Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 84 - (19/20) Kentucky 58

Heh! "Something of." Mmm, that's when you know things are really going well - when folks on the forums get all charitable and gracious and polite and stuff. :)
Sir Jim is always gracious and polite. There have been several posters (@volnationnj @therealitytheory for example) on here that have given very appropriate responses, perhaps not particularly gracious. No one on this site is precognizant, and I doubt few, if any, care as to the original poster’s self proclaimed profession. He of all people should realize what he is now demanding to be told is impossible to know; I think the poster would be wise if he took his own advice. @CannonVol80

Dirt_Ball's post-game analysis:

1) Keyen Gren missed two FT's. Focus is hard for some........
2) Horston didn't have a double double and had four turnovers.
3) Ky shot 44% FG%. So much for elite defense.
4) We let them get 23 defensive rebounds. So much for elite rebounding........
5) Rhyne lit us up for 24 (cout em) points!!!!!!!! Back to the defensive drawing board for Kellie......Coaching is hard......
6) In 19 valuable minutes of PT, Darby missed five shots and got one rebound. Still wondering what dirt she has on Kellie that gets her that starting role.........
7) Not one Tennessee player got more than 14 points. Putrid offense. Worst in program history!!!!!!
8) 17-1 is no big deal. Even Holly did that once, and then that season collapsed on her. It's delusional to think that won't happen with this coach, too.
9) Still no signature wins this season against top five teams. Coaching in P-5 conferences are hard for some.........

Other than that, the rest of the game went OK. Go Lady Vols!!

Signed:

Dirt_Ball

I'm rewatching the game and I am crazy about the stretch that starts at 7:37 left in the 4th quarter:

* Walker snags the rebound off a UK miss and dribbles up the floor quickly, does a crossover to change direction at the top of the key, drives the lane with her left hand, makes the scoop layup and gets fouled. Then she swishes the free throw.
* Howard dribbles the ball up and eventually Massengill gets possessession. Sara Puckett plays such tenacious, disruptive defense on Jasmine that she eventually gets her pocket picked by Horston ...
* Horston takes off dribbling and ends up making a gorgeous scoop layup on Howard
* UK takes it out and quickly finds Hunt on a long pass up the court. Hunt drives, but Keyen Green is there to stop her, taking the offensive charge. Crowd goes wild!

That stretch took me back in my mind to a time I once wondered if I'd ever see that brand of Lady Vol Basketball ever again. Well, there it was!

Dirt_Ball's post-game analysis:

1) Keyen Gren missed two FT's. Focus is hard for some........
2) Horston didn't have a double double and had four turnovers.
3) Ky shot 44% FG%. So much for elite defense.
4) We let them get 23 defensive rebounds. So much for elite rebounding........
5) Rhyne lit us up for 24 (cout em) points!!!!!!!! Back to the defensive drawing board for Kellie......Coaching is hard......
6) In 19 valuable minutes of PT, Darby missed five shots and got one rebound. Still wondering what dirt she has on Kellie that gets her that starting role.........
7) Not one Tennessee player got more than 14 points. Putrid offense. Worst in program history!!!!!!
8) 17-1 is no big deal. Even Holly did that once, and then that season collapsed on her. It's delusional to think that won't happen with this coach, too.
9) Still no signature wins this season against top five teams. Coaching in P-5 conferences are hard for some.........

Other than that, the rest of the game went OK. Go Lady Vols!!

Signed:

Dirt_Ball

Ya Holly did 17-1 with division 3 teams

Reactions: volfan__18
Ya Holly did 17-1 with division 3 teams

That's not true, sisaq. Holly did have some success early, but her lack of head coaching/management experience caught up with her soon after. There really is no need to diminish the successes she did have. And remember, even though being a head coach at Tennessee ultimately proved to be beyond her abilities, she DID make sure that 100% graduation rate was maintained, AND she recruited many terrific young women, some who we enjoyed watching play today.

That's not true, sisaq. Holly did have some success early, but her lack of head coaching/management experience caught up with her soon after. There really is no need to diminish the successes she did have. And remember, even though being a head coach at Tennessee ultimately proved to be beyond her abilities, she DID make sure that 100% graduation rate was maintained, AND she recruited many terrific young women, some who we enjoyed watching play today.

Ok 🙏 🙏

Guys and gals ,after the game I have been cleaning off my driveway and sidewalks of snow.Thought they played one heck of a game.Still making too many unforced turnovers...dribbling into double teams,throwing lazy passes ,etc ,and not setting their offense after breaking the press and taking shots too fast ,missing too many bunnies but were better at free throw line.After pointing out all the negatives ,there were just a "ton" of positives: Burrell beginning to look like her old self ...wow what a game from 3 point line;Green really stepped into game after Key left with injury and did more than yeoman's work ;Horston had so so 3 quarters of play in shooting the ball but did little things in getting others into the game and scored in the 4th quarter.

Coach Harper said ( if I heard right in her post game interview ) that Key's injury was an anlke and she was day to day.Glad we have a week off between games ...hope she can return at 100% for Georgia next Sunday.

This team has not played a really complete game yet.....the ceiling has yet to be in sight in how well they can play. Some really positives left in this season......looking forward to it.

Those negatives were mostly in the first quarter where there can be no debate that the LVs offensive execution was awful. As you state, too many TOs, bad decisions and missed bunnies. Maybe they came out a little tight wanting a big win for we back Pat. But no panic in this team. Their defense, as usual, kept them in striking distance. From the 2nd quarter point until Kellie emptied the bench, this game was their best offensive performance of the season. They handled the press really well by using Dye, Key, or Green as pressure valves and who then got the ball back to a guard. Ball movement and player movement was great. Rae was $ from outside and Tess was 3-6 from outside and had really good all round game. Great effort by Green to step in big with Tamari went down (that could have been a game changing moment). Jordan started really slow but made big shots down the stretch and played a really nice under control. Her pass to Green that led to the old fashioned 3 was a thing of beauty. 10 for 20 from the three point line is a clear season best. When the Lvs shoot like that from outside, they are going to be very hard to beat no matter who the opponent is.

And yes 10 for 12 from the FT!!!! I guess Kellie did notice that FTs had been a problem.

That performance did Coach Summitt proud

Last edited:
Rewatching this game as much as i used to complain about Darby. She has become one of my favorite players. The one player that drives me crazy now and i hope this leads to her making me eat crow also. But Wynn. She is a ball hog when she sees the court. She is shoot first and a turnover machine.

Rewatching this game as much as i used to complain about Darby. She has become one of my favorite players. The one player that drives me crazy now and i hope this leads to her making me eat crow also. But Wynn. She is a ball hog when she sees the court. She is shoot first and a turnover machine.

I remember when people said that about Rae... hoping for the same result from freshman to sophomore year and so on....

I believe Wynn's problem is her face shield. LOL! Seriously though, I predict that Wynn will be a All SEC first string guard in her sophomore or junior year.

Yep, 3 elite 8s in her first 4 years and multiple SEC titles. And Burrell, Key and Horsten are Holly's recruits. Not sure why some fans insist on a derogating someone who had such a great and loyal history as a LV.

Time for us to make a “updates on Tamari key” thread for us to obsess and worry over like we did with Rae😔

It is a grand conspiracy to hide some terrible secret. "I believe that Tamari will play for the LVs again when I see it." I don't know anything about HIPAA but I know it definitely does not apply here and Kellie should text me, as a curious random fan, Tamari' full medical history unless she has something to hide.....

Last edited:
There is an old saying: "when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail". That is Wynn right now, Her offensive game is to drive into the paint and put up an off balance shot. That worked to some extent against the early season opponents but not so much when she is facing top 25 teams. Her game will diversify and she we learn not to be overly aggressive. I wish she, in these limited minutes, she did not force things and let the game come to her but experience and coaching will fix that. She could still be a defensive X factor later in the season; her athleticism is off the charts.

Last edited:
Jazz to Rhyne and treasure: " Dang why'd i listen to yall again"
Seeing Jaz and Rhyne at the post game interview looking flabbergasted. They went from "we'll never lose to Tennessee"...to this. A shame! 😊

Rhyne will be fine once she gets to the WNBA, but Jaz hurt her chances of getting drafted, imo, by playing for a team who's entire offense revolves around one player. Hindsight is a mutha!

Mimi, Evina too...how's it going over there?

Other random thoughts: Keyen Green may have been a mid major transfer, but could absolutely be a bench player in the pros. Someone like Latoya Sanders, a small, consistent post. If she can add some jumpers a bit further from the basket, I can see her as a steady role player.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back