Maybe Rick Barnes can hire Cuonzo Martin as an assist

Yes!!!. Look at Wikipedia, schools are rated based on Final Four/Elite Eight/Sweet 16 appearances. Hell, I had a MCBB EA Sports games and the only stats shown were Final Fours, Conference Championships, and National Championships.

No one cares about the other stuff. Literally, 50% of the people I know do not even watch MCBB until the tournament. It is the sport. We fail in the spot light.
If you didn’t watch or enjoy UT’s season and victory in the SEC tournament, you aren’t a fan. Simple as that. Move along now.

Maybe coach K would make a good analyst for Barnes. I hear he’s gonna have a lot of free time next season.🤷‍♂️

Why settle for Krzezewski when Phil Jackson's sitting idle? If we were committed to winning like Alabama is, we'd long ago have backed a Brink's truck up to his front porch and made him say no. I watched both of our games this year and know Jackson would still have us in the tournament.

(Those who require it can imagine the above to have been written in blue font.)

Wrong.

Pearl went to the Elite 8 at Tennessee.

And Bruce was within a whisker of flaming out in round 1 versus San Diego State. As in #4 in the Mountain West Conference SD State. Luck is huge in every NCAAT. Round #2 was versus a 5th place in the EAST division of the MAC. Credit to Pearl for betting tOSU, but those first two games were about as easy if a path to the Sweet 16 that could possibly exist.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
And Bruce was within a whisker of flaming out in round 1 versus San Diego State. As in #4 in the Mountain West Conference SD State. Luck is huge in every NCAAT. Round #2 was versus a 5th place in the EAST division of the MAC. Credit to Pearl for betting tOSU, but those first two games were about as easy if a path to the Sweet 16 that could possibly exist.

Point is that OP was inaccurate in his assertion. Pearl did make a run at UT. Elite 8 - you know we have that lonely banner in the Tommy Bowl.

Point is that OP was inaccurate in his assertion. Pearl did make a run at UT. Elite 8 - you know we have that lonely banner in the Tommy Bowl.

And it’s another point that Bruce didn’t have an amazing run to get his EE. He beat tOSU at the right spot in the schedule.

Cuonzo and Bruce each won 3 straight in the post season. Barnes is the only UT coach to EVER win 4 consecutive games after the regular season ended.

No need to rewrite history here. First, the point was Bruce took us further in the tournament than any other coach we've ever had. Second, that San Diego State team was pretty dang good. They were 3rd in the MWC behind New Mexico and BYU (with Jimmer Fredette). They also had a guy named Kawhi Leonard. In terms of 11 seeds, I'm not sure I'd call that draw "easy". In fact, that same San Diego State team with nearly the same roster went 32-2 and got a 2 seed the very next season.

Our run in 2014 under Martin would be a much better candidate as an easy/lucky draw.

And it’s another point that Bruce didn’t have an amazing run to get his EE. He beat tOSU at the right spot in the schedule.

Cuonzo and Bruce each won 3 straight in the post season. Barnes is the only UT coach to EVER win 4 consecutive games after the regular season ended.

CZO won a play-in game, then two in the actual field of 64.... lololol - does not compare to Pearl's Elite 8 or his 3 Sweet 16's.

Damn, that's wild. March basketball historically hasn't been kind to the Vols.

No need to rewrite history here. First, the point was Bruce took us further in the tournament than any other coach we've ever had. Second, that San Diego State team was pretty dang good. They were 3rd in the MWC behind New Mexico and BYU (with Jimmer Fredette). They also had a guy named Kawhi Leonard. In terms of 11 seeds, I'm not sure I'd call that draw "easy". In fact, that same San Diego State team with nearly the same roster went 32-2 and got a 2 seed the very next season.

Our run in 2014 under Martin would be a much better candidate as an easy/lucky draw.

Kawhi was a freshman and that team gave Wyoming one of their 3 conference wins. The history is that Pearl could have easily been one-and-done in the 2010 NCAAT. Luck is a huge factor. Pearl didn’t do the equivalent of parting the Red Sea that year like many want to believe.

Damn, that's wild. March basketball historically hasn't been kind to the Vols.

Devoe won 4 of 5 including the NIT consolation game versus Louisville. People make fun of the NIT now, but that group that went to NYC were pretty strong. UCLA. Denny Crum/Louisville. Bobby Knight/Indiana. Walt Hazzard though. Ugh.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
We hang banners for making the NIT lol

Where can I find the trophy for that Elite 8 in TBA? Oops, forgot they don’t give you one for that.

We hang banners for making the NIT lol

Where can I find the trophy for that Elite 8 in TBA? Oops, forgot they don’t give you one for that.

yeap no trophy for anything in the NCAAT but the Natl Chsp. Trophy.

3 wins versus 2. Three is more than 2.

You want to rethink that genius?

Last time I checked, a team in the field of 64 MUST win 3 games to play in the Elite 8 round, which would be game 4 for those that did not have to play in the "play-in" game.

Elite 8.JPG

VN Store

Back