2022 Target List

I think the talent is a lot better than its being coached which is where the disappointment comes from.
Looking at Barnes tenure so far this is year 7, so far he is 2/6 as far as meeting or exceeding expectations, which isnt good. This team still has a chance to make this season a success, but based on Barnes coaching history we know it wont be.
Differing opinions are ok. Especially when they expose ignorance. Thanks.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
He has 2 of the 4 highest season win totals in over 100 years of the history of TN basketball. He held the #1 national ranking for 4x as long as all previous coaches combined. He has one of just 8 Sweet 16s in program history. Selection Sundays are no longer hoping to get in the field. Good grief. 2 of the 6 prior years were putting out the dumpster fire and 2 others were disrupted by COVID. The program is currently in as good of shape as it has EVER been before. And still rising.
How's he done in March? When it actually matters?

We have Barnes. He can improve defense, but I dont expect him to make guys good on offense. Next years team won score.
Except all three of those guys improved, offensively, as well. And Kevin Punter. And Admiral Schofield. And Armani Moore.

Your anti-Barnes crusade is insanely stupid. Not just because it's a differing opinion. It is simply based in fantasy and half-truths. He isn't perfect, but you embellish every legitimate complaint to the point that no one can take you seriously because you simply aren't fair about any criticism you choose to rant about.

But you do you, boss. We're all here for the show.

How's he done in March? When it actually matters?

Did you miss the part about having one of TN’s 8 Sweet 16s? TN gets a Sweet 16 once about every 8 years if they are lucky. Barnes also has 2 of TN’s 5 SECT final day appearances since the tournament was reinstated in 1979. They play those games in March.

One year he was 6-3 in March. He was 4-2 in another March.

The program has NEVER been in better shape than it is right now and anybody that can’t see that is either a troll, hater, or fool.

Did you miss the part about having one of TN’s 8 Sweet 16s? TN gets a Sweet 16 once about every 8 years if they are lucky. Barnes also has 2 of TN’s 5 SECT final day appearances since the tournament was reinstated in 1979. They play those games in March.

The program has NEVER been in better shape than it is right now and anybody that can’t see that is either a troll, hater, or fool.
Barnes is a victim of his own success to an extent. I was at UT during the Wade Houston years so I know how low it can go. But I think if you take off your orange blinders and look at next years roster especially without Chandler, it is not a top 15 team IMO. The inside core of BHH, Aidoo, ON, Plav and Tamba are not scaring anyone. Maybe someone takes a big step forward but that is not a guarantee. This years team will probably finish from 3 to 5 in the SEC this year. I don’t think next years team will be any better. Not bad but I want to see the Vols at the top of the standings.

Barnes is a victim of his own success to an extent. I was at UT during the Wade Houston years so I know how low it can go. But I think if you take off your orange blinders and look at next years roster especially without Chandler, it is not a top 15 team IMO. The inside core of BHH, Aidoo, ON, Plav and Tamba are not scaring anyone. Maybe someone takes a big step forward but that is not a guarantee. This years team will probably finish from 3 to 5 in the SEC this year. I don’t think next years team will be any better. Not bad but I want to see the Vols at the top of the standings.

The program is in great shape. Mears made consecutive NCAATs once (but it was a smaller field and for half of his tenure the SEC was limited to only one team). Green made 4 consecutive NCAATs (jump started by what KO left for him). Devoe made 5 consecutive tournaments which was very good with the smaller field. But then he went cold by not adapting to rule changes and failing to elevate his recruiting. Bruce made all 6 but started with a great roster and the program was a dumpster fire when he was blown out while Michigan blew out TN by 30. UL blew out his 4 loss (31-5) team by 19. This will be 4 straight for Barnes and I’m not going to bet against that streak continuing for several more years.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
BHH & Adoo were both 5 star recruits and will be in their second year in the program. Uros & ON will be in their 3rd and 4th years. If JJJ & SV return I expect us to be slightly better next season. JMO

I am also one of those who feel like next years team will meet or exceed this years team.

We lose Fulky and maybe KC. The improved maturity and experience of Aidoo, BHH, and ON will offset the loss of these two, especially
with the continued emergence of ZZ and recruit BJ.

We will finally see a full season of 5* JJJ's improvement alongside Vescovi (who plays as well as a 5*) and two 5 * post player.

our starting five should show four 5* caliber players along with ZZ. That coupled with ON, Mashack, Powell, Edwards, Tamba, Dijounde (?) and Plav looks like a winning combination.

So it's good enough for top-8 talent, this year, but take away Kennedy Chandler and an extremely neutered version of John Fulkerson, add in BJ Edwards, and we aren't even in the mix for the SEC, next year?

You sure have some wild swings of opinion.
We need to just bookmark this page so next year when @mr.checkerboards is trying to say how he said this was a Top 10 team all along we’ve got it handy showing where he was actually saying the opposite lol.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Your negativity is absolutely ridiculous. If you hate Barnes and Tennessee Basketball so much, why do you even bother watching the games and posting non-stop about it? Go do something you actually enjoy rather than making everyone else miserable.
Whoever you are talking to doesn't make me miserable. I haven't seen one word he has posted. I would highly recommend you adopt my strategy. Wasting time and energy reasoning with someone unreasonable is a futile life endeavor.

Yawn. Hes hit his ceiling and will never raise the bar. Get better or get left and hes getting left.

Yawn. Hes hit his ceiling and will never raise the bar. Get better or get left and hes getting left.

He has already raised the ceiling on multiple measures of TN’s history. Actual fans are anticipating to see more of that. Trolls, haters, and fools can’t acknowledge the growing level of success.

He has already raised the ceiling on multiple measures of TN’s history. Actual fans are anticipating to see more of that. Trolls, haters, and fools can’t acknowledge the growing level of success.
Name calling how mature.
But nope all he's done is hit his own ceiling. Hes taken it as far as it will go we would be better off getting off this train than riding it off a cliff with him

Can’t take someone seriously who thinks we’d be better off with Steve Forbes as the HC

Not saying we’d be better off, but Forbes is a really good coach. It’s not ludicrous to think he’d do well here
This. I thought he'd do marginally well at Wake, but he's been even better than I believed he'd be. A lot of posters here thought he was a fool to take that job, but I thought it was a good move for him. Not because I thought he'd have his team in 2nd place, but because I thought he just had to not be terrible. Get Wake headed in the right direction and in three years, parlay that into a job that gave you a greater chance of success. He is benefiting from a very down ACC and taking advantage.

I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Fulky hasn't contributed much all year, and yes losing KC is big, but you return literally everyone else off of a Top-4 (maybe higher) SEC finish. I can't imagine how good Santi and James could get after another year elevating their game.

The 3 teams you listed are going to lose way more than we will. Arkansas has 5 seniors on their roster, and three of those are their biggest contributors (Stanley Umude, Chris Lykes, J.D. Notae). Kentucky will lose a ton of pieces to the draft. Auburn is going to lose Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler, possibly Allen Flannigan, and two senior role-players.

We would very likely be the favorite in the pre-season next year if we were to only lose KC, and at worst 2nd or 3rd pre-season in the SEC.
It’s interesting that I don’t see anyone thinking about the possibility of Vescovi leaving. He could easily decide he’s done with college ball and ready to start his overseas career. Maybe if I keep scrolling I’ll see someone mention it but I haven’t yet. I hope he doesn’t leave but I do think it’s possible. I’d put it as high as a 25% chance.

Reactions: walkenvol
This. I thought he'd do marginally well at Wake, but he's been even better than I believed he'd be. A lot of posters here thought he was a fool to take that job, but I thought it was a good move for him. Not because I thought he'd have his team in 2nd place, but because I thought he just had to not be terrible. Get Wake headed in the right direction and in three years, parlay that into a job that gave you a greater chance of success. He is benefiting from a very down ACC and taking advantage.
I was among those who thought he should wait for a better opportunity, but I certainly didn’t foresee the ACC being this bad. He’s done a great job regardless

VN Store

Back