How I wish Pippen Jr. was a Vol

He’s a great player. People who don’t get that, don’t get the game. Obviously young Pippen is not Jordan, but Stackhouse is deploying Jackson’s use of the idea that a player who can attract three defenders from the elbow in is going to cause fouling problems, free up other players to shoot threes, and score free throws. He makes a mediocre offensive team a good team. Last night was a great example. Over time, the accumulation of fouls make a defense confused about help and assignments. Pippen adjusts his game as the defense changes, and scoring efficiency goes up over time. When this works, Vandy can be an amazing 4th quarter team.
People who think that Men's college basketball play 4 quarters obviously "don't get the game"
Pippen is good, not remotely great.

People who think that Men's college basketball play 4 quarters obviously "don't get the game"
Pippen is good, not remotely great.

Coaches and analysts still break the game down in quarters. Fractions are your friend. Sorry for being conceptual. You’re obviously a literal guy. Water is wet.

Reactions: Lankykong
Coaches and analysts still break the game down in quarters. Fractions are your friend. Sorry for being conceptual. You’re obviously a literal guy. Water is wet.
I get what you're saying here....but I've never heard a single mens college coach or analyst break the current college game down in quarters.

You mean the game where Grant was also 10-15 from the field and a perfect 23-23 from the line? Yeah, I remember that game. He shot 66% to Pippen Jr’s 25% tonight. Remove the last name and no one is slobbering over Pippen Jr. as much as they do now.
You are correct... take name off his jersey and look @ his game stats....

He’s bush league. Jumps into defenders for cheap fouls. Vandy is his style.

Why do the trolls all have the fake fan crap in their screen names?
Don’t James Harden do this same exact thing when shooting? He has found a way to make it an art and has survived. Granted Pippen isn’t a Harden but his name alone will get him a chance.

Scottie Pippen Jr. is far from witnessing greatness. He’s a solid player. Nothing special. He won’t successfully draw the fouls professionally that he does in college.

He is 4-18 from the field tonight and 14-19 from FT.

Yep, scores most of his points at the FT line.

Reactions: kptvol1452
I have absolutely nothing against Scottie Pippen Jr. as a person. I just think he is only talked about as much as he is because of who his father is. He is a fine college player, but there is reason why he is seen as a mid-to-late 2nd-round draft pick. Some projections don’t even have him getting drafted.

His skill set does not translate well to the NBA.

Agreed! Another point to be made - Pippen Jr. didn't have the blue bloods - Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. - beating down his door when he was a Junior or Senior in high school. As a college player he is what I would call average at best. Everyone is talking about his offense; I look at his defense and I don't see much from his footwork or playing lanes.

NBA player, maybe after a lot of time working on his 3-point shot and defense in the G-League but not straight to the League from college.

Just my $0.02 . . .

GBO

I'm not going to bat for the kid as a future NBA star like his dad, who happens to be my favorite NBA player of all time, but you've presented a good deal of misinformation in order to make your point.

First, he's a career 35% shooter from 3. That isn't elite by any stretch, but even just this season, his worst statistically, he's shooting 33.5%, which is 10th in the SEC among players who attempt at least five 3s per game. He's a solid shooter, but his game is about getting to the paint and scoring at the rim or in the mid-range, and drawing contact.

Second, he's already been an all-SEC player twice and he's only a junior. He was all-SEC as a sophomore, and again this year. He was this year's preseason SEC POY for that matter. You painted a picture of some developmental player waiting to pay off until his final year when in reality, he is basically the Vanderbilt guard version of Grant Williams, who coincidentally had NBA questions around his size and how his game translated to the NBA.

Pippen Jr. may not find NBA success, but he definitely has outperformed his recruiting ranking and expectation level as a collegiate player.

Ok, I admitted he is a solid college player. Ok, cool. he may have outplayed his ranking. Still only a solid player. He doesn't shoot well enough from the 3 to be an NBA guard which is true. So no misinformation there..

He is no Grant Williams who was x2 SEC player of the year by the end of his junior year and off to be an NBA 1st round pick. Grant Williams was a post player too, so he was naturally going to draw fouls. Pippen is a PG. And yes, he is a developmental guy, because he is finally learning how to actually help his team win, not just accrue stats and free throws. He used to score when it didn't matter and his teammates were completely incompetent of doing anything. Now he is scoring with substance on a team that has more success.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Remember that game Grant had when he had like 26 free throw attempts vs Vandy?

That's the way the game goes sometimes
You remember that game when our TN teamshut your Vandy Team out from the three point line to break the streak?

Good times. I was laughing hysterically watching vandy Jack up mindless threes at the end simply to keep the streak alive.

Ok, I admitted he is a solid college player. Ok, cool. he may have outplayed his ranking. Still only a solid player. He doesn't shoot well enough from the 3 to be an NBA guard which is true. So no misinformation there..

He is no Grant Williams who was x2 SEC player of the year by the end of his junior year and off to be an NBA 1st round pick. Grant Williams was a post player too, so he was naturally going to draw fouls. Pippen is a PG. And yes, he is a developmental guy, because he is finally learning how to actually help his team win, not just accrue stats and free throws. He used to score when it didn't matter and his teammates were completely incompetent of doing anything. Now he is scoring with substance on a team that has more success.
You missed the mark on my Grant Williams comparison. It wasn't an attempt to compare their respective résumés in order to determine who was better. Just that they were two undervalued, underrecruited prospects who vastly outplayed their ranking.

My main point of contention was that you seemed to suggest that Pippen has had only a nominal impact on the league to this point and that he may develop into an all-conference player as a senior when in fact, he's a two-time all-SEC player as a junior, already, and was even the preseason SEC POY. You just seem to either be misinformed or vastly underselling his ability at this level. As I said, I'm not pounding the table for him as an NBA prospect, but he's a really good SEC player.

Reactions: pimo1

VN Store

Back