Tennessee is going no where under Barnes (Good news)

JMSqb11

While emotions are still high and people vent (which they should), the bright side is that Barnes is likely to be top dog in the SEC for the next few years. There were a few surprising coaching changes that have really only created more distance between 3 schools in the SEC from the rest. The one school not making a change will drop off due to graduations. Regardless of the the current views of Barnes, the only knock or negative for us in the short term going forward will be performance in the NCAA tourney. It is no longer March in general as we got the monkey off our back winning the SEC tourney. Add in fact that we will be back in Nashville for a bit going forward, I can thoroughly say I am optimistic for Tennessee under Barnes for the next 2-4 years. I personally think Barnes has 3-5 seasons left before retiring. I also think that we are also set up with the current roster and recruiting classes to turn out another top 5-10 ranked team in preseason and likely be a top 2 team in the league next year.

SEC Changes for next year:
Florida lost White and hired no namer, up and comer
LSU canned Will Wade and prolly going back to the cellar
Georgia got White, but they are literally rock bottom and there is no overnight fix
MSU losing Howland
South Carolina canned Martin
Mizzou lost Cuonzo "Pat Forde" Martin
Arkansas is losing Notae, Lyke, and Umude
Hell, even Alabama is talking crazy about firing Nate Oats

With these coaching changes above, the SEC only got more top heavy with Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

The coaching changes in the SEC only make me more confident because there are only 3 legit coaches right now in the league with lofty expectations and that is Bruce, Cal, and Barnes. Musselman is fine and all, but they are literally going to lose a giant core of their roster and scoring this offseason.

Am I happy at the fact that we will likely turn out another 25 wins, top 10 ranking, but likely fold in March? No it sucks and is bittersweet. But i'm old enough to remember the days of black curtains in TBA, having the mindset that we need to win the conference tourney to have even a shot at the NCAAT, and our recruiting being in the gutter.

I expect a full amount of trolling and "Carrying water for Barnes" comments, but at the end of the day, we don't have to worry about struggling recruiting classes and being on the bubble. And for all the trolling comments, the cost of paying Barnes $5 million to keep things nationally relevant and a constant NCAAT team far outweighs going the cheap route to play the game of "lets see if we can find the next up and comer"...... There is no "Roy Williams to UNC" type hire that upgrades the coaching staff with the program in its current relevant standing. So any notion we should move on or "force a retirement" without any clear upgrade / national name hire should be tarred and feather'd and laugh out of the discussion.

I fully expect our record next year to be better than this year and for us to compete once again for regular season and tournament championship in the SEC. Like we do every year, we can cross the March Madness bridge when we come to it.

Barnes did not miss a single three last night. Vescovi, ZZ and the rest could not hit the side of a barn last night from 3. It has nothing to do with coaching, Barnes is doing his job getting recruits and coaching them up.

Barnes did not miss a single three last night. Vescovi, ZZ and the rest could not hit the side of a barn last night from 3. It has nothing to do with coaching, Barnes is doing his job getting recruits and coaching them up.
Live by the sword die by the sword. We absolutely did not shoot it well enough to win .

My first thought was, "at least we're not Alabama in basketball..."

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I like Coach Barnes. We are lucky to have him. He has been a huge positive after the dumpster fires of Pearl, Martin, and Tyndall. Barnes is respected, great assistants, and players love him. I agree we have a strong upside and that is true of all Tennessee sports. Great time to be a Vol Fan! Sad for the team but, you can't miss free throws, bunnies, and dunks as well as threes and beat a hotter shooting team. Their big man was dominant. We need one of those please. Fulky and Uros played their hearts out but, they are not tough enough/agile or in the same league as Dickinson and a few others. If we can keep KC and ZZZ for a couple more years and develop BHH, Aidoo, and maybe a portal big man who can move his feet and put the ball through the hoop...we will just fine.

Barnes gets no criticism on the defensive side of the ball last night?

I never understand the thinking that coaches hold so much power when a game starts. At that point it is about the players on the court. Are you suggesting that Barnes and the coaches didn’t go over on how to defend Michigans pick and roll? Or they didn’t coach the players during timeouts on what to do differently?

No defense would have had a chance last night with the shots they were making.
Given the refs desire to decide the winner...smh. We should not let the game get into the hands of the refs but, we did, we lost, and refs made a difference by ending our runs with insane foul calls. I think the calls against ZZZ, KC, and Vescovi were intentional to shut down our shooters.

Given the refs desire to decide the winner...smh. We should not let the game get into the hands of the refs but, we did, we lost, and refs made a difference by ending our runs with insane foul calls. I think the calls against ZZZ, KC, and Vescovi were intentional to shut down our shooters.
Michigan was more physical all night. IMO I think it has to do with how the reg season is played. The SEC calls everything a foul, the B10 lets players shoot each other and its only a foul if they see blood. I think there needs to be an off season conversation about letting the SEC be more physical.

Michigan was more physical all night. IMO I think it has to do with how the reg season is played. The SEC calls everything a foul, the B10 lets players shoot each other and its only a foul if they see blood. I think there needs to be an off season conversation about letting the SEC be more physical.
Absolutely. And by the way, here's our refs from the Michigan game...

Larry Scirotto
Some guy on an Illinois message board wonders why they do comparatively poorly in games that Scirotto ref (10 games in a season):
Is Larry Scirotto our kryptonite?
Meanwhile, Scirotto has reffed one Kentucky game, ever, and that was against Michigan State:
Larry Scirotto - Officiated Kentucky Games

Did we draw a Big 10 ref in a game against Michigan?

Earl Walton
Gets tossed from Big East tourney, goes to ref Big 10 tourney instead:
Referee Earl Walton, barred from Big East Tournament, officiates in Big Ten quarterfinals
UConn fan board guy opinion, Walton is one of the best who "let players play"
Referees today

Joe Lindsay
Guess who was around to end our season against Purdue in 2019?
We got hosed by Ref Joe Lindsay

Absolutely. And by the way, here's our refs from the Michigan game...

Larry Scirotto
Some guy on an Illinois message board wonders why they do comparatively poorly in games that Scirotto ref (10 games in a season):
Is Larry Scirotto our kryptonite?
Meanwhile, Scirotto has reffed one Kentucky game, ever, and that was against Michigan State:
Larry Scirotto - Officiated Kentucky Games

Did we draw a Big 10 ref in a game against Michigan?

Earl Walton
Gets tossed from Big East tourney, goes to ref Big 10 tourney instead:
Referee Earl Walton, barred from Big East Tournament, officiates in Big Ten quarterfinals
UConn fan board guy opinion, Walton is one of the best who "let players play"
Referees today

Joe Lindsay
Guess who was around to end our season against Purdue in 2019?
We got hosed by Ref Joe Lindsay
I think refs are assigned regionally, I dont know if thats the case for the tourney, but lets assume it is. Then playing a B10 team in Indy with refs that call B10 games. Yeah the committee knew what they were doing in under seeding us and sliding Michigan in where they did.

I think refs are assigned regionally, I dont know if thats the case for the tourney, but lets assume it is. Then playing a B10 team in Indy with refs that call B10 games. Yeah the committee knew what they were doing in under seeding us and sliding Michigan in where they did.
I can't get my head around that lol. Seems like at a minimum, even assigning regionally, you'd say... "Okay, we've got Tennessee and Michigan in Indy. Assign an Ohio Valley Conference ref crew", or Horizon League, or whatever. Not hand one team a competitive advantage because they already have a lot more familiarity with what a particular ref is going to call. Or not call.

We didn't have officiating at William Biles paved basketball courts. You fought, got beat down, or won. Not sure we need to go to that but, going into a game we tell coaches and players you get X many fouls and then you lose players til there is no one to score or that one guy scores the winning goal. The way it is now, when MI has no fouls called and are mugging UT players and we have 3-4 fouls called on our best shooters that go to the bench, it is too easy to rig and definitely not fair. Agree something needs to be done to make the officiating more fair.

There were too many times I would see a Michigan player with both arms wrapped completely around Uros, Fulky, JJJ, and the rest of our players, ref looking right at it, with whistle in his mouth, and do nothing. Yes, we also got a few no calls but, it was terribly one-sided in favor of MI.

To the OP's point though (sorry for the hijack!) yeah, I love what we've got coming back. We have a great team, a great coach, and an electric atmosphere. And I'd rather just focus on the SEC to be honest. In the SEC you've got 14 teams playing against each other, same teams, same refs, and a tournament that's directly seeded based on conference play and not, well, whatever that was. It's not just spinning a big roulette wheel and saying "Okay Vols, go play a Big Ten game! You get Michigan and a Big Ten ref crew. In Indianapolis. Enjoy." I can learn not to put too much weight on the dance and see it for what it is (an ATM machine for the NCAA, all about ratings).

In lighter news, I brought my daughter and a friend of hers to the Kentucky game this year and now she's hooked. Wants me to get season tickets next season.

I never understand the thinking that coaches hold so much power when a game starts. At that point it is about the players on the court. Are you suggesting that Barnes and the coaches didn’t go over on how to defend Michigans pick and roll? Or they didn’t coach the players during timeouts on what to do differently?

Leaving their center wide open on three's so they can double team someone else didn't work. Uros or whoever should have stuck with him like glue

Reactions: wmcovol

VN Store

Back