Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It truly is silly. Suburban image crap at its finest.

Feel like I saw something about this on one of those "Adam" shows where he deconstructs all of society's nonsense.

Fwiw more power to ya if that's yer thing. To each his own nonsense as I have plenty.
I don't think wanting a nice home and yard is silly. I will never have one, but I don't begrudge those that do.

I do think some people take it to ridiculous "silly" extremes...so I partially agree.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
We aren't paper-thin by any means, but a 10-win team usually has 4-star talent, 2-deep, at every position.

McGill is just trying to be realistic.

7 wins floor, 8 wins obvious improvement, 9+ wins means everything came together well. Atlanta, everyone gets a raise.
Realistically what team besides Bama and Georgia have that kind of depth? The only thing going against us is this schedule where we have to play the top two teams every year

I'd say this is a little premature and or asinine. He walked into a situation with Tony V and Barnes as head coaches and a rich school eager to spend NIL $. Not too tough. What has he actually done? I like him and I think he's done a fine job...but we're gonna put him next to Pat Summitt already? He already rubbed fans/me wrong with his comment after the Ole Miss game and his text a buddy crap.

If you'd do that we wouldn't have had to read this post...

At this point I think Tony V, Rick Barnes, or even Bruce Pearl would be higher on the list of "greatest hires" by UT. Hell I'd say you have to mention Neyland and Majors as well. So I agree Danny White hasn't really earned the praise it that regard yet, but he may be the best AD hire we've had in the last few decades (so far).

Realistically what team besides Bama and Georgia have that kind of depth? The only thing going against us is this schedule where we have to play the top two teams every year
There are 10-12 teams every season that have that kind of depth.

Aside from that, you're proving my point. The last 10-win Tennessee team (2003) was loaded. We have to be good enough to win every game that isn't Bama or Georgia, or resilient enough to drop a game we should win and still beat one of Bama/UGA. Unless this year is 2007 all over again and the conference implodes around us down the stretch, which I would gladly welcome.

I don't know what to expect this year. There are just too many holes and thin spots for me to feel really good about it.

What sucks is that people are going to turn on Heup if he doesn't show the big improvement in results that it seems everybody is "expecting".

I think the thin roster will, or I will say "may" create a up and down season very similar to last when all is said and done.

I hope I am wrong and we win 9-10...but no way in hell am I going to "expect" it

For sure...OL depth hasn't been cultivated yet, LB depth is still TBD Willis bailing didn't help either (happy we returned Banks & Beasley though), and the Secondary still hasn't proven anything yet and lost Theo & Taylor.

Feel good about WRs (good mix of returning production, talent, and new guys to be competitive for reps and this offense rewards them well if they work hard), RBs I'm honestly surprised people aren't more positive about this group 4 of our top 5 in rushing yards return (counting Hooker) and JWT as well as Sampson give some talent/depth there too. I also think the QB room is in the best shape it has been in awhile, I get most people think Joe is wasting a scholarship but having a guy with that talent and knowledge willing to stay on roster knowing he's not starting is big for creating culture with the young guys. Navy may never start a snap for us, but I also think he's a big addition to that room. Tayven is gonna have a year head start on Nico and plenty of motivation to make sure he's prepared for that QB battle next season so that'll help everyone develop.

Also DL is in a very good spot. Happy Baron decided to stay put and with the incoming talent that group could be the catalyst for this defense being average to elite.

There are 10-12 teams every season that have that kind of depth.

Aside from that, you're proving my point. The last 10-win Tennessee team (2003) was loaded. We have to be good enough to win every game that isn't Bama or Georgia, or resilient enough to drop a game we should win and still beat one of Bama/UGA. Unless this year is 2007 all over again and the conference implodes around us down the stretch, which I would gladly welcome.
Completely disagree there is maybe 3 other teams that can match depth with Georgia and Alabama, the only thing working against is schedule…

Completely disagree there is maybe 3 other teams that can match depth with Georgia and Alabama, the only thing working against is schedule…
There are at least 10-12 teams every year that have 4-star talent or better, 2-deep, at every position. You brought up Georgia and Alabama and now you're comparing everyone to Georgia and Alabama.

If you'd do that we wouldn't have had to read this post...

At this point I think Tony V, Rick Barnes, or even Bruce Pearl would be higher on the list of "greatest hires" by UT. Hell I'd say you have to mention Neyland and Majors as well. So I agree Danny White hasn't really earned the praise it that regard yet, but he may be the best AD hire we've had in the last few decades (so far).

You think I have friends?

I mean you look at yearly recruiting and attrition there are way more than 5 total teams that have 4 stars at the majority of their 2 depth (which is what BigSteve was saying, not that they were matching what Bama/Georgia have)

Alabama
Georgia
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Texas
Michigan
Clemson
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

Borderline teams
Miami
LSU
Oregon
USC
Florida
North Carolina (have stacked up 3 top 20 classes now)

I mean you look at yearly recruiting and attrition there are way more than 5 total teams that have 4 stars at the majority of their 2 depth (which is what BigSteve was saying, not that they were matching what Bama/Georgia have)

Alabama
Georgia
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Texas
Michigan
Clemson
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

Borderline teams
Miami
LSU
Oregon
USC
Florida
Texas and North Carolina are we being serious here? Where does the eye test come into play because im talking actual talent that is translated to on field results and Bama and Georgia are on their own platform, recruiting and how these players are ranked every year is subjective and usually there is a reason those players are choosing teams like UNC

Alabama
Georgia
Texas A&M
Ohio State
Texas
Michigan
Clemson
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

Borderline teams
Miami
LSU
Oregon
USC
Florida
We have stacked top 20 classes almost every year and it didn’t help.

Great season but nobody to blame but ourselves. We didn’t get it done in clutch time. Maybe next year will bring a sense of urgency in clutch time. All I can say is remember the feeling baseball Vols. GBO
Oh for craps sake man, "sense of urgency" didn't have a freakin thing to do with it 🤬

What a load of 🦬💩....this is just baseball. It is a game of averages.

Spent over $100 to fill up today.
I was able to borrow some money from my mom-in-law to buy an 2008 car that gets 35 mpg. I got sick of it costing me $100 just to get back and forth to work.

This will save me over $200 a month in gas, but now I have to pay back $3500 and my insurance went up $85 a month. It will take a while to start to really save me any money, but I would rather spend it on something I own, than literally just burning piles of money every month.

Texas and North Carolina are we being serious here? Where does the eye test come into play because im talking actual talent that is translated to on field results and Bama and Georgia are on their own platform, recruiting and how these players are ranked every year is subjective and usually there is a reason those players are choosing teams like UNC

I mean it's simple math my guy...there's only 44 in the 2 deep and -your- eyes are useless in this discussion. You can't make a blanket assertion about HS star rankings then choose to discard those rankings because of the "actual talent" or "eye test" the rankings from 247 composite are what I am looking at and below is how the numbers stack up.

Texas
2022: 2-5 stars, 19-4 stars
2021: 1-5 star, 10-4 stars
2020: 1-5 star, 15-4 stars
2019: 2-5 stars, 15-4 stars
Total: 6-5 stars, 59-4 stars

North Carolina (who I said was borderline to begin with...but will still show my work)
2022: 2-5 stars, 8-4 stars
2021: 1-5 star, 11-4 stars
2020: 1-5 star, 9-4 stars
2019: 0-5 star, 5-4 stars
Total: 4-5 stars, 33-4 stars

Cool, has exactly nothing to do with the topic originally...which was teams with 4 and 5 star talent in their 2 deep. Had we not had over 3 dozens departures of those top 20 classes then it may have helped.
The point remains…. We had too 15 classes but several guys were overrated…. Most of our players that left went to a lower level school…. Some of the teams that you mentioned have had similar issues.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Also...let's try to reel in things a bit.

We finished 7-6, we aren't trying to be on Alabama and Georgia's level. We're trying to get on the level of these other teams that are winning 9 or more games on the regular and have mostly 4/5 star talent on their roster, then when we have that sort of depth and talent we'll be able to (hopefully) be on the same level as Alabama and Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back