even though it's the Netherlands, it's not a bunch of beret wearing, pastry eating European dudes on the team. They have territories, such as Curacao, with a baseball tradition)

That’s an interesting topic that I’ve discussed with folks who know more than me. Draft analysts don’t seem to think it does provide the player leverage, although I’m not sure why…other than the fact that MLB teams aren’t recognizing it as a bargaining chip. But I’m with you…it should.

I don’t know why people would feel like his ability to return to the preseason #1 team next year if he doesn’t get enough money wouldn’t create the same leverage that juniors would typically have… the only thing I can think of is he would be 23 coming out after his COVID year, but it still seems like credible leverage if you’re going to lowball him.

They do if it’s very important to them.

If it’s important enough to sacrifice hundreds of thousands in money due to loss of leverage, it’s important enough to come beck and finish during the off-season. The latter just makes more sense.

Makes more sense to who, you? To me, that's what makes his story even better. He passed on money, bet on himself to increase his value, and get his degree. Looks like the gamble is going to pay off. I suspect he picked up some NIL money as well.

Makes more sense to who, you? To me, that's what makes his story even better. He passed on money, bet on himself to increase his value, and get his degree. Looks like the gamble is going to pay off. I suspect he picked up some NIL money as well.

I’m not talking about Joyce. Joyce was a rising junior this year coming off an arm injury, who had never thrown a pitch at the D1 level, and who was undrafted. Of course he came back.

I’m talking about guys who are rising seniors. They’re going pro if they have a reasonable opportunity to do so.

I’m not talking about Joyce. Joyce was a rising junior this year coming off an arm injury, who had never thrown a pitch at the D1 level, and who was undrafted. Of course he came back.

I’m talking about guys who are rising seniors. They’re going pro if they have a reasonable opportunity to do so.

My bad, I thought you were talking about players passing up mlb money to go back to school and get their degree.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
💯

One of the main personal takeaways for me from this season is to enjoy the current moment rather than look ahead. One game at a time, one series at a time. Enjoy the journey. I expect to carry this mindset into next season.
…serendipity? 😎

Reactions: TN_gal
There’s currently a thread on VQ titled “Baseball Record Next Year”. 😳 I get speculation and all that, but making a prediction now? Okay then… 🤷🏻‍♀️
I get your point but "much too early predictions" are more fun than "boohoo we didn't make Omaha" conversations.
I like looking forward. I see a fun team ahead.

💯

One of the main personal takeaways for me from this season is to enjoy the current moment rather than look ahead. One game at a time, one series at a time. Enjoy the journey. I expect to carry this mindset into next season.
Agreed! I've been a fan since I was was student (class of '90) and have enjoyed the good and endured the bad. Still a fan

Reactions: TN_gal
I get your point but "much too early predictions" are more fun than "boohoo we didn't make Omaha" conversations.
I like looking forward. I see a fun team ahead.

Fair point. It’s much easier to look forward than to reflect on the past, especially if the past ended in disappointment. I also see a fun team ahead. With that said, I think there is a line between speculation and expectation. Sure, it’s fun to predict based on the talented players returning and newcomers joining. It’s fun to speculate about potential lineups. However, when I see posts about another 50 win season, etc. I get 😯. Just too many unknown variables, in my opinion. But that’s just me. I fully get that fans will dive in and speculate/predict.

Reactions: txbo
Fair point. It’s much easier to look forward than to reflect on the past, especially if the past ended in disappointment. I also see a fun team ahead. With that said, I think there is a line between speculation and expectation. Sure, it’s fun to predict based on the talented players returning and newcomers joining. It’s fun to speculate about potential lineups. However, when I see posts about another 50 win season, etc. I get 😯. Just too many unknown variables, in my opinion. But that’s just me. I fully get that fans will dive in and speculate/predict.
Don't get me wrong. It's silly. LOL. Look at it as entertainment and nothing more.

VN Store

Back