What type of money would we need to come up with NIL money to entice Chandler to stay another year?

WhenUrVolUrVFL

He’s a late first round/early 2nd round pick by most mock drafts.

But he’s probably the best player we’ve had at Tennessee maybe ever. Dude showed yesterday how much he wanted to win.

We need to at least try to put something together to entice him to stay. What type of money we need?

He’s a late first round/early 2nd round pick by most mock drafts.

But he’s probably the best player we’ve had at Tennessee maybe ever. Dude showed yesterday how much he wanted to win.

We need to at least try to put something together to entice him to stay. What type of money we need?

Maybe ever?????? Bernard King ring a bell. All time NBA team. Tore up a knee, came back to win POY and I think led the league in scoring.

Yeah can't say he's the best ever. Potential to be if he stayed for sure. Grant Williams was 2-time 1st team All-SEC and consensus All-American his Junior/last year. And Grant probably isn't the best ever either.

I think it would probably take 8 figures to get his attention to stay.

Reactions: minorvol
NBA 1 pick makes $8.5MM
NBA pick 8 makes 4MM
NBA pick 13 makes 3 MM
NBA pick 22 makes 2MM
I’d say we can put 1MM on the table we’d have a chance as he could potentially make up any money he lost by improving his stock a few spots which I think would certainly be possible.

NBA 1 pick makes $8.5MM
NBA pick 8 makes 4MM
NBA pick 13 makes 3 MM
NBA pick 22 makes 2MM
I’d say we can put 1MM on the table we’d have a chance as he could potentially make up any money he lost by improving his stock a few spots which I think would certainly be possible.

Your numbers are slightly off. Thats 100% of the NBA rookie scale, but rookies can sign from anywhere between 80% to 120% of that number. The majority of rookies sign for 120% (even the last pick of the first round last year got 120% which came out to just under 2 million).

So id say it would cost 2 million to even get KC to think about coming back and I don't see us investing that kind of money in him for one year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
We supposedly have Nico a package of about 8 million. That’s 2 per year if he stays all 4. We can get Kennedy 2 mil if that’s what it takes. You think it would be worth it if he takes us to a Final 4? I do

Here's the thing though - do you really think bringing Chandler back will lead Tennessee to a national title? Because if you don't, why would you even consider giving anyone that kind of money?

Let's say you managed to get your hands on that sort of money, to say nothing of getting your hands on that sort of money in time for the NBA Draft; you have to realize you're not buying something, you're betting on something. You're making a bet that spending all that money to bring Chandler back would lead to a national title. Otherwise, why offer it? And that's not even taking into consideration our coach's track record, and his history of struggling to get out of the first weekend. Would you still want to throw that kind of money on that bet? Because that's what you're effectively doing.

We supposedly have Nico a package of about 8 million. That’s 2 per year if he stays all 4. We can get Kennedy 2 mil if that’s what it takes. You think it would be worth it if he takes us to a Final 4? I do
I don’t buy that rumor about Nico. What Knoxville business just has $8 million lying around to throw at a kid who hasn’t played a down of college football?

Have to make it enticing enough that a one year deal in Tennessee would trump getting a 15-20 position in draft and subsequent contract.

If I was a gambler, I would say 3-4 million for one year would get him to stay.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Have to make it enticing enough that a one year deal in Tennessee would trump getting a 15-20 position in draft and subsequent contract.

If I was a gambler, I would say 3-4 million for one year would get him to stay.
He’s not going to stay. Going pro means you no longer have to go to class to be eligible to play. You can just work on your game full-time.

I
Your numbers are slightly off. Thats 100% of the NBA rookie scale, but rookies can sign from anywhere between 80% to 120% of that number. The majority of rookies sign for 120% (even the last pick of the first round last year got 120% which came out to just under 2 million).

So id say it would cost 2 million to even get KC to think about coming back and I don't see us investing that kind of money in him for one year.

It would absolutely be worth it. He’s one of the best point guards in the country. Furthermore, our recruiting the next year is not going to replace what we lose with him.

If we pay him, we’ve got a shot to win the SEC again, and we don’t really lose anyone other than Fulkerson who regressed anyway.

I

It would absolutely be worth it. He’s one of the best point guards in the country. Furthermore, our recruiting the next year is not going to replace what we lose with him.

If we pay him, we’ve got a shot to win the SEC again, and we don’t really lose anyone other than Fulkerson who regressed anyway.

Yep, exactly. And, if he returns, he's the #1 PG in the nation, no question. This team will not, under any circumstances, be better next year if we don't have him back. I mean, it's unlikely he's coming back, but this is a good, not great, team next year without him.

He’s not coming back unless he doesn’t care about money. A key piece of information that people frequently overlook is that NBA prospects are ALL about getting to that 2nd contract. Sure, realistically we maybe could offer him enough NIL to bridge the $1-$2 million gap in draft money, but that doesn’t account for the fact that it means he’d be at Tennessee for another year and one-year further away from that 2nd contract.

The quicker you can get to the 2nd contract, the more money you can make over your career. For that reason alone, I doubt he comes back.

He’s not going to stay. Going pro means you no longer have to go to class to be eligible to play. You can just work on your game full-time.

Sure. That is why I said we'd have to offer 3-4 million to get him back. 3-4 million in state of TN will be close to 2x or 3x what he would make in year one of a rookie contract assuming he goes 15-25.

He’s not coming back unless he doesn’t care about money. A key piece of information that people frequently overlook is that NBA prospects are ALL about getting to that 2nd contract. Sure, realistically we maybe could offer him enough NIL to bridge the $1-$2 million gap in draft money, but that doesn’t account for the fact that it means he’d be at Tennessee for another year and one-year further away from that 2nd contract.

The quicker you can get to the 2nd contract, the more money you can make over your career. For that reason alone, I doubt he comes back.

Two points of contention with everything you said:

1) chandler has an opportunity to develop and improve his draft stock. We all know he’s one of the best players in the country. I think one more year in college and he becomes an early early draft pick and has the opportunity to start earlier in the NBA AND GET a bigger 2nd contract.

I hate to say it but Chandler def doesn’t have the size to immediately play in the NBA.

2) opportunity to create a legacy. Chandler has an opportunity to be the most impactful founding father in Tennessee basketball history. Maybe an 18-19 year old kid doesn’t understand legacy—but honestly-no one REALLY cares about the NBA. College legacy is a different story.

Two points of contention with everything you said:

1) chandler has an opportunity to develop and improve his draft stock. We all know he’s one of the best players in the country. I think one more year in college and he becomes an early early draft pick and has the opportunity to start earlier in the NBA AND GET a bigger 2nd contract.

I hate to say it but Chandler def doesn’t have the size to immediately play in the NBA.

2) opportunity to create a legacy. Chandler has an opportunity to be the most impactful founding father in Tennessee basketball history. Maybe an 18-19 year old kid doesn’t understand legacy—but honestly-no one REALLY cares about the NBA. College legacy is a different story.

I might or might not have heard him in a post game interview say “Go Vowels”.

VN Store

Back