NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Buffalo/Belmont

Hmm just bought tickets on the UT website and it said 7.

If it's changed to 5, I'll bet UConn goes to 7 pm slot and the tin foil hats can go back on.

Belmont instead of Oregon probably accounts for the change.

5:00 mountain time, sorry! The app adjusts the time for you, I forget.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
5:00 mountain time, sorry! The app adjusts the time for you, I forget.
OK good! A 5 pm start would decimate our crowd on a Monday. I was pleasantly surprised at a pretty good crowd yesterday. LOL there was a stampede out after the game to get home and watch the men play. Which of course turned out heartbreaking.

Last edited:
On the other hand, academically, now would be the time to start determining where you're going to pursue your graduate degree. Especially when you need to spend your summer integrating with new teammates.
But you can still research where you want to go without being in the portal, right?

Good points.

I don't think our turnover bugaboo is (once the season's over) a truly dead horse.

It's a wonderful opportunity for some Sports Psych grad student with a strong background in Evolutionary Psych research to come up with therapies which could further develop or strengthen that mental aspect. Brains are flexible, neural pathways can be widened and quickened, and if the optic nerves are sound (pun intended), this seems doable.

Yes, among the general population, there is a gender-gap in spatial reasoning. But taken individually, there are extremes on both sides. The fact that our LVs are basketball players should be a strong indication that they are at least higher than average in that aspect. Maximizing that cognitive capability seems worth the effort.

Last edited:
I should be really happy that we play Belmont but we all know we don’t play well with teams who shoot 3s at a high clip
gonna need Tamari to do what Sabally did and completely dominate inside and do what Oregon didn’t do hit some 3s at a high clip looking forward and praying that we hit at least 7 or more 3s

But you can still research where you want to go without being in the portal, right?

True. But when filtering for two factors, it makes sense to start with the factor that produces the fewer results. Makes it less work to find the best match for the other factor. I'm guessing there are more graduate programs than basketball opportunities that fit her goals.

But I'm not familiar enough with portal rules to know if the announcement itself opens up a different level of contact with schools and coaches.

I should be really happy that we play Belmont but we all know we don’t play well with teams who shoot 3s at a high clip
gonna need Tamari to do what Sabally did and completely dominate inside and do what Oregon didn’t do hit some 3s at a high clip looking forward and praying that we hit at least 7 or more 3s

Hopefully games against Missouri and Arkansas have helped us prepare for a team like Belmont.

Watching replay of the highlights, several turnovers were set up because the ball was trapped and teammates just wouldn't move into an open passing lane.

One time in particular, the LV with the ball was double-teamed and pinned against the sideline, while her teammate, only 8 feet away, was standing with her arms out to receive the pass--directly in line with one of the double-teamers! The ball could only have gotten to her through the defender's body! Yet all she had to do to get open for the pass was move sideways another 3 feet!!!

I am convinced that many of our players--and I mean this diagnostically, not facetiously--would score low on a spatial reasoning assessment. I don't think we're too lazy to move, and I doubt that we're just reckless, and after all the coaches have said and done, I can't imagine it would be lack of focus.

Possibly supporting that hypothesis, at least half of the interceptions appeared to be caused by narrowly focused vision or lack of peripheral vision. Just a glancing scan should have shown the passer that a defender was in position to intercept. We made their freshman guard Woolley (great last name for an Aussie!) look like Walt Frazier!
Exceelnt post. Please send a copy to the coaching staff. It truly seems that our team has yet to grasp this not fairly easy concept. It needs to be drilled in our player's heads every bit as much as rebound, rebound, and rebound.

Last edited:
Reactions: youcancallmeAl
that’s horrendous. They’re FREE!
Was the reason I thought she wouldn't be very good point guard for us this season. She was about a 50 percent FT in high school as well. She does a lot of things well shooting is not one of them.

Out of the two games played at TBA yesterday, Tennessee and Belmont had two of the better performances particularly the 2nd Half performance from the Lady Vols out of all the March Madness games played on Sat. To score 80 points in an NCAA tourney game w/out your leading scorer is a major success.
As for Tennessee versus Belmont, it definitely won’t look like many of these predictions on VolNation which are often times baseless.
Tennessee had 4 players score in double figures.. in the 2nd half Rae Burrell took over offensively and was the best player on the court. Buffalo top player took 20 or more FGs to score 25 pts.. you’ll take those numbers every time in a victory. J. Walker was outstanding in this matchup on both ends of the court. I watched several live games yesterday,
I didn’t see a single team that Tennessee couldn’t compete against even w/out Horston. I like our chances tomorrow night. If Horston returns at some point in sound physical condition this tourney, I’ll feel even better about the LVs.

OK good! A 5 pm start would decimate our crowd on a Monday. I was pleasantly surprised at a pretty good crowd yesterday. LOL there was a stampede out after the game to get home and watch the men play. Which of course turned out heartbreaking.
Going into the game, I was hoping for 6,000. Almost got there - 5,448. As normal, our post season crowds are more vocal than our regular season crowds.

Going into the game, I was hoping for 6,000. Almost got there - 5,448. As normal, our post season crowds are more vocal than our regular season crowds.

Someone said the students are on spring break so i wonder if they will be back by monday? If so, i could see them and the mens basketball team showing up for the game. We were also playing SC in baseball at home yesterday. So hopefully not having so many moving parts and another instate school i expect the numbers to go ⬆️

The game will be on the main ESPN channel so i would expect a lot of people tuning into the game as well.

Just checked out ESPN game log.. Buffalo guard Fair was 10-28 w/ 25 pts. That stat line favors the defense.. and I don’t see enough credit being given to Jordan Walker and at times Brooklyn Miles for forcing the 4th leading scorer in the nation to shoot a very low percentage from the floor.
People are talking up Fair performance in a double digit loss.. but lets say Rae or Horston put up those numbers those same VolNation critics would be furious of them missing 18 shots!

Last edited:
Just checked out ESPN game log.. Buffalo guard Fair was 10-28 w/ 25 pts. That stat line favors the defense.. and I don’t see enough credit being given to Jordan Walker and at times Brooklyn Miles for forcing the 4th leading scorer in the nation to shoot a very low percentage for the floor.
People are talking up Fair performance in a double digit loss.. but lets say Rae or Horston put up those numbers those same VolNation critics would be furious of them missing 18 shots!

Kaiya also switched up and guarded her in spurts to put more size on her and everytime she took a step back jumper

VN Store

Back