What type of money would we need to come up with NIL money to entice Chandler to stay another year?

He’s a late first round/early 2nd round pick by most mock drafts.

But he’s probably the best player we’ve had at Tennessee maybe ever. Dude showed yesterday how much he wanted to win.

We need to at least try to put something together to entice him to stay. What type of money we need?

KC is an outstanding player but let’s not get carried away. King, Grunfeld, Ellis, Williams, etc all played great in losing NCAA efforts. And Alan Houston, while never playing in a NCAA, was in that group.

KC is an outstanding player but let’s not get carried away. King, Grunfeld, Ellis, Williams, etc all played great in losing NCAA efforts. And Alan Houston, while never playing in a NCAA, was in that group.

The all-time freshman team is King, Grunfeld, Houston, and Chandler. I’m not sure who’s the 5th. Maybe Tony Harris.

If there enough interest in Tennessee basketball to make that happen? I think if Chandler comes back, our only major loss is Fulkerson, and he for some reason was not even close to where he was even two years ago.
Fulkerson i love him. But the truth is he is to lean to bang and got pushed around way to often. We need a few of those rough neck types Memphis seems to always wind up with. Can jump out of the gym and has a mean streak. We need a dominate big man for a change.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He's gone. Probably played himself into Top 20 range. By coming back, he's delaying his 2nd NBA contract. NIL won't overcome that.

You will likely see Anfernee Simons sign something exceeding 4 years and $60MM this offseason and become a free agent again at 26. This is why guys leave when they get first round guarantees.

Last edited:
Fulkerson i love him. But the truth is he is to lean to bang and got pushed around way to often. We need a few of those rough neck types Memphis seems to always wind up with. Can jump out of the gym and has a mean streak. We need a dominate big man for a change.

Plavic is gonna develop. He’s made huge improvements and I think he’ll continue to improve over the offseason. Hatfield as well.

This team could be very very good if we continue to develop. Chandler would be the key piece tho. But I think we could be competitive without him. With him we’d almost be guaranteed to be SEC favorites.

Two points of contention with everything you said:

1) chandler has an opportunity to develop and improve his draft stock. We all know he’s one of the best players in the country. I think one more year in college and he becomes an early early draft pick and has the opportunity to start earlier in the NBA AND GET a bigger 2nd contract.

I hate to say it but Chandler def doesn’t have the size to immediately play in the NBA.

2) opportunity to create a legacy. Chandler has an opportunity to be the most impactful founding father in Tennessee basketball history. Maybe an 18-19 year old kid doesn’t understand legacy—but honestly-no one REALLY cares about the NBA. College legacy is a different story.

No offense, but neither of your points really refute anything I said. I don’t think “legacy” is something kids really care much about when it comes to college athletics. You say “no one really cares about the NBA” but I don’t think that is accurate. Plenty of people care about the NBA. Clearly these student athletes do as that is why they play the game in the first place.

Sure, he could improve his draft stock by returning, but then again it doesn’t refute my point. He loses a year out of college if he does return. That’s one year further away from that 2nd contract and if he believes he can develop quicker with basketball as his full-time job, returning won’t make much sense.

Again, I obviously very very much want Chandler to return. I just don’t see a path for that to happen that seems very likely at this point.

Plavic is gonna develop. He’s made huge improvements and I think he’ll continue to improve over the offseason. Hatfield as well.

This team could be very very good if we continue to develop. Chandler would be the key piece tho. But I think we could be competitive without him. With him we’d almost be guaranteed to be SEC favorites.
I just wish Uros would play as nasty as he runs his mouth. Quit being so soft to often.

Two points of contention with everything you said:

1) chandler has an opportunity to develop and improve his draft stock. We all know he’s one of the best players in the country. I think one more year in college and he becomes an early early draft pick and has the opportunity to start earlier in the NBA AND GET a bigger 2nd contract.

I hate to say it but Chandler def doesn’t have the size to immediately play in the NBA.

2) opportunity to create a legacy. Chandler has an opportunity to be the most impactful founding father in Tennessee basketball history. Maybe an 18-19 year old kid doesn’t understand legacy—but honestly-no one REALLY cares about the NBA. College legacy is a different story.

Chandler's path to starting in the NBA isn't going to be improved by playing here vs playing in the actual NBA. He's either going to be skilled enough to play there or he's not. A second year here playing 35 games in a college system won't do for him what 82 games plus summer league will do for him, if he goes to the NBA.

Your second point is absurd. No one cares about Michael Jordan because of what he did at North Carolina except for North Carolina fans. His legacy was written in the NBA. Same with Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and even Bernard King. We love King for what he did here. His most known and important basketball legacy is his dominant scoring and MVP level play in New York.

Pete Maravich is probably the only player I can think of with a huge legacy based almost entirely around his play in college. When your dad is the coach and you get to shoot 90 percent of your team's shots, it works that way.

I don’t buy that rumor about Nico. What Knoxville business just has $8 million lying around to throw at a kid who hasn’t played a down of college football?

It’s not fully guaranteed. It’s a 6’figure signing bonus to commit then 2 million per year that he’s enrolled. No one is coughing up 8 million upfront.

The only way he stays if if he is really enjoying the college experience. I mean really, really enjoying it. And I doubt that is the case.

Here's the thing though - do you really think bringing Chandler back will lead Tennessee to a national title? Because if you don't, why would you even consider giving anyone that kind of money?

Let's say you managed to get your hands on that sort of money, to say nothing of getting your hands on that sort of money in time for the NBA Draft; you have to realize you're not buying something, you're betting on something. You're making a bet that spending all that money to bring Chandler back would lead to a national title. Otherwise, why offer it? And that's not even taking into consideration our coach's track record, and his history of struggling to get out of the first weekend. Would you still want to throw that kind of money on that bet? Because that's what you're effectively doing.
If Hendon Hooker truly got $1 million, as is rumored, to return, do you think it makes Tennessee a CFP contender?

I'd argue Tennessee basketball, with Chandler, is infinitely closer to winning a national title than Tennessee football is to making the CFP with Hooker.

Here's the thing though - do you really think bringing Chandler back will lead Tennessee to a national title? Because if you don't, why would you even consider giving anyone that kind of money?

Let's say you managed to get your hands on that sort of money, to say nothing of getting your hands on that sort of money in time for the NBA Draft; you have to realize you're not buying something, you're betting on something. You're making a bet that spending all that money to bring Chandler back would lead to a national title. Otherwise, why offer it? And that's not even taking into consideration our coach's track record, and his history of struggling to get out of the first weekend. Would you still want to throw that kind of money on that bet? Because that's what you're effectively doing.

Not even a question. If big donors are going to invest in NIL deals anyway, you absolutely want to try to bring KC back. We are an instant top 5 preseason team. That NIL deal may not be maximized if we don't make the FF, but if KC came back, the exposure for the program would be awesome. More sell out games, more tv exposure, more people talking about UT basketball. He is absolutely worth investing in that kind of money.

That said, I can't see it happening. Even at say, a $2 million deal, he is most likely looking at being drafted in the first round, which gets him a minimum of $5-$6 million.

I see absolutely no advantage for him returning to college for any amount of NIL money. If he wants to make a career out of basketball, he needs to go the NBA ASAP. The practice and development alone at the NBA level is more valuable than any NIL deal for a legitimate NBA prospect. Even if he were playing G League for less money than an NIL deal, that's still better for his future than another year at UT.

Reactions: pimo1
We supposedly have Nico a package of about 8 million. That’s 2 per year if he stays all 4. We can get Kennedy 2 mil if that’s what it takes. You think it would be worth it if he takes us to a Final 4? I do
The return on investment for great football is more by a longshot than basketball. I prefer being great at bball. However realistically the donations and revenue is much greater from football so any company or companies who would fork over an NIL would want enough marketability to get returns and to be honest it wont ever be there for basketball.

If Hendon Hooker truly got $1 million, as is rumored, to return, do you think it makes Tennessee a CFP contender?

I'd argue Tennessee basketball, with Chandler, is infinitely closer to winning a national title than Tennessee football is to making the CFP with Hooker.

We just gave an unproven junior high school QB $8 million across 3-4 years to come to Tennessee. I am in complete agreement that Chandler is worth whatever he wants to stay (although he ain't staying). Football is king around here, but to your point Chandler returning makes this squad a legit national championship team. Hooker returning doesn't make this squad a CFP contender. Too many holes elsewhere.

Besides, it isn't the university's money, so if Spyre is able to offer Kennedy a transformative deal he can't refuse, then yes it is worth it.

He’s a late first round/early 2nd round pick by most mock drafts.

But he’s probably the best player we’ve had at Tennessee maybe ever. Dude showed yesterday how much he wanted to win.

We need to at least try to put something together to entice him to stay. What type of money we need?

Grunfeld, Houston and King say hold my beer.

PG- Chandler
SG- Houston
SF- King
PF- Harris
C- Boerwinkle

Tony Harris, Chris Lofton, Ellis, Grunfeld and Kevin Nash would be on my bench.

“Freshman”. Put Grunfeld back on it. Ellis wasn’t a great freshman. Boerwinkle wasn’t eligible as a freshman. Nash was busy trying to bang Devoe’s wife.

Let's say you managed to get your hands on that sort of money, to say nothing of getting your hands on that sort of money in time for the NBA Draft; you have to realize you're not buying something, you're betting on something. You're making a bet that spending all that money to bring Chandler back would lead to a national title. Otherwise, why offer it? And that's not even taking into consideration our coach's track record and his history of struggling to get out of the first weekend. Would you still want to throw that kind of money on that bet? Because that's what you're effectively doing.
Also if Chandler comes back where do we get a Scholly (and playing time) for BJ Edwards.... Do we bench ZZ and make BBJ the new 6th man and run off another player?

It is in KC's best interest to declare. Even if he has a better season next year unless he has like an all-American breakout with no injuries he at best stands pat on his draft position. The NBA values Youth and upside more than anything. It is why when the draft happens most of the first round will be freshmen especially the top of the draft.

Nil money is going to have a lot more effect on football players and mid roster guys who don't have a guaranteed payday at the next level. Basketball will be the least affected by it IMO because those kids (the blue-chippers) have a lot more options. For football, it's min 3 years in college period. Whether it's a redshirt some JC or whatever. You enroll in college and there's a 3-year clock that starts ticking. Maybe if one of the other upstart football leagues stays around for more than half a season that changes. But for football NIL makes a lot of business sense to the player. For basketball, if you're a top guy its just extra. They can GO to the NBADL, G-League Ignite, play overseas or just f off for a year and wait. They don't even need to go to College to get NIL.

It's also has a much smaller pool. Whereas with football you're competing with a lot more people for a lot fewer spots in the grand scheme. Football has a bigger roster true but only one real destination. For Basketball, there are many leagues worldwide that pay hundreds of thousands if not millions to players. A CFL team has a salary cap of 5.3 mil, iirc highest-paid player there makes around 170k. There are benchwarmers in European and Asian leagues making more than that.

VN Store

Back