The Gardening Thread

Anyone ever tried throwing perlite in the onion patch? My soil always compacts and they won’t swell up
All sounds good with the onions, I used perlite and vermiculite for most container, potted plants just to loosen soil. I lived and farmed in north east aladuba and the soil there was the best
For rit crops, black and real sandy, good soil. I could till our garden with one hand on the tiller and a beer in the other, and that was a front tine tiller.
Soil would grow anything.
So maybe mix some inert sand with the soil before planting, for slips, sets or seeds just to loosen. I don’t think sand would hurt, won’t be that much and if you got good dirt, it’s on.
GBO

Now that the veg garden is pretty much underway, I’m going to start building a pollinator garden (no-till lasagna-style bed.) I’ve been tucking plants like borage and lavender hyssop among the veggies, but I want to add a bigger area for a wider variety of native critters.

I just got this in the mail from one of my go-to seed suppliers; might be interesting for those who would like to attract more pollinators to their yards:
The Pollinators You Haven't Met Yet

Anyone know what's wrong with these potatoe plants? It's just the two Kennebec plants right now.

I'm thinking it's from a mole running under them?

20220604_194739.jpg

20220604_194749.jpg

Is it too late to put taters out ? I've been meaning too and just haven't got to the tater getin place yet.

Got my tomato weave support going pretty good. Afew small pea sized ones are out. I have been picnhing htem off cause I didn't feel the plants were big enough. Debating whether or not to remove this handfull, then let them go free.

Got all my hoeing done except for last section of corn. And finished up green bean supports.

Reactions: walkenvol
I have planted 4 different varieties of onions, Black seeded Simpson lettuce, Romaine lettuce, Kenebec Potatoes, Cabbage, Sugar Snap Peas, Carrots, and Golden Bantam Corn (it's somewhat cold tolerant) as my spring crops. Will plant tomatoes soon (will plant them from seed in hills this year instead of buying plants) as well as some other warmer weather crops.

I always be sure to raise plenty of heirloom crops so I can save the seeds, but also raise some hybrids. I have grown big beef tomatoes for years along with Parks Whoppers as my hybrid tomatoes, but will probably stick with the whoppers since they make better tomato juice. I always raise Romas and Rutgers as my heirlooms.

I love raising some of my own food.

Any other green thumbs in here???
I plant pole bean and pole baby lima bean seeds which have been in my family for over 150 years. The pole bean seed has a small pod and the beans are packed close together like the old greasy bean. It’s runners grow to be 10-12 long with vies which produce little stems which have as many as 10-12 pods on each stem. They are the best tasting bean I have ever eaten, I do have to string them. From one short row, 40-50 feet, I freeze 30 or more jars of them every year. Same for the pole lima beans.

Is it too late to put taters out ? I've been meaning too and just haven't got to the tater getin place yet.

Got my tomato weave support going pretty good. Afew small pea sized ones are out. I have been picnhing htem off cause I didn't feel the plants were big enough. Debating whether or not to remove this handfull, then let them go free.

Got all my hoeing done except for last section of corn. And finished up green bean supports.
I wouldn't think so.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Whelp, I just bought 5 bareroot raspberry plants of the Joan J cultivar. I’ve got blueberries down pretty good so I figured I’d give some more berries a shot. May pick up some Ozark Beaty strawberries this weekend. Starting from scratch with these two berries, but you never know until you try!

Update:

I got 9 Ozark Beauty strawberry plants from a local nursery. I learned strawberry plants grow and produce very well in stacked pot arrangements so I planted them in that arrangement. I had 11 more spaces left so I bought enough bareroot Ozark strawberry plants to fill those in. All 9 original plants are doing well and are fixing to produce their first berry. 10 out of the 11 bare roots are growing well now with the last showing no signs of growth. I’d say that’s a good ratio of how many worked to how many were planted.

All 5 Joan J raspberry plants now have new growth. I planted them in 8-9” pots with well draining soil with the hopes to transplant them once I get an area ready for them. From what I’ve read they can sit in pots for a while before you have to plant them in the ground.

These last few storms have done some damage to my blueberry crop this year. It was going to be a pretty big crop, but I’ve estimated about 40% were lost due to extreme downpours we’ve had over the last month which is saddening. I need to plant them as well as I feel they have outgrown their pots now. But my pink lemonade blueberry bushes are doing amazingly well! Gonna get to try some here very soon, too! These berries get huge!

EBDA99C9-B6FF-485F-BBF3-753CC8C1A13E.jpeg

Update:

I got 9 Ozark Beauty strawberry plants from a local nursery. I learned strawberry plants grow and produce very well in stacked pot arrangements so I planted them in that arrangement. I had 11 more spaces left so I bought enough bareroot Ozark strawberry plants to fill those in. All 9 original plants are doing well and are fixing to produce their first berry. 10 out of the 11 bare roots are growing well now with the last showing no signs of growth. I’d say that’s a good ratio of how many worked to how many were planted.

All 5 Joan J raspberry plants now have new growth. I planted them in 8-9” pots with well draining soil with the hopes to transplant them once I get an area ready for them. From what I’ve read they can sit in pots for a while before you have to plant them in the ground.

These last few storms have done some damage to my blueberry crop this year. It was going to be a pretty big crop, but I’ve estimated about 40% were lost due to extreme downpours we’ve had over the last month which is saddening. I need to plant them as well as I feel they have outgrown their pots now. But my pink lemonade blueberry bushes are doing amazingly well! Gonna get to try some here very soon, too! These berries get huge!

View attachment 462547

Ozark beauties are the best tasting strawberry out there IMO.

Of my seven pepper plants, four survived the storms, two got stomped by deer, and two are alive. The last two habenada seeds are in a pot outside in the morning sun. I’ve no idea of their fate, as chipmunks disturbed the soil. I’m still watering the pot, hoping plants may still appear.

@VolNExile, how are your habanada peppers?
They all finally came up (on heat 24/7 until they finally germinated) and are thriving. They’re smaller than the others, of course, and I gave some away, but here are the three I kept. Prolly shouldn’t be in the same pot 🙄:
1654989530922.jpeg

The peperoncinis (for pickling) have a lot more size:
1654989595375.jpeg

They all finally came up (on heat 24/7 until they finally germinated) and are thriving. They’re smaller than the others, of course, and I gave some away, but here are the three I kept. Prolly shouldn’t be in the same pot 🙄:
View attachment 463309

The peperoncinis (for pickling) have a lot more size:
View attachment 463310

Let me know what kind of yield you get from those peppers in that pot. I am curious as to how 3 in one pot will do. I hope they do well because I will try the same thing if they still yield decent.

Reactions: VolNExile
They are coming in a little small, but probably because the plants are in their first year. We tried our first one this morning though and man it was a good tasting strawberry!

I "think" for maximum yield for the overall plant you are supposed to cut off all strawberries and runners in their first year of life so that they can concentrate on building a root system for a heavy yield in years 2 and 3. Apparently you are also supposed to fertilize them in August as well. I am still learning strawberries myself though, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Let me know what kind of yield you get from those peppers in that pot. I am curious as to how 3 in one pot will do. I hope they do well because I will try the same thing if they still yield decent.
Will do. Our hot peppers problem has always been “takes forever to bear then we drown in peppers.” I’m ready for a bit less of the second part!

I "think" for maximum yield for the overall plant you are supposed to cut off all strawberries and runners in their first year of life so that they can concentrate on building a root system for a heavy yield in years 2 and 3. Apparently you are also supposed to fertilize them in August as well. I am still learning strawberries myself though, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

This makes sense. I was wondering if this was something I should do since it is a typical practice for most other multi-year surviving producing plants. I will keep looking stuff up and will let you know what I find as well.

Reactions: norrislakevol
I've got 3 different corns planted in different sections of the garden. Far enough apart not to cross. But, they are consisten in that none of them are suer strong. They seem to be lacking. I did put out some lime and some 13-13-13 yesterday. Hoperfully they will kick in gear. My 3-4 foot dwarf corn is put out top flowers at what loks like will be 2 foot dwarf. But, it is a cool weather corn and I seeded it late probably.

Got a decent run of blueberry sized maters coming on. All hte peppers, beans, squash and okra looknig pretty good. Cukes are now growing well and coming on. Got about half a dozen ping pong ball sized watermelons, but the cantalope plants are still behind. Only bean I planted that is not going well is the sweet peas.

I've got 3 different corns planted in different sections of the garden. Far enough apart not to cross. But, they are consisten in that none of them are suer strong. They seem to be lacking. I did put out some lime and some 13-13-13 yesterday. Hoperfully they will kick in gear. My 3-4 foot dwarf corn is put out top flowers at what loks like will be 2 foot dwarf. But, it is a cool weather corn and I seeded it late probably.

Got a decent run of blueberry sized maters coming on. All hte peppers, beans, squash and okra looknig pretty good. Cukes are now growing well and coming on. Got about half a dozen ping pong ball sized watermelons, but the cantalope plants are still behind. Only bean I planted that is not going well is the sweet peas.

Sweet peas need cool weather.
Southern peas like purple hull need hot weather.

Sweet peas need cool weather.
Southern peas like purple hull need hot weather.
I may retry planting them late summer them. It's not that their doing bad. THe ones that germinated look good. Not big yet, but look good and healthy. They just had a low germination. Probably will seed my brussel sprouts before too long as well, so that they will have a fall bearing seaon.

VN Store

Back