2022 Target List

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if Barnes would prefer to keep him off-ball or not. I would assume, barring any unforeseen circumstances, next year's starting rotation will be:

ZZ
Vescovi
James
ON
Plavsic (unless we get a transfer big)

I would prefer Uros be a role player, so I am hoping we can find someone in the transfer market to play the post.
That's a pretty solid guess, but I think there is a chance Aidoo, with another offseason, can take that spot at the 5.

And I think we likely look to add a post in the transfer market. No one of note is setting out there, right now, so any guess as to who that would be is just that, a guess. Two names I've mentioned that may be possibilities are PJ Hall (if Brownell is canned) and Graham Ike from Wyoming (if he decides to make a move to a high major.

That's a pretty solid guess, but I think there is a chance Aidoo, with another offseason, can take that spot at the 5.

And I think we likely look to add a post in the transfer market. No one of note is setting out there, right now, so any guess as to who that would be is just that, a guess. Two names I've mentioned that may be possibilities are PJ Hall (if Brownell is canned) and Graham Ike from Wyoming (if he decides to make a move to a high major.

Aidoo was my other guess as well for the 5, but figured the safer bet knowing Barnes tendencies was to go with the experience. Ideally, I’d love to see Aidoo make a big stride this off-season and I’d love to see the same from BHH. It would solve a lot of our problems.

Would think Mutombo if Ewing is out would be another name to keep in mind.

As for next year, it will be fascinating to see how this year closes from a lineup standpoint and does that impact next year. What I’m saying is, small ball is our best lineup this year and Rick seems to be going to it more and more and almost exclusively to close games. Does that continue to be the theme to finish this year, should be imo but we will see. If that is the case does Barnes look to go small next year then? If we assume Chandler leaves (still not a given)…

Zeigler/Edwards
Vescovi/Bailey
Powell/Mashack/Diboundje
James/BHH
Nkahmoua/Aidoo/Plav/Tamba

sign me up.

Less than 6ppg/4rpg but 7’2”. Also Georgetown isn’t playing up and down the court basketball. Mutombo, BHH, Aidoo, Uros, and Tamba would be a formidable front line.
Yea, you probably don’t need another true old school 5 with Tamba having all his eligibility left, BHH & even Aidoo possibly could play 4 in a big lineup…but wouldn’t be my hope.

ORN, Uros, BHH and Aidoo all likely seeing some time at the 5. Then throw in a transfer? Feels like a case where someone would be shown the door, but Barnes does seem to be pretty loyal to his guys. If Aidoo and/or BHH looks like they could be solid contributors next year, feels like a position we could stay put in? Just like coming into this season, are we going to lure a dominant big who is going to potentially have to share that much time?

Last edited:
ORN, Uros, BHH and Aidoo all likely seeing some time at the 5. Then throw in a transfer? Feels like a case where someone would be shown the door, but Barnes does seem to be pretty loyal to his guys. If Aidoo and/or BHH looks like they could be solid contributors next year, feels like a position we could stay put in? Just like coming into this season, are we going to lure a dominant big who is going to potentially have to share that much time?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we don't pick up a transfer this off-season and role with what we have. As you said, there are a lot of mouths to feed on this team (both guards and post players) and it seems like someone is going to be unhappy with their playing time regardless.

I still think Bailey leaves after this season...

He's down to 11.5 mpg (was seeing 24.8 mpg last year) and if everyone except KC returns where is he going to see minutes? He'd also be entering his 6th year next year still not sure if he will count towards the limit or not. Unless the limit is raised to 15 I could see us only adding Edwards next year.

Based off that lineup I laid out above we are full at 13, now it’s quite possible/probable Bailey leaves which would open up a spot, but damn that’s a pretty darn good looking 12 imo. I don’t see a glaring weakness, I would probably just look around at best available/fit.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we don't pick up a transfer this off-season and role with what we have. As you said, there are a lot of mouths to feed on this team (both guards and post players) and it seems like someone is going to be unhappy with their playing time regardless.
Yea I could see them holding the open spot vacated by a Bailey departure if that were to happen, don’t think they’d just take someone to take them, and don’t see a glaring weakness. 2023 looks like you’re having some headway with guys so extra spot may not be bad thing, or if you can get an impact transfer with a few years of eligibility.

He's down to 11.5 mpg (was seeing 24.8 mpg last year) and if everyone except KC returns where is he going to see minutes? He'd also be entering his 6th year next year still not sure if he will count towards the limit or not. Unless the limit is raised to 15 I could see us only adding Edwards next year.
Limit is not being raised and Bailey will count, Chandler departure would leave room for Bailey but like you said not sure he’d wanna stay. Also, guys aren’t required to use that extra year, he will have graduated and may just be ready to “start life”.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
On scholarship right now (13):
Forwards- Aidoo, BHH, Olivier, Tamba, Uros

Guards- KC, Q, ZZ, Bailey, Mashack, Powell, Santi, James

Edwards incoming, so KC leaving early is already accounted for. So Bailey would be the most likely departure IMO.

Q/Tamba/Aidoo/Mashack/ZZ all came in expecting limited PT this year to develop so I don't think any of them are unhappy.
Powell just used his free transfer and he's getting good minutes and will only get more as he gets more comfortable I think.
Santi/James/Uros/Olivier all will be entering their Senior seasons none of them are leaving for another college. Small chance Santi/James could leave if they start showing up in draft mocks but unlikely.
So really BHH is the wild card/unknown. With him reclassifying you'd seem to think he was prepared to play less minutes, cause if he wanted tons of PT he could have stayed in HS and been a top 5 rated guy coming out. But he wanted to get to college a year sooner and picked us, feels like he's willing to take an extra season to develop...but free transfer and if he went somewhere that featured him so he could rack up stats he may go that route...no clue really.

So potential next year on scholarship (13 if Bailey/BHH both stay put):

Forwards- Aidoo, Olivier, Tamba, Uros, BHH
Guards- ZZ, Q, Santi, James, Powell, Mashack, Edwards, Bailey

I'd be happy with that if I'm honest, but if we lose BHH and/or Bailey then I could see us going to the portal. But like bTo said I think they'd be selective, cause you're looking at needing a large class if Uros, Olivier, Santi, James all opt not to stay past their Senior seasons. So if spots open up I expect multi year transfers to be the desire, not 1 year grad transfers.

As for next year, it will be fascinating to see how this year closes from a lineup standpoint and does that impact next year. What I’m saying is, small ball is our best lineup this year and Rick seems to be going to it more and more and almost exclusively to close games. Does that continue to be the theme to finish this year, should be imo but we will see. If that is the case does Barnes look to go small next year then? If we assume Chandler leaves (still not a given)…

Zeigler/Edwards
Vescovi/Bailey
Powell/Mashack/Diboundje
James/BHH
Nkahmoua/Aidoo/Plav/Tamba

sign me up.
Don't confuse me with checkerboards but that lineup doesn't make me think we will be competing for SEC championship or NCAA run. I see a lot of nice pieces but not a great talent to help us compete with the upper echelon teams (Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas) unless we see some of those guys really up their games. For that lineup to compete with the best Powell, BHH and Aidoo will need to take a big step imo. Go Vols.

If JJJ leaves then maybe he stays? I just don’t get what his deal is. Dumbfounding. I expected him to be a solid contributor this year. Between he and Fulky those were two pieces I expected so much more out of. I’m pleasantly surprised where we are without them. ZZ is huge, SV got much better. JJJ picking things up, and we’ve kind of pieced together a somewhat serviceable frontcourt.

If JJJ leaves then maybe he stays? I just don’t get what his deal is. Dumbfounding. I expected him to be a solid contributor this year. Between he and Fulky those were two pieces I expected so much more out of. I’m pleasantly surprised where we are without them. ZZ is huge, SV got much better. JJJ picking things up, and we’ve kind of pieced together a somewhat serviceable frontcourt.

Yeah, it's been a bit of a surprise. But I expected Bowden to elevate his last year here and that didn't happen either.

We've been lucky that Santi & Olivier elevated, ZZ has been a huge surprise/gem, and KC is as good as advertised. Cause Bailey and Fulky both went from being 3rd/4th in scoring with around 10 a game last year to neither scoring more than 8 a game.

Yeah, it's been a bit of a surprise. But I expected Bowden to elevate his last year here and that didn't happen either.

We've been lucky that Santi & Olivier elevated, ZZ has been a huge surprise/gem, and KC is as good as advertised. Cause Bailey and Fulky both went from being 3rd/4th in scoring with around 10 a game last year to neither scoring more than 8 a game.
The 2 players he comp'd closest to last year in their junior year were Jordan Sibert and Andrew Jones, both were/are significant contributors in their senior season. I'd have at least expected him to be solid role player, but he can't even find the floor.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Don't confuse me with checkerboards but that lineup doesn't make me think we will be competing for SEC championship or NCAA run. I see a lot of nice pieces but not a great talent to help us compete with the upper echelon teams (Kentucky, Auburn, Arkansas) unless we see some of those guys really up their games. For that lineup to compete with the best Powell, BHH and Aidoo will need to take a big step imo. Go Vols.

I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Fulky hasn't contributed much all year, and yes losing KC is big, but you return literally everyone else off of a Top-4 (maybe higher) SEC finish. I can't imagine how good Santi and James could get after another year elevating their game.

The 3 teams you listed are going to lose way more than we will. Arkansas has 5 seniors on their roster, and three of those are their biggest contributors (Stanley Umude, Chris Lykes, J.D. Notae). Kentucky will lose a ton of pieces to the draft. Auburn is going to lose Jabari Smith and Walker Kessler, possibly Allen Flannigan, and two senior role-players.

We would very likely be the favorite in the pre-season next year if we were to only lose KC, and at worst 2nd or 3rd pre-season in the SEC.

Last edited:
Huh? So a Top 10-15 team that loses essentially 1 inpact player and returns everyone else you’re down on??? And yea, I would expect most of the younger returners to at lease be somewhat improved, and then adding Edwards to the mix too. Depending on how this year finishes that is a Top 15-20 at worst team preseason imo.

Santi can play point to if he really had to (like BJ isn’t ready ti play), but even then I’d think ZZ should be able to handle as many minutes as we throw at him.

The biggest X factor is if JJJ plays himself into a draft position. Those minutes would get eaten up mostly by Powell and ORN/BHH which doesn’t scare me at all. And doesn’t put us in a situation of relying on the development of Q/Mashack. But who could still carve out some time. On paper that lineup probably isn’t going to make us preseason SEC favorites. But we’ll be competitive. Even with just normal improvement from the younger guys. That’s basically worse case scenario.

If JJJ comes back and Edwards is capable of spelling ZZ, we’re probably going to be in the top of the SEC again

Agreed, it’s projecting quite a bit, but I’d argue this is the best shape the program has been in under Barnes’ tenure.

Looking at a top 5ish ncaa seed this year, setting up to return majority of your contributors next year, seem to have a large/talented freshman class with multiple 4 year guys, and in on some big names for the next class.

Stability and a bright future are nice to have on rocky too.

Reactions: Lankykong
That was English. He coached under Tad Boyle before coming to Knoxville.
On BJ Edwards
Jerry MeyerDIRECTOR OF BASKETBALL SCOUTING
PROJECTION
Power-5 Starter

Possesses good size for a point guard. Plays low to the ground and has an overall physical game. Not a high riser as a leaper but gets off the floor quickly and with power. Has functional athleticism and seeks out contact. Would rather penetrate but is a solid to good shooter when he does shoot from deep. Can attack going either direction and thrives off quick changes of direction and crafty changes of pace. Shoots the pull up jumper well and has a nifty floater and a scoop lay up. Is a very composed ball handler who controls his pace. Sees the court and is a quality distributer. Rebounds his position at a high level and is a tough defender who can guard multiple positions.
I’m honestly surprised bigger schools didn’t go after him harder. I guess they always thought he was TN bound.

VN Store

Back