Milton Package

You are making assumptions off of last year. You don’t know what he will look like this year. Towards the end of last year Milton’s passing looked better. Also, you don’t think Heupel can scheme up a play that could utilize Milton’s abilities?

No I’m sure he could, I just don’t know why he would. Even if he has improved, what talent does he posses that isn’t outshined by Hooker or an RB? A cannon of an arm? That’s great, but is it THAT much better than Hookers that he needs a package? If he comes on to the field, what traits does he have that make a defense play the game different?

Usually a wildcat is used because you’re getting the ball to a guy that’s a lethal weapon with his feet, trying to pull the defense in to take a shot over the top. I don’t see Milton as being that guy. His throwing may have gotten better, but I find it hard to believe his running would have.

Just hear me out, maybe you like it maybe you don’t. Any chance we have a Wildcat, option, or some sort of package to get the ball in his hands sometimes. I know he had the debacle at ole miss and his deep accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. but I feel like he’s too athletic to not touch the ball. I also truly believe he will have developed with another year learning from heup. Just a thought. Shout at me if ya want.
There’s a chance at some point this year we’ll need Milton to come in and play real snaps. Injuries happen. Hope he stays ready

Reactions: Neyland Law Vol
No way he sees the field unless absolutely necessary. Slow, timid runner. Passing game is non existent

I would hope that by now, Milton would have realized what he needs/needed to do to get game time. For someone his size, he should run over most any secondary player, and to be honest, I don't really remember seeing him digging for another gear last year. I thought he was supposed to be pretty fast for a guy his size. Maybe he figured it out since last year, because as they say, the backup is just one snap away from being the guy.

Just hear me out, maybe you like it maybe you don’t. Any chance we have a Wildcat, option, or some sort of package to get the ball in his hands sometimes. I know he had the debacle at ole miss and his deep accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. but I feel like he’s too athletic to not touch the ball. I also truly believe he will have developed with another year learning from heup. Just a thought. Shout at me if ya want.
He was not a good runner. He may be athletic, but he has no vision and is terrified of getting hit.

guys HE CAN'T RUN! Just because he looks like a beast doesn't mean he actually is! Dobbs was 200% the runner Milton is and Milton looks like the more athletic one

Reactions: Buzzbait
He will get his chance to shine towards the end of blowout wins. I see 5 blowout wins mixed in with 4 close wins and then 3 nail biting wins. After that 3 more blowout wins.

Milton will get another chance to impress the NFL folks.

Before he has a chance to impress the NFL folks, he must impress me and many other Vol faithful.

If UT were 4 or 5 years down the road and Milton was a MUCH better runner... then maybe. I'm not really sure where you saw extraordinary athleticism from him. He's a big guy with decent speed. He's not a great ball carrier.

I have nothing against Milton but he needs to be focused on getting better, becoming a good back up, and trying to be the starter after Hooker is gone.

I’ve always thought it would be neat to see a team have a 2nd offense completely different (maybe wishbone or veer style) from the 1st team that they play 2 or 3 series a game a La the old Chinese Bandits at LSU in the 50s. It would force defenses to spend time preparing for it and limit what they could do vs your primary offense.

It’s crazy I admit cause no one has tried it.
There were 3 "teams" on these LSU squads the "Go Team" the "Chinese Bandits" and the ???? I think of this LSU squad almost every time I see "wholesale" subs or unit (offensive to defensive) changes but can never come up with the "3rd team" name, someone help me out. Bye the way, we beat them at the height of their success.

Milton has potential out the roof, it’s likely why Heupel started with him. He just is tentative and makes poor decisions when in game. Two different good offensive staffs tried to give him the starter position he just can’t take it.

I did think he made some strides at the end of the season though

Milton has potential out the roof, it’s likely why Heupel started with him. He just is tentative and makes poor decisions when in game. Two different good offensive staffs tried to give him the starter position he just can’t take it.

I did think he made some strides at the end of the season though

90 percent of playing QB is mental. Unless he has mike vick or even johnny manzeil scrambling type skills....which he clearly doesn't. A big strong arm means very little if you can't read a defense, can't see the field and have poor pocket presence.

Reactions: volinSmyrna
I like Milton. I like the fact that he is the backup now. He has the best arm talent I have ever seen. It is really fun to watch him throw the football. I wish the accuracy would have been a lot better early, and I wish he would have thrown it up at the end of Ole Miss. I'm much more comfortable where our QB depth is than I have been in a really long time. That being said, I can't help but have my mind go to 20 years from now and see Milton as a little bit of Uncle Rico.

unclerico-napolean.gif

90 percent of playing QB is mental. Unless he has mike vick or even johnny manzeil scrambling type skills....which he clearly doesn't. A big strong arm means very little if you can't read a defense, can't see the field and have poor pocket presence.

This is VN.....It's pocket "presents". :cool:

I like Milton. I like the fact that he is the backup now. He has the best arm talent I have ever seen. It is really fun to watch him throw the football. I wish the accuracy would have been a lot better early, and I wish he would have thrown it up at the end of Ole Miss. I'm much more comfortable where our QB depth is than I have been in a really long time. That being said, I can't help but have my mind go to 20 years from now and see Milton as a little bit of Uncle Rico.

unclerico-napolean.gif

He has a very strong arm. And i agree....very exciting to have him as a backup in case he ever fully blooms and we need him. I thought Tyler Bray threw a much prettier overall ball though with very similar arm strength as well.

He's not THAT athletic to where he should have his own package imo. He has average speed, and does not run with any power whatsoever.

Exactly. I hope he does well but lets not forget, last season when running the ball he would pull up and turn his hip when a tackler got close. He is not the runner you want on a goal line situation where you need that power runner to run thru a tackler to score. He has the size and power to do that but apparently does not like getting hit.

No package until Milton gets over his aversion to being hit.

I don't think we create an offensive package for a player for the sole reason that he looks like he should be a much better player.

I think that's what you're asking?

Milton isn't accurate, he isn't fast, he doesn't like contact, he makes terrible bone head decisions.......Why would we play him unless it was absolutely neccessary?

The only thing he seems good at is throwing a football really far. If he was a golfer, he'd be televised on late night ESPN on those long drive championships.

Last edited:
I would love for him to be an asset in short yardage situations, but he runs like he doesn’t want the contact . At his size he should initiating the contact and punishing smaller defenders in the open field.
He runs so soft .. no power at all for a 6'5 240 ib guy .. he shys away from contact .. doesn't like it .. runs out of bounds ... special package ?? You kidding me

They fixed Crompton, so Milton can be salvaged. I am all for the package centered on Milton if the coaches find something in him or another player to focus on.

We have done it in the past to terrible results with our end arounds to so called speedsters that get beat to the corners by the opposing defenders. Fulmer's offensive coaches drew up those plans, and Butch's teams had those packages. There is nothing wrong with the concept. You just have to have perfect blocking and execution and history is against us on steps one and two for these feature packages. You see the sprinters in the game and everyone knows it is coming.

The Beast packages worked better than the sportscar packages ever did. Less cogs had to fire perfectly for execution.

We may need this kid at some point this year to get a W in a close game if Hooker goes down. I am cheering for him to improve and end up balling out here next year as a super senior.

Reactions: davethevol

VN Store

Back