Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have one that I necessarily consider the GOAT. Of course, my heart wants to say Peyton, but in trying to be fair, I have to say "I don't know", but I truly don't think it's Brady. TB was blessed with longevity and playing on good teams. He's a great (just threw up in my mouth a little) player. But I don't think he's the GOAT.
Agree with the throwing up part.....

Reactions: Orange.
@Weezer agree with dividing it (goat) into different eras.............

Assuming we don't do that, then who do you personally think is the greatest QB ever?
Leaning towards Montana here, tougher Era, Stats were better in the post season compared to his regular season, I think I saw a stat the other day that he never threw a pick in a SB, and was undefeated in his SB appearances

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I think Peyton (pre neck injury) was a better QB than Tom Brady. I've never broken the stats down by season to see if that weighs out, but I think it would. SB rings are a TEAM accomplishment.
Their stats are eerily similar, except Brady had better postseason stats.

The one thing Brady had for him that was so impressive is the Patriots never loaded up on offense for him. Outside of grabbing Moss in a trade, they pretty much just developed whatever they could around Brady. The Colts actually did a good job of giving Peyton multiple first round picks in skill players.

The fact that Brady could put equal or slightly better stats, but with less support offensively always impressed me.

But I can't help but feel PM is right there with him. If not for a few postseason games separating them. I still feel it's pretty close and could have gone with PM before Brady changed entire franchises after 40...and still won another. That was the "over the top moment" imo.

Very close either way.

Reactions: BucVol98
Leaning towards Montana here, tougher Era, Stats were better in the post season compared to his regular season, I think I saw a stat the other day that he never threw a pick in a SB, and was undefeated in his SB appearances
Montana is absolutely in the conversation, but he was also fortunate enough to be throwing to Jerry Rice.

I think it would be hard to argue that Rice isn't the GOAT when it comes to WRs.

The one thing Brady had for him that was so impressive is the Patriots never loaded up on offense for him. Outside of grabbing Moss in a trade, they pretty much just developed whatever they could around Brady. The Colts actually did a good job of giving Peyton multiple first round picks in skill players.

The fact that Brady could put equal or slightly better stats, but with less support offensively always impressed me.

But I can't help but feel PM is right there with him. If not for a few postseason games separating them. I still feel it's pretty close and could have gone with PM before Brady changed entire franchises after 40...and still won another. That was the "over the top moment" imo.

Very close either way.
When comparing stats, did you do career or pre neck injury for Peyton? Peyton as a QB changed drastically IMO after that neck injury.

Yeah he just threw for NFL records in yards and TDs on the Broncos STACKED SB team.... lol
And honestly, it was those defenses that won those SBs IMO. I love Peyton, but without those defenses, they don't win. Much like TB was always balanced by having good defenses.

MANY other things I can point to...but, this has ALWAYS told me all I need to know. Brady NEVER carried an entire franchise, an entire city, on his back the way Manning did...no QB did. This stat right here makes it even laughable whenever debating Manning and Brady.

Also, whenever people talk about how the game has changed, becoming more offensive, QB friendly...who do all you Brady lovers think started that?

I'm not gonna argue all day over who the GOAT is. Three quarters of you Vol "fans" who argue Brady, are the same "fans" that defend Bama and UGA and everybody else to the death, at UT's expense. IMG_5670.jpg

Last edited:
MANY other things I can point to...but, this has ALWAYS told me all I need to know. Brady NEVER carried an entire franchise, an entire city, on his back the way Manning did...no QB did. This stat right here makes it even laughable whenever debating Manning and Brady.

Also, whenever people talk about how the game has changed, becoming more offensive, QB friendly...who do all you Brady lovers think started that?

I'm not gonna argue all day over who the GOAT is. Three quarters of you Vol "fans" who argue Brady, are the same "fans" that defend Bama and UGA and everybody else to death, at UT's expense. View attachment 431930
I still remember the fumble that wasn't. Led to TB's first SB. Tuck rule my ass.

I'm not gonna argue all day over who the GOAT is. Three quarters of you Vol "fans" who argue Brady, are the same "fans" that defend Bama and UGA and everybody else to death, at UT's expense. View attachment 431930
Good stat and noted

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I mean it did, but it didn't hurt his stats any other than the year he missed because of it
Meh. Peyton was an intelligent QB. He adjusted his game to compensate, but he wasn't the same player. That neck injury cost him arm strength. I think he could have done a lot more had that injury not occurred.

Coming up with an unquestioned GOAT in sports is almost impossible. People use different criteria and context to define who the greatest is.

The only unquestioned greatest I can think of in sports is Secretariat.
Agreed. Especially on the Secretariat part.

Possible candidate would be Aleksandr Karelin of Russia. He won 35 gold medals in professional Greco-Roman wrestling competitions from 1987 to 2000. 3 of which were Olympic golds. He lost one match in 1987 (0-1) when he was 20. Then he went undefeated for 13 years, not even allowing a point to be scored on him for 6 years, before losing 1-0 to Rulon Gardner in Sydney. His lone silver medal. He was considered unbeatable up to that point.

I think it's easier to pick out greats in individual sports and harder in team sports. There will always be arguments for and against Jordan/LeBron/Bryant and Pele/Ronaldo/Messi/Maradona and Peyton/Brady/Brees/Montana etc.. those arguments will always involve "well look at the teams they had and supporting cast."

Very close either way.

Brady never had an offense (until the Bucs) that was completely loaded with superstar talent. But that offensive scheme always just worked. Brady hardly ever got pressured and could stand back and always had one or two completely wide open guys to throw to. He hardly ever had to make an exceptionally well located pass to keep the chains moving. Just drop back, count to 5 and throw to the guy waving his arms around with nobody within 10 yards of him. Now I don't think that should be a knock against him. It isn't his fault that he had exceptional protection and guys running wide open in the secondary, but he never really had to stress too much.

Also, while he never had a ton of superstar weapons to throw to, I'd bet the average talent rating of the offense as a unit was always pretty high. It isn't like he was playing with a bunch of bums out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back