Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

Anybody that ever saw Kelly Jolly play on The Hill knew then and should know now she's a competitor. Coaching is different than being a player but being a competitor comes from within and doesn't go away.

she was playing for UT when I was in college at UT-CHatt 1994-98 (I went late in life,,,34-38 yrs old). I saw Kellie play several times during those years

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Got it. Thanks. Message boards lend themselves to such misunderstandings, Sorry for misreading you.
Yes , message boards can be a conundrum. I have found your posts to be measured and informative and it appears we agree on CKH. I like this board because it is so inclusive and there are so many folks who really understand basketball on here.

i'm not ready to declare Kellie a great coach now, mainly because she hasn't won anything yet. But she's been doing a very good job so far. Maybe one day she'll be great. LIke I said, there are very few great ones. I'm just happy now that she's making very good progress year over year.
Guess you didn’t think Dan Marino was a great quarterback, he never won a Super Bowl.

BTW, It was Jordan Walker who drew the assignment on #23, Amber Ramirez, in the 2nd half of the Arkansas game at TBA and did a great job of limiting her open looks. She did a great job of fighting through screens!

View attachment 434512
I just watched the replay of that game. Walker also made some big shots and a huge 3 pointer in the fourth quarter.

Last edited:
BTW, It was Jordan Walker who drew the assignment on #23, Amber Ramirez, in the 2nd half of the Arkansas game at TBA and did a great job of limiting her open looks. She did a great job of fighting through screens!

View attachment 434512

She did do a good job. But we also switched to where Key would be on the other side of the screens until Walker could catch back up so there was no daylight. That was a good adjustment.

Guess you didn’t think Dan Marino was a great quarterback, he never won a Super Bowl.

Marino won an MVP award, and he got to the Super Bowl. And he made all those records while he was playing. So, yeah, he won some things. I think Kellie's greatest accomplishments so far: 1) Took a mid-major team to the SS, and 2) Has the LV program headed in the right direction. But she has not won a P-5 conference championship or made the EE or FF yet.

I just watched the replay of that game. Walker also made a couple of huge 3 pointers in the fourth quarter.

She has a pretty shot and can score on the drive as well. She does many things well. I believe she can get better with her passing out front and deciding when it is appropriate to attack a double team head on. In any event, she's been a great addition.

Marino won an MVP award, and he got to the Super Bowl. And he made all those records while he was playing. So, yeah, he won some things. I think Kellie's greatest accomplishments so far: 1) Took a mid-major team to the SS, and 2) Has the LV program headed in the right direction. But she has not won a P-5 conference championship or made the EE or FF yet.
Kellie hasn’t been here very long, and the circumstances have been unusual, losing players for one reason or another, and Covid restrictions. She won the Missouri Valley Conference Championship, and Coach of the Year, and took a mid-major team to the Sweet Sixteen, an impressive accomplishment, and is one of only two people to take teams from four different schools to the NCAA Tournament, she’s won some things, not counting her three National Championships as a Tennessee player.

Not that she would have won a Championship in her first year here, but the 2020 NCAA Tournament was cancelled, so this year will be only her second opportunity to take our team to the NCAA Championship Tournament. Even a great Coach needs time to rebuild teams and win Championships.

Last edited:
Kellie is soft when it comes to a fellow LVFL....

Please consider donating, even if you can only afford to sacrifice one dollar, to the Kay Yow Fund. Seriously, even one dollar helps. Give as much as you can as often as is comfortable ... but please, do give at least a little something at least once. This is how we'll end the sadness of losing so many precious people way too soon.

Love you, Tasha. Love you, Nikki McCray-Penson -- girl, you've got this! Remembering you ALWAYS, Mellissa McCray-Dukes, Daedra "Night Train" Charles-Furlow, Mary Ostrowski. Thank you all. 🧡

Look at me y'all, I'm just like Pat!

VrZM.gif
At this point, Darth is giving me Kanye vibes. Your obsession with Kellie mirrors the obsession Kanye has with Kim K. It’s starting to get scary. Get help. Seriously.

Kellie hasn’t been here very long, and the circumstances have been unusual, losing players for one reason or another, and Covid restrictions. She won the Missouri Valley Conference Championship, and Coach of the Year, and took a mid-major team to the Elite Eight, an impressive accomplishment, and is one of only two people to take teams from four different schools to the NCAA Tournament, she’s won some things, not counting her three National Championships as a Tennessee player.

Not that she would have won a Championship in her first year here, but the 2020 NCAA Tournament was cancelled, so this year will be only her second opportunity to take our team to the NCAA Championship Tournament. Even a great Coach needs time to rebuild teams and win Championships.
She took South Missouri State to the Sweet 16.

Puckett and Striplin were both rated as 4 star recruits. Justine Pissott is a five star. Kaiya Wynn on paper is the best recruit of the bunch,. ranked as a top 10 guard prospect and a five star.

Kaiya Wynn

4 players you cite as 4 star or better. That's not even a starting five.

Look at Stanford, UConn, SC, they're loaded and it shows when we play them.

I think they should go find the #1 recruiter in Women's BB and pay her whatever it takes to get her to join the staff. Barnes uses his staff for primary recruiting, she could do the same.

Reactions: olddog
The greatest compliment a coach can get is,,"I believe you could take either team and win"
Stars are for galaxies.
Real coaches create their own stars

OK I was with you until the last line. I'll give you Carson Newman's 2022 basketball team and I will take the five players named first team AA at season's end. You can have any coach in America and I'll take Donnie Tyndall. I'll bet Tyndalll wins 10 out of 10 games. There are some things coaching just can't fix, like being short and slow (and no I didn't say our team was short and slow, I'm making a point).

As I recall, Samantha Williams was the lead recruiter for Louisville before getting the head coach job at EKU...I think that we're in pretty good hands.

"One of the nation's top coaches and elite recruiters, Samantha Williams is in her first season at Tennessee and in her 21st season in the college coaching ranks. Head coach Kellie Harper announced the addition of Williams to the Lady Vol staff on April 17, 2021."

4 players you cite as 4 star or better. That's not even a starting five.

Look at Stanford, UConn, SC, they're loaded and it shows when we play them.

I think they should go find the #1 recruiter in Women's BB and pay her whatever it takes to get her to join the staff. Barnes uses his staff for primary recruiting, she could do the same.

VN Store

Back