Tennessee is going no where under Barnes (Good news)

So wait when they shut people down as they did most of the season that was Barnes? Players make plays and sometimes Players get beat. This Branes can’t do this or that is so old.

All I'm saying this loss is on RB too, not just the players. Seems like everyone is throwing all the blame on the players

All I'm saying this loss is on RB too, not just the players. Seems like everyone is throwing all the blame on the players
Barnes had his guards in position to hit the same open 3’s that they have been hitting in the last 9 games. His coaching has been consistent. If we had hit half of those 3’s we would have won the game. Barnes did his job.

I noticed that Michigan was grabbing our cutters and slowing down our quickness on offense and totally getting by with it. In the SEC those would have been fouls.

While emotions are still high and people vent (which they should), the bright side is that Barnes is likely to be top dog in the SEC for the next few years. There were a few surprising coaching changes that have really only created more distance between 3 schools in the SEC from the rest. The one school not making a change will drop off due to graduations. Regardless of the the current views of Barnes, the only knock or negative for us in the short term going forward will be performance in the NCAA tourney. It is no longer March in general as we got the monkey off our back winning the SEC tourney. Add in fact that we will be back in Nashville for a bit going forward, I can thoroughly say I am optimistic for Tennessee under Barnes for the next 2-4 years. I personally think Barnes has 3-5 seasons left before retiring. I also think that we are also set up with the current roster and recruiting classes to turn out another top 5-10 ranked team in preseason and likely be a top 2 team in the league next year.

SEC Changes for next year:
Florida lost White and hired no namer, up and comer
LSU canned Will Wade and prolly going back to the cellar
Georgia got White, but they are literally rock bottom and there is no overnight fix
MSU losing Howland
South Carolina canned Martin
Mizzou lost Cuonzo "Pat Forde" Martin
Arkansas is losing Notae, Lyke, and Umude
Hell, even Alabama is talking crazy about firing Nate Oats

With these coaching changes above, the SEC only got more top heavy with Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

The coaching changes in the SEC only make me more confident because there are only 3 legit coaches right now in the league with lofty expectations and that is Bruce, Cal, and Barnes. Musselman is fine and all, but they are literally going to lose a giant core of their roster and scoring this offseason.

Am I happy at the fact that we will likely turn out another 25 wins, top 10 ranking, but likely fold in March? No it sucks and is bittersweet. But i'm old enough to remember the days of black curtains in TBA, having the mindset that we need to win the conference tourney to have even a shot at the NCAAT, and our recruiting being in the gutter.

I expect a full amount of trolling and "Carrying water for Barnes" comments, but at the end of the day, we don't have to worry about struggling recruiting classes and being on the bubble. And for all the trolling comments, the cost of paying Barnes $5 million to keep things nationally relevant and a constant NCAAT team far outweighs going the cheap route to play the game of "lets see if we can find the next up and comer"...... There is no "Roy Williams to UNC" type hire that upgrades the coaching staff with the program in its current relevant standing. So any notion we should move on or "force a retirement" without any clear upgrade / national name hire should be tarred and feather'd and laugh out of the discussion.

I fully expect our record next year to be better than this year and for us to compete once again for regular season and tournament championship in the SEC. Like we do every year, we can cross the March Madness bridge when we come to it.
The title of this thread, combined with your post, is somewhat confusing for us simpletons.
I took the title to mean we are never going to accomplish much under Barnes. But I believe your OP is that we are going to continue to play at a high level.
As others have said, continued exposure to the pressure of the NCAA tourney will eventually pay dividends for this program, IMO.

We had 12 free throw attempts made 10. Michigan was 16 of 20. They played flawless defense never fouling us.

Barnes has the * on himself for his tournament record. I get it. It is an oddity. Yet….He delivered us SEC Tournament Championship this season. He yet again owned Cal/Kentucky our biggest rival 2 out of 3 games this season. He lead us to taking down Arizona, beating down blue blooded North Carolina, and knocking off Auburn.

Looking at all the programs looking for HC’s now. Having a HC like Barnes is a blessing. He gets it done against Kentucky. No other HC in college basketball or our conference beats Cal like Barnes does. As long as Barnes keeps that fact up Tennessee basketball will be at the top of the SEC every year. Barnes 10 Cal 7…..that is reason alone to be proud to have Rick Barnes as our HC.

Last edited:
Absolutely. And by the way, here's our refs from the Michigan game...

Larry Scirotto
Some guy on an Illinois message board wonders why they do comparatively poorly in games that Scirotto ref (10 games in a season):
Is Larry Scirotto our kryptonite?
Meanwhile, Scirotto has reffed one Kentucky game, ever, and that was against Michigan State:
Larry Scirotto - Officiated Kentucky Games

Did we draw a Big 10 ref in a game against Michigan?

Earl Walton
Gets tossed from Big East tourney, goes to ref Big 10 tourney instead:
Referee Earl Walton, barred from Big East Tournament, officiates in Big Ten quarterfinals
UConn fan board guy opinion, Walton is one of the best who "let players play"
Referees today

Joe Lindsay
Guess who was around to end our season against Purdue in 2019?
We got hosed by Ref Joe Lindsay
I don't think it was the refs that missed all those shots. We had plenty of chances but our guys couldn't put the ball in the cylinder. Their defense had a lot to do with that. Conversely, against Longwood, we couldn't miss.

Reactions: jtdavis
I don't think it was the refs that missed all those shots. We had plenty of chances but our guys couldn't put the ball in the cylinder. Their defense had a lot to do with that. Conversely, against Longwood, we couldn't miss.
I don’t disagree, we’ve got to make the shots and we didn’t. We went cold when facing a defense that would have picked up 20-30 personals with an SEC ref crew.

I’m the last 6+ minutes when the outside shooting went cold the coach either:

A) tells team to keep pumping away - they’re bound to land eventually

OR

B) change attack plan and go inside/drive

CRB seemed to stick with Plan A and they couldn’t connect.
Given the way the team had played all year I understand it but there was nothing to lose by mixing it up and putting combinations of Uros/BHH/Fulky in with JJJ, SV and KC to force the issue inside and mix it up.
Oh, well

I gave the OP a “like” because I believe with Barnes we have 3-5 more years of very good basketball with rosters filled with kids really easy to root for.

However, the idea that Arkansas is going to sink back is misguided. They have a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year and Musselman may be the best coach in the conference. As long as he is there, Arkansas is here to stay.

While emotions are still high and people vent (which they should), the bright side is that Barnes is likely to be top dog in the SEC for the next few years. There were a few surprising coaching changes that have really only created more distance between 3 schools in the SEC from the rest. The one school not making a change will drop off due to graduations. Regardless of the the current views of Barnes, the only knock or negative for us in the short term going forward will be performance in the NCAA tourney. It is no longer March in general as we got the monkey off our back winning the SEC tourney. Add in fact that we will be back in Nashville for a bit going forward, I can thoroughly say I am optimistic for Tennessee under Barnes for the next 2-4 years. I personally think Barnes has 3-5 seasons left before retiring. I also think that we are also set up with the current roster and recruiting classes to turn out another top 5-10 ranked team in preseason and likely be a top 2 team in the league next year.

SEC Changes for next year:
Florida lost White and hired no namer, up and comer
LSU canned Will Wade and prolly going back to the cellar
Georgia got White, but they are literally rock bottom and there is no overnight fix
MSU losing Howland
South Carolina canned Martin
Mizzou lost Cuonzo "Pat Forde" Martin
Arkansas is losing Notae, Lyke, and Umude
Hell, even Alabama is talking crazy about firing Nate Oats

With these coaching changes above, the SEC only got more top heavy with Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

The coaching changes in the SEC only make me more confident because there are only 3 legit coaches right now in the league with lofty expectations and that is Bruce, Cal, and Barnes. Musselman is fine and all, but they are literally going to lose a giant core of their roster and scoring this offseason.

Am I happy at the fact that we will likely turn out another 25 wins, top 10 ranking, but likely fold in March? No it sucks and is bittersweet. But i'm old enough to remember the days of black curtains in TBA, having the mindset that we need to win the conference tourney to have even a shot at the NCAAT, and our recruiting being in the gutter.

I expect a full amount of trolling and "Carrying water for Barnes" comments, but at the end of the day, we don't have to worry about struggling recruiting classes and being on the bubble. And for all the trolling comments, the cost of paying Barnes $5 million to keep things nationally relevant and a constant NCAAT team far outweighs going the cheap route to play the game of "lets see if we can find the next up and comer"...... There is no "Roy Williams to UNC" type hire that upgrades the coaching staff with the program in its current relevant standing. So any notion we should move on or "force a retirement" without any clear upgrade / national name hire should be tarred and feather'd and laugh out of the discussion.

I fully expect our record next year to be better than this year and for us to compete once again for regular season and tournament championship in the SEC. Like we do every year, we can cross the March Madness bridge when we come to it.
And where were exact was they going prior to Barnes?

Barnes did not miss a single three last night. Vescovi, ZZ and the rest could not hit the side of a barn last night from 3. It has nothing to do with coaching, Barnes is doing his job getting recruits and coaching them up.

We just went cold at a bad time. Earlier in the season we could weather the storm of a drought but it was too long last night.

Barnes is recruiting, developing, and coaching at a high level. We should continue to be excited about the future.

Reactions: cardvolfan
The improvement and consistency of BHH and the return of Olivier will sure up the glaring weaknesses of this team. If Chandler returns, next year's team has the talent to win it all.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Imo Barnes should have found a way to create space for HIS BEST SHOOTER to get shots. That is 100% on coaching....and a blunder that very well might have cost us the game. You draw up plays with set screens to CREATE those opportunities right? I don't see that as out of Barnes control.

That's why you have to build from inside. Strong post play usually don't have off shooting nights ... if one thing Barnes has to recruit a better inside post play .. to have both assets ...
I agree.. I wish Grant would have been on this team

Barnes gets no criticism on the defensive side of the ball last night?

I agree. Except for a time in the 2nd half, we were not able to slow them down like we have everyone else. With the usual great defense, we would have won that game.

Reactions: vols 30
The improvement and consistency of BHH and the return of Olivier will sure up the glaring weaknesses of this team. If Chandler returns, next year's team has the talent to win it all.

Consistency of BHH? And Chandler ain’t coming back. Move on from that folks.

Reactions: Lurker

VN Store

Back