Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who your QB is and how he executes matters though... the Rams have been proving it for the last few years up to now, and really the Titans proved it this year
The team you have around you matters, too. Peyton and the Colts years of having horrible defenses proved that. TB played on teams that were good on both sides of the ball. He wasn't trying to carry the entire team by himself.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
If longevity/ rings is all we accounted for when arguing goat status then players like Duncan, Kareem, Russell should have more of an argument.
No one considers Brett Favre the goat. It isn't just about longevity. Dude was a top 5 QB in the league from his second season in the league to the time he qualified for AARP lol. Tim Duncan can make no such case.

That's like making the argument that Jordan ain't the GOAT.

I get it most on this board hates him because he was UT's favorite son's arch nemesis, but takes like "Brady is Trash" are laughable.
I didn't say he was trash, but he's not the GOAT. There have been better QBs.

Reactions: VolNash17
The team you have around you matters, too. Peyton and the Colts years of having horrible defenses proved that. TB played on teams that were good on both sides of the ball. He wasn't trying to carry the entire team by himself.
How many 4th quarter game winning drives did the man have?
To answer my own question it was 53 tied for 2nd with Drew Brees.... 1 short of the most all-time which belongs to Peyton. TB played on great teams but you still have to be good to great to beat other great teams to win SB's
Edit: and regardless of the skill you think he does or does not have, he's a heck of competitor to do it at a high level for 22 years

Last edited:
How many 4th quarter game winning drives did the man have?
To answer my own question it was 53 tied for 2nd with Drew Brees.... 1 short of the most all-time which belongs to Peyton. TB played on great teams but you still have to be good to great to beat other great teams to win SB's
Read my posts. I didn't say he was trash. I said he wasn't the GOAT. He's a good QB. ONE of the best, but not THE best. He's not the GOAT.

Reactions: VolNash17
No one considers Brett Favre the goat. It isn't just about longevity. Dude was a top 5 QB in the league from his second season in the league to the time he qualified for AARP lol. Tim Duncan can make no such case.

Duncan was a top 3 PF for 20 years in the best PF era, ever. Won a title in 3 different decades. Won finals MVP in his second season.

Also, and this applies to Peyton and the new crop of QBs as well, the league has changed drastically to become offense friendly. The older QBs had it a lot tougher than today's QBs. They could get mugged by the defense. Their WRs could get mugged by the defense. All those rules have been changed to make offense easier than it used to be. In lots of ways, the defense can no longer play defense.

I made that argument for a long time... but he also has a ring with the Bucs, let's not pretend like he owes all his success to Belichick anymore because we can't. For the record I'm the a HUGE Peyton fan just like the rest of Vol Nation
He did sort of hand pick the Bucs and got several of his buddies to join the team…. No guarantee that you can win it but it was set up for him to have a really good chance.

Baron was going to hit the open market. Other teams were excited. Obviously our side was willing to do what needed to be done to keep him around. He's still a Vol. Doesn't that tell you that the evaluators and money guys think there's more to him than posters on VN think?

Baron made a move and it worked for him. This is the age of player leverage. Some kids don't have it and they are screwing themselves. Some realize when they have it and they make a move that works. He is playing the system the way that it is set up to play now, and he made it work for him.

"Oh but he's terrible!" - Ok, so all the more reason for him to get whatever he can now, if he's not going to have a long career...

"300k is too much money!" - This is all brand new. We don't know what is too much, we don't know what is too little. Like all things, the market will correct itself, or outside influences will correct the market for everyone (as is tradition). The bigger story here is that we're throwing around 300k.

"We should have let him walk! I don't negotiate with terrorists!" - Sir, this is football.

When there's a cap on everyone, and the Bamas and Georgias are right back to sliding money under the table above whatever the cap is, you'll be begging for us to be able to pay whatever we want.

good post--- but now with kids getting paid like this, there's no excuses and the situation should be different---- you're getting paid, so you better F'n bring it every play, every series, every game... should be a clause in some of these NIL contracts in terms of performance/return on investment...

Tyler runs a 4.76 40 which by comparison TJ Watt the best edge rusher in the NFL runs 4.69…. I don’t think Tyler is agile/explosive enough off the edge to be a dominant edge rusher….They are planning to move him inside where he can fill the Tremblay, Butler type of role…. His skills should match up with that position.
SDE where he’s plenty fast/explosive.

Read my posts. I didn't say he was trash. I said he wasn't the GOAT. He's a good QB. ONE of the best, but not THE best. He's not the GOAT.
I'm with you, other posters (Trippie) called him trash, but if he's not the GOAT then who is?

7 Superbowls can be "A" reason that you argue in Brady's favor, but it can not be "THE" reason you argue his greatness. Superbowl victories are a team accomplishment. More often than not, the better team wins the superbowl (often times in spite of the quarterback's performance).

If you're going to count all the playoff victories and superbowl wins as an individual achievement, then you should factor in the quarterback's contribution to those victories. If you do that and look at the numbers, you'll quickly find that Brady's quarterback rating in the playoffs was worse than his regular season rating (which has always been used as a knock against Peyton). You'll find that Brady in the playoffs (thought of as Mr. Clutch in the playoffs) is only 3 QBR points ahead of Peyton in the playoffs (reputation for being a choke artist in the playoffs). If you look at Joe Montana's average QBR in the playoffs, it was actually HIGHER than his regular season QBR. And his playoff QBR is TWENTY points higher than Brady. Montana's contributions to his playoff victories are greater and more impactful than were Brady's.

Summary, 7 SBs can't be the only criteria you judge by. Don't shout "SEVEN SUPERBOWLS" and then flip the card table over and walk out thinking you won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back