Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without googling can you even name 5 white WR coaches though?

I legit can't...I think the candidates we're interviewing are part of the majority, not the minority for this specific coaching position.

I can't name 5 wr coaches period. To be honest it really doesnt mean much who the wr coach is.

I mean, it’s not. We were literally told that they wanted a minority coach for DC. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’re doing the same here. As long as it’s a good coach I don’t care
I don't care what color we hire as long as it's not BECAUSE of color.

I don't care what color we hire as long as it's not BECAUSE of color.

Yeah, this is always where I've been. The ONLY potential name that came up during the last few coaching searches where I legit thought/believed that may be the case was Tony Elliott. I get he's been at Clemson but I just felt like he hadn't really done anything to be handed the keys to a SEC job for his first HC opportunity.

Then the way he went back/forth with Virginia before finally taking that gig...will be interested in how he pans out for them.

They lost like 9 transfers from last year's team, and several are playing big minutes for good teams. Sahvir Wheeler (top 100 recruit) starts at UK, KD Johnson (top 100 recruit) starts at Auburn, Toumani Camara starts at Dayton, Tye Fagan has started some games at Ole Miss, Justin Kier has contributed some at Arizona, Jaykwon Walton went Juco and signed with Mississippi State.

That team coming back would probably have a winning record, so something is going on with the culture there. That may be the reason why Crean is not back.
Yeah...that's nuts. That team was really quick, but they were just pure chaos most of the game...like a bunch of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

There are a couple of guys on that team I would love to pick up in the portal, but considering how bad/apathetic/discombobulated they were on defense, they may not be fits on a RB team..

Reactions: VolGee4
That was what I thought when we got Wade Houston…. I was shown that is not always the case. LOL Most wide receiver coaches seem to be black which I have no issue at all with….. Players need coaches they can relate too… if skin color helps… I’m all for it…. Just win, baby.
What are you talking about? Without Wade, we never get Allan Houston. He immediately boosted our recruiting. :)

March 2021 Football Scoop list of highest paid WR coaches:

1. Josh Gattis, Michigan -- $900,000*
2. Kasey Dunn, Oklahoma State -- $800,000*
3. Dameyune Craig, Texas A&M -- $700,000
4. Billy Gonzales, Florida -- $632,000+
5. Cale Gundy, Oklahoma -- $580,000+
6. Darrin Chiaverini, Colorado -- $550,000*
6. Cortez Hankton, Georgia -- $550,000+
6. Brian Hartline, Ohio State -- $550,000
9. Dennis Simmons, Oklahoma -- $510,000+
10. Matt Lubick, Nebraska -- $500,000*
11. Holmon Wiggins, Alabama -- $475,000
12. Justin Stepp, South Carolina -- $460,000
13. Andre Coleman, Texas -- $450,000
13. Ron Dugans, Florida State -- $450,000
13. Derrick Nix, Ole Miss -- $450,000

5 out of 15 are white. Billy Gonzales the only other non African American coach.

Without googling can you even name 5 white WR coaches though?

I legit can't...I think the candidates we're interviewing are part of the majority, not the minority for this specific coaching position.
I can't hardely name a single position coach of any position. No matter color. I have to do research on most any coaching candidate.

I do understand your sentiment, however.

I can't hardely name a single position coach of any position. No matter color. I have to do research on most any coaching candidate.

I do understand your sentiment, however.

Yeah, I shared last year's list of highest paid for that coaching position. I think with position coaches it varies, OL and QB for example seem to be majority white coaches.

Former players are also desirable hires for this reason as well. I'm sure the age of these candidates is also playing a role.
Unless you want band member Butch Jones as your coach, then any position coach is likely to have played the position in the past or a similar position on the same side of the ball.

It's no secret that, at the highest levels, the number of non-black WRs is very small.

It all seems quite logical through that lens.

March 2021 Football Scoop list of highest paid WR coaches:

1. Josh Gattis, Michigan -- $900,000*
2. Kasey Dunn, Oklahoma State -- $800,000*
3. Dameyune Craig, Texas A&M -- $700,000
4. Billy Gonzales, Florida -- $632,000+
5. Cale Gundy, Oklahoma -- $580,000+
6. Darrin Chiaverini, Colorado -- $550,000*
6. Cortez Hankton, Georgia -- $550,000+
6. Brian Hartline, Ohio State -- $550,000
9. Dennis Simmons, Oklahoma -- $510,000+
10. Matt Lubick, Nebraska -- $500,000*
11. Holmon Wiggins, Alabama -- $475,000
12. Justin Stepp, South Carolina -- $460,000
13. Andre Coleman, Texas -- $450,000
13. Ron Dugans, Florida State -- $450,000
13. Derrick Nix, Ole Miss -- $450,000

5 out of 15 are white. Billy Gonzales the only other non African American coach.

Florida now has an African American coach for wide receivers. Just for factual purposes, I looked it up: there are 4 white WR coaches in the SEC. Mizzou, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Mississippi State. The only name that I recognized was Steve Spurrier, Jr. at Mississippi State.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back