NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Buffalo/Belmont

I know, I KNOW - I'm not too stressed, I can quit any time I want!!
[sweat, sweat]

GLV!!
Our poor dogs are a mess! With the LVs and Vols playing yesterday and the family and friends bracket fest they are sure they are the worst dogs in the world! I need to give BB a rest today and let the dogs have a long walk in the sun😆

Watching replay of the highlights, several turnovers were set up because the ball was trapped and teammates just wouldn't move into an open passing lane.

One time in particular, the LV with the ball was double-teamed and pinned against the sideline, while her teammate, only 8 feet away, was standing with her arms out to receive the pass--directly in line with one of the double-teamers! The ball could only have gotten to her through the defender's body! Yet all she had to do to get open for the pass was move sideways another 3 feet!!!

I am convinced that many of our players--and I mean this diagnostically, not facetiously--would score low on a spatial reasoning assessment. I don't think we're too lazy to move, and I doubt that we're just reckless, and after all the coaches have said and done, I can't imagine it would be lack of focus.

Possibly supporting that hypothesis, at least half of the interceptions appeared to be caused by narrowly focused vision or lack of peripheral vision. Just a glancing scan should have shown the passer that a defender was in position to intercept. We made their freshman guard Woolley (great last name for an Aussie!) look like Walt Frazier!

I think you are on to something here. This team is generally bad at reading passing angles. Under stress, people's field of vision tends to narrow (the ole getting tunnel vision cliche). Another analogy are less successful QBs who throw what appear to be inexplicable interceptions from the fan's perspective but what the QBs sees is a tunnel vision target.

Kaiya is an elite level athlete. Her ceiling as a player is very very high if she develops her skillset (particularly shooting fundamentals) as a basketball player.

Agreed winning state titles in track and field are hard enough ... winning being a heptathlete might be putting that on another level lol

Agreed winning state titles in track and field are hard enough ... winning being a heptathlete might be putting that on another level lol

True! That’s why she is so strong already on the defensive end as a freshman. Has exceptional speed and ability to move laterally w/ good size as a guard. The few areas I think can really take her game to the next level is if they work on her finishing around the basket on fast breaks and developing a floater inside the paint.

Last edited:
Kaiya is an elite level athlete. Her ceiling as a player is very very high if she develops her skillset (particularly shooting fundamentals) as a basketball player.

As another example of what I've posted about several times over the years, Kaiya strikes me as yet another of those naturally gifted athletes who, growing up, likely never had to work extremely hard to be the best player on every sports team she played on. Kids like that who play basketball sometimes, though not ALWAYS, fail to get into the gym to put up enough shots to get good at making them at a consistently high rate.

I could be completely wrong and Wynn could have been a total shot-shooting gym rat over the years. But the way she has approached the college game so far it sure looks like she could benefit from putting up a lot more shots on her own time. She's been a really good player, but she has the potential to be great. She could be Catchings-like by the time she's a senior if she buckles down and comes to grips with the fact that she could get dramatically better than she can even imagine being right now if she just took shooting to a more serious level. Her defense isn't going to be a problem.

As another example of what I've posted about several times over the years, Kaiya strikes me as yet another of those naturally gifted athletes who, growing up, likely never had to work extremely hard to be the best player on every sports team she played on. Kids like that who play basketball sometimes, though not ALWAYS, fail to get into the gym to put up enough shots to get good at making them at a consistently high rate.

I could be completely wrong and Wynn could have been a total shot-shooting gym rat over the years. But the way she has approached the college game so far it sure looks like she could benefit from putting up a lot more shots on her own time. She's been a really good player, but she has the potential to be great. She could be Catchings-like by the time she's a senior if she buckles down and comes to grips with the fact that she could get dramatically better than she can even imagine being right now if she just took shooting to a more serious level. Her defense isn't going to be a problem.

In general, I think you are correct. A player with Wynn's athletic talent can dominate most high school comp based on speed, quick, and hops. Her go to move of driving to lane was probably unstoppable at that level. Honestly, Mercedes Russell seemed to be in the same position her freshman season (caveat that she also had some health problems that limited her as well). But she looked like a player who dominated through her size but her post game was far from polished and many other aspects of her game needed work. Izzy Harrison - another uber talent who was raw as a player. Glory Johnson same deal and the list goes on.

Most players figure out that they need to develop their game to be successful and I am sure Kaiya will as well,. But, it is pretty rare to see a player who comes in as poor shooter develop into a great shooter. Shootinh may be a skill that is just harder to develop later. So, I don't expect Kaiya to ever be Caitlin Clarke. Instead, I think she is going to be the lock down defender who gets us 5 to 10 points a game.

Last edited:
Most players figure out that they need to develop their game to be successful and I am sure Kaiya,. But, it is pretty rare to see a player who comes in as poor shooter develop into a great shooter. They may be a skill that is just harder to develop later. So, I don't expect Kaiya to ever be Caitlin Clarke. Instead, I think she is going to be the lock down defender who gets us 5 to 10 points a game.

I agree.

Going back to my thought that Kaiya could be Catchings-like by the time she’s a senior, I said that while remembering that Catch herself was never a great shooter. She was a moderately good shooter who also was a tenacious defender/hustler with so much heart and desire to win that being only a decent shooter didn’t hurt her legacy.

I feel like Kaiya Wynn could be that type of player.

We just need to recruit women inside that play aggressive and have a good touch on shooting inside. I hate to harp on Keyes, but the stone cold truth is she moves slow and often plays soft. She was a foot taller than everybody and looked overwhelmed and in a daze. Maybe some bench time will help. We need to recruit better shooters, we need a better mix of shooters and ball handlers and inside play that plays tough and strong. Our passing and moving without the ball has to get better ASAP or we will be out of this tourney. I seen zero sense of urgency in the first half. I wasn’t able to see the 2nd. We have to become more consistent. I am good friends with some of Pat Summitt’s nieces. Pat would have been livid with our movement in the first half. Keyes would have been on the pine with her lackluster play early and for sure got the stare of her life. Wake up Lady Vols play like you enjoy the game and have a pulse.

We just we need to recruit women inside that play aggressive and have a good touch on shooting inside. I hate to harp on Keyes, but the stone cold truth is she moves slow and often plays soft. She was a foot taller than everybody and looked overwhelmed and in a daze. Maybe some bench time will help. We need to recruit better shooters, we need a better mix of shooters and ball handlers and inside play that plays tough and strong. Our passing and moving without the ball has to get better ASAP or we will be out of this tourney. I seen zero sense of urgency in the first half. I wasn’t able to see the 2nd. We have to become more consistent. I am good friends with sone of Pat Summitt’s nieces. Pat would have been livid with our movement in the first half. Keyes would have been on the pine with her lackluster play early and for sure got the state of her life. Wake up Lady Vols play like you enjoy the game and gave a pulse.

Great post... but her name is KEY ... Like you put a 🔑 in a lock

But i believe that's why Kellie got on her and put her on the pine early on. She got the message. I agree with everything you said it was lackadaisical and there was no reason for it. Kellie mentioned only one person had played in a win or go home game in thompson bowling arena and that was Keyen Green (when she played for liberty) i wonder if nerves had something to do with it

I agree.

Going back to my thought that Kaiya could be Catchings-like by the time she’s a senior, I said that while remembering that Catch herself was never a great shooter. She was a moderately good shooter who also was a tenacious defender/hustler with so much heart and desire to win that being only a decent shooter didn’t hurt her legacy.

I feel like Kaiya Wynn could be that type of player.

Totally agree. The freshman need to hit the weight room with a mission this summer. If Striplin can bulk up her muscle a bit I think she’ll be a problem. Now that she has settled down a bit we are seeing that great touch. Could end up being a dynamite stretch 5 which will be a great backup for TK bringing another look.

Totally agree. The freshman need to hit the weight room with a mission this summer. If Striplin can bulk up her muscle a bit I think she’ll be a problem. Now that she has settled down a bit we are seeing that great touch. Could end up being a dynamite stretch 5 which will be a great backup for TK bringing another look.

Striplin is already naturally strong, but if she does go on that mission she’ll be immovable under the goal. She has it in her to be Daedra Charles-level physically strong if she makes up her mind to be. The proportions of her limbs to her torso are perfect for maximum strength while still being able to remain agile.

Striplin is already naturally strong, but if she does go on that mission she’ll be immovable under the goal. She has it in her to be Daedra Charles-level physically strong if she makes up her mind to be. The proportions of her limbs to her torso are perfect for maximum strength while still being able to remain agile.

Yes, I think of Bash Graves as well, but with better shooting touch. If Karoline put on 10-15lbs of muscle they would have a similar build.

VN Store

Back