NCAAT Game Thread: Lady Vols vs Buffalo/Belmont

After watching teams like a Creighton besting Iowa and South Dakota beating Baylor, both in hostile environments on the home teams floor, I am not going to be overlooking Belmont by any means. We better be ready to go, and be watching for that 3 ball, because Belmont can shoot the 3, just as Creighton and South Dakota did. I expect Tamari to be swamped inside, so we are gonna have to knock down some jumpers to open the paint.

Tougher game tonight than Buffalo. They are much better three point shooters probably can't force as many turnovers unless we do it to ourselves. Coach Harper thought the defense was good in the Buffalo game, but I really thought it was bad in the first half as well as the rebounding. In the second half everything was better still not as intensive as we can play. Would love to see us make the sweet sixteen not going to be easy Belmont is a team that gives 100 percent for forty minutes.

I don't want to get too specific but I've noticed in the last 3 games that Rae is doing some things in her ball handling that are not technically sound and are being done repetitively. Buffalo picked her pocket several times because of this. I think opponents are seeing this "in the film" on Rae and that is why a freshman like #4 for Buffalo had a lot of success defending her. Should be easy corrections for Rae if anyone at UT is scouting ourselves.

I don't want to get too specific but I've noticed in the last 3 games that Rae is doing some things in her ball handling that are not technically sound and are being done repetitively. Buffalo picked her pocket several times because of this. I think opponents are seeing this "in the film" on Rae and that is why a freshman like #4 for Buffalo had a lot of success defending her. Should be easy corrections for Rae if anyone at UT is scouting ourselves.
Yeah it’s easy just give the ball up Rae. She needs to be a spot up shooter, unless she has a clear way to the basket. Her over dribbling is annoying, against Buffalo you can see the faces trying to get the ball from her and she ignores them and then gives the ball up

Yeah it’s easy just give the ball up Rae. She needs to be a spot up shooter, unless she has a clear way to the basket. Her over dribbling is annoying, against Buffalo you can see the faces trying to get the ball from her and she ignores them and then gives the ball up

It's not just the overdribbling, but that is a valid issue. There are certain things that she has been doing (let's just call it being loose with the ball) and you can get away with that sometimes if you aren't doing the same thing repetitively. She's doing it repetitively, and I fear it is in our opponent's scouting reports. With some good self-scouting these would be very easy to clean up... and possibly use against future opponents (turn a negative into a positive very quickly).

Please don’t lose to Belmont. Please. We would never live it down if we do.

Not to be overly dramatic but if the LVs lose to Belmont, a massive plague of locust will descend upon the planet devouring everything in their wake and then the residual husks will be washed away in a great flood. Worst yet, the end of the world would be a major set back to Kellie's recruiting for the 2024 class.

Not to be overly dramatic but if the LVs lose to Belmont, a massive plague of locust will descend upon the planet devouring everything in their wake and then the residual husks will be washed away in a great flood. Worst yet, the end of the world would be a major set back to Kellie's recruiting for the 2024 class.

Not to be overly dramatic, but the LVs are going to stomp them like bugs!

Not to be overly dramatic, but the LVs are going to stomp them like bugs!

If that were to happen my year would me made. Hell, if we "stomp" them by even ONE POINT my year will be made! :D

Love this team and want so, so much for them to beat this tough Belmont team. Might need to light some candles before the game. The basketball gods sometimes appreciate that.

Belmont will be jacked up with nothing to lose. They will give us their best game so we had best expect that. We can win this game if we give them our best from the get go. They are going to be all over TK, like they were against Oregon’s bigs, we must be able to shoot from the elbow and not just have a total mindset of just get the ball into TK. If we can make our outside shoots this will force Belmont to guard the outside shot and weaken their ability to triple down on TK. We can’t get a ten point lead and try to clear the bench, we must keep Belmont at bay and on their toes. From the start this will not be an easy game.

Belmont will be jacked up with nothing to lose. They will give us their best game so we had best expect that. We can win this game if we give them our best from the get go. They are going to be all over TK, like they were against Oregon’s bigs, we must be able to shoot from the elbow and not just have a total mindset of just get the ball into TK. If we can make our outside shoots this will force Belmont to guard the outside shot and weaken their ability to triple down on TK. We can’t get a ten point lead and try to clear the bench, we must keep Belmont at bay and on their toes. From the start this will not be an easy game.
We also have to stop them on the dribble drive .....we cannot come out complacent because its just "Belmont" be mindful this is the same "Belmont" that blasted ole miss on their home floor at the beginning of the season. This will not be a cake walk by no means.

It wasn't Iowa's defense that let them down. Creighton only scored 64 points, and just 26 in the second half. It was the Iowa offense that didn't do the job.
And that includes Clark, who shot 4 of 19 from the field.
Doesn't that say something about Creighton's defense though?? Seems like it would.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Doesn't that say something about Creighton's defense though?? Seems like it would.
Yes, Creighton plays solidly on defense. But Iowa shot only 35% from the field. Far below their average. Uconn, also a #2 seed like Iowa, played Creighton twice in the Big East. They shot 45% and 50% in their games with Creighton. So it can be done. If Clark shoots better than 4 of 19, Creighton wins.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don’t see Kellie letting the LVs look past “only Belmont”. Now that doesn’t mean we don’t need some outside shots to fall. I think Tess is due!!

I don`t see TN having a problem with Belmont just to much size for Belmont. TN is like SC somewhat not shooting the ball well right now but win the game on the glass and defense.

VN Store

Back