The Gardening Thread

Did you loosen up the soil with lots of peat? They’re fibrous rooted and generally don’t do well in dense soil. Always exceptions of course.
ameded peat with clay and mounded dirt over roots to keep roots from getting water logged. not sure what else can be done?

Did you loosen up the soil with lots of peat? They’re fibrous rooted and generally don’t do well in dense soil. Always exceptions of course.
Yep, they don't like wet feet which is often a problem for clay soil or soil around a drainage area.

I’m in North Georgia on the Southern Piedmont, ~900’ elevation, the foothills of the Appalachian mountains.
I lived in Hartwell for 16 years. (Raised in Griffin, now on family place in Cookeville, TN)

Reactions: Tin Man
I lived in Hartwell for 16 years. (Raised in Griffin, now on family place in Cookeville, TN)
I visited Hartwell for a couple of decades and attempted to buy property on the lake ( the seller backed out at the last minute).

Almond oil on the carpenter bee holes is working to discourage any from re-entering. It’s better than any poison or pepper spray. This year’s hatch was captured by my traps. The only big ones around my property are nesting somewhere else. 😁

This is what my downstairs neighbor has going on. Whatever it is that she's growing, I hope she plans to thin. What I object to is the veggies that she is apparently attempting to compost. I guess I'll have to go down there and tell her to bury that crap so it'll decompose. She's gonna wind up with a bunch of tomato seedlings. It's bad enough that the racoons invade the dumpster every night. If I end up with varmints or ants in my apartment because of her mess, I will have a holy fit.

1652314908498.jpeg

Whelp, I just bought 5 bareroot raspberry plants of the Joan J cultivar. I’ve got blueberries down pretty good so I figured I’d give some more berries a shot. May pick up some Ozark Beaty strawberries this weekend. Starting from scratch with these two berries, but you never know until you try!

Anyone ever tried throwing perlite in the onion patch? My soil always compacts and they won’t swell up

We had to pretty much abandon our back porch (previous house) while a nest of robins did its thing. We took down two attempts at rebuilding the nest after the first set fledged and left.

Sort of a “cute, but enough already” thing.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Anyone ever tried throwing perlite in the onion patch? My soil always compacts and they won’t swell up
Are you planting onion sets. Typically you just plant them on top of the soil, about 1/4 inch deep, just enough soil to cover the trimmed roots.
But it sounds like you garden needs amendments added to the soil. I turn in leaves every fall. They are almost completely composted by spring.

Composted last year and add straw and leaves every year. I believe it’s an operator error. Not planting early enough, fertilizer, etc…

Last year, a cowbird laid an egg in the Eastern Phoebes’ nest under the eave of my house. The cowbird chick hatched first, grew bigger faster, and pushed the Phoebe chicks out of the nest. They died, and the Phoebe parents raised only a cowbird. Fugg cowbirds. There are plenty of cowbirds. Gimme phoebes.

Good eye. @Orangeslice13, remove the cowbird egg if you can.

Edit: Apparently, because cowbirds are native species, the Feds prohibit removal. It’s a no-no.
This would be one of those instances where I’d ignore the prohibition. By their very nature (laying eggs in others’ nests), there will always be plenty of cowbirds. Let them learn how to build their own dang nests.

VN Store

Back