Potpourri

Hey, whatever happened to Margo? I really miss her game recaps.

Someone on BY said she still has a FB group going. Just wondering if she is okay. Her rants were priceless!

It wasn't just rants those came late in the CHW era. As a UConn fan I enjoyed her videos. She was knowledgeable, informed, often funny and a dedicated LV fan. She posted on YouTube before the UConn game.

Last edited:
Jack Crabb (Little Big Man) is almost as old as me now......Not sure where I placed my Botox....
c4f3e331f44453f014de3e82a370f71b.jpg

I did visit the "Little Big Horn Battlefield" on one of my cross country travel quests....I stopped there on reenactment day, where they (The Crows) have a little staged battle for the tourists.....I loved the hell out of it, but I'm a history nut and this was right in my wheel house...

I didn't go to see who was right or wrong on that hot day in June of 1876, but to see where two great cultures collided...To stand on last stand hill and know this is the exact spot that so many soldiers knew there was no help/relief coming for them is spiritual...

As their bullets ran out and the arrows and Indians kept coming closer and closer, it must have been beyond hell on earth..

This ranger was fantastic....

GT, agree. There have been a bunch of those times and hills in this great country’s past…the ones that held when they could deserve some speak, the rest do as well. Some great heroes in this country’s past, many got unnoticed.

I did visit the "Little Big Horn Battlefield" on one of my cross country travel quests....I stopped there on reenactment day, where they (The Crows) have a little staged battle for the tourists.....I loved the hell out of it, but I'm a history nut and this was right in my wheel house...

I didn't go to see who was right or wrong on that hot day in June of 1876, but to see where two great cultures collided...To stand on last stand hill and know this is the exact spot that so many soldiers knew there was no help/relief coming for them is spiritual...

As their bullets ran out and the arrows and Indians kept coming closer and closer, it must have been beyond hell on earth..

Thanks for the video, that is a period of history that has always distributed me. I had a hard time reading “Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee”, I would get, mad throw the book at the wall and it would be several days before picking it up again.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
When I was just a lad, I read this wonderful book by John Steinbeck called "Travels with Charley"....My mom gave me the book and said read this, it may help you from making the mistake of getting married too young.

She was right too...Seemed like every girl I dated wanted me to marry them, settle down and have a family....I had other plans....

Whenever I started thinking wrong things, like marriage, to get my mind right, I would pull out my copy of "Travels with Charley" and away I would go on some cross country quest.

Ty GT for the Steinbeck, one of my favs:

Steinbeck was stricken with cancer when he began that journey through America….he wanted to see middle America as well as all the coastal places he favored. He wanted to feel what America was, and he wrote so very well. Travels with Charley was his last work of note, and it is every bit of an American Classic. He is better remembered for other works like Grapes of Wrath, but travels with Charley gave you a chance to know the man behind the amazing literature.

Ty GT for the Steinbeck, one of my favs:

Steinbeck was stricken with cancer when he began that journey through America….he wanted to see middle America as well as all the coastal places he favored. He wanted to feel what America was, and he wrote so very well. Travels with Charley was his last work of note, and it is every bit of an American Classic. He is better remembered for other works like Grapes of Wrath, but travels with Charley gave you a chance to know the man behind the amazing literature.

He also had a very bad heart....His passing should be a day set aside for his remembrance.
He sure did love Charley....Time is a jet plane, it moves too fast.
Steinbeck.JPG

Been there a couple of times when I was stationed in Colorado. I agree about the park rangers. IMO there was no right or wrong just the inevitable. Small factual correction though. Not only a lot of arrows but I think the army was not only outnumbered but possibly outgunned.

Reactions: GameTime
So true Brassie... Many of the Indians were armed with Henry and Spenser repeating rifles, while the soldier command was armed with the Springfield single shot rifle...The soldiers big boar rifles who's main purpose was to keep the enemy at a greater distance than the repeating rifles provided....

At reenactment day I asked one of the older Crow Warriors, while on his break, where did the Cheyenne and Lakota carry extra ammunition for their repeating rifles? He said they had buffalo pouches for extra bullets, but often they just stuck extra ammunition under their balls, or up their ass as they rode their ponies...

He said the bigger their balls the more ammo they could carry...He went on to say on that day they "had really big balls", while the soldier command's balls kept getting smaller and smaller...

Of all the literature I had read, or heard about the battle and the Indian Wars, I had never heard that before, but it does make sense....

I tipped the guy 20 bucks for that ace of information....
00-promo-big-horn.jpg

Comanche, the lone survivor of the 7th Calvary Little Big Horn Battle...He was the mount of Captain Miles Keogh, the fighting Irishman....
B9321375020Z.1_20160316211514_000_GIADPGSEN.1-0.jpg

He rests today in a glass case in Lawrence Kansas...The things that horse saw.
ZS5qcGc.jpg

Johnny Horton sings the ballad of Comanche...

Creek, when the Crow Warrior told me that I was stunned.....There were a couple of other guys standing there with me when I asked what I thought was just a basic battlefield question....Everybody's mouth sort of just dropped open...

He said the Cheyenne and Lakota were really "wild Indians", while the Crow Warriors were the scouts for the 7th Calvary, and other Calvary units as well....

The Indians called the battle of "The Little Big Horn", the battle of "Greasy Grass Ridge"...You may be on to something with your greasy buffalo gizzards theory.....
ggrbb02055.jpg

When I read the bullets and balls thing I thought well the guy is having a little fun with GT. Later I though well if they didn't have pockets that may have been the handiest place to carry them.

VN Store

Back