Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 84 - (19/20) Kentucky 58

Coach Kyra Elzy will always have a special place in LV's history. I attended a LV's game at Old Dominion University (ODU) in 96/97 season. We lost by 10. ODU had three international players including their point guard Ticha Penicherio. They were very good. We played them again in the 97 National Championship game. Coach Summitt shocked the world by playing Kyra Elzy as a lock down defender on Penicherio. LV's won their 5th National Championship that night. Kyra Elzy was phenomenal. When I think of that Championship, I will always give credit to Kyra's defense. Penicherio would go on to become a Wade Trophy winner and a top 20 WNBA icon. Kyra Elzy will always be recognized by me as a key component of the 97 championship.

Yep, last season our PG was trying to learn a brand new system and playing at a much higher level than she was accustomed to. With a bad knee ‘ta boot.

So glad we have Miles to take the pressure off some this season. We don’t lose anything defensively when Walker goes out and that was a big issue for us last season. Her defense wasn’t stellar but we really didn’t have anyone who could guard on the perimeter to sub in for her.

I don’t think Westbrook and Kellie would have been a good fit. Evina can’t even listen to Geno, if he can’t get through to her, who can? For as much as I dislike him you can’t deny he is one of the greatest basketball minds to ever coach the game. The fact she has made so little progress is a reflection of her lack of desire to learn, grow and change. Fully expected her to become a much better player at UCONN. I thought Holly was holding her back but clearly Evina is gate keeping herself from greatness.

Interesting take. But, I think Geno’s day is past. This is due to his narrow scope of ability to get the performance he wants. Bludgeoning players with insults in private and in public is not the way to get the best out of young adults. There have been advancements in nutrition, athletic training and even neuroscience. Coach Adia Barnes and her team took it to an alleged much better team in the final 4 because she instilled a better sense of themselves in her players.

His time is past. The neuroscience strongly shows much better outcomes come from positive reinforcement. God, dopamine is a wonderful thing! Small wonder Kelly, who the team credits with caring and knowing each player so well exactly which tact to take in order to get the very best out of each of her players, has them as the No. 5 team in the country. And, do it this with a number 2 recruit and a bunch of 30s to 50s and below. She’s done such an amazing job of getting the very best out of these players. Keep up the great work Kelly. The sky is the limit.

Interesting take. But, I think Geno’s day is past. This is due to his narrow scope of ability to get the performance he wants. Bludgeoning players with insults in private and in public is not the way to get the best out of young adults. There have been advancements in nutrition, athletic training and even neuroscience. Coach Adia Barnes and her team took it to an alleged much better team in the final 4 because she instilled a better sense of themselves in her players.

His time is past. The neuroscience strongly shows much better outcomes come from positive reinforcement. God, dopamine is a wonderful thing! Small wonder Kelly, who the team credits with caring and knowing each player so well exactly which tact to take in order to get the very best out of each of her players, has them as the No. 5 team in the country. And, do it this with a number 2 recruit and a bunch of 30s to 50s and below. She’s done such an amazing job of getting the very best out of these players. Keep up the great work Kelly. The sky is the limit.

Maybe more than any others on Pat's coaching tree, Kellie has identified and kept the best and permanent of Pat, updated "what is now known" about performance, and found a cultural sweetspot in creating a contemporary "family" identity for her team.

-----
Ahhhh... dopamine, in its natural state. How I miss it.

I have never liked Geno's style and I would to love to believe your assessment is correct. But, I think it is early to "put a fork" in Uconn/Geno. He is still attracting top tier recruits and maybe behind the scenes he may be a more effective communicator and motivator than he appears to be in his pressers. No question he understands the game.

I think the actual change is that the often mention state of parity is really taking hold in women's basketball. The talent gap is no longer so large that lower ranked teams simply can't compete. A team of good players who are in sync, like Oregon for example, can take down a team of top ranked recruits who are playing for themselves. I think Kellie is doing a great job in bringing in team players and instilling a collective value. It seems like Geno has run into a group of players who are not willing to make that commitment/sacrifice of personal goals for the greater good.

On paper, this Uconn team looks like one that could turn things around when they are back at full strength and be a real force come tournament time.

Last edited:
Better question, why are you so triggered by my praise for Key?

Kentucky shot 48% in the second half, 33% from three. But I'm sure that's a coincidence...
I find it absolutely amazing that Kentucky shot that % and still lost bigly. I would have predicted that Key going down would be a turning point...I just never imagined it would be in Tennessee's favor.

I think Geno's rein is over as well...Not that he can't coach,,,but he is recruiting a whole different player now,,,, no DT's, No bruising BIG's, no Breanna's,,nope......He needs an Annie Hayes, or a Rhyne Howard, etc,,,players that are hard to coach,,,thick skinned ...You had to see it in our game against KY,,,Howard seemed to play lazy at times and in full gear at other times...It takes a coach like Geno to get consistency out of players like her. Players like these have to play for a coach who is rarely if ever impressed.

Mudcat, you have been right about Tess from the very beginning! Hope you have similar confidence in the growth of our freshmen!
i do puckett& miles just getting start . karoline a # think hard for to get time with dye owning 4 spot. green unsized but she earning time as key & dye backups. wynn has show tenn coach trust her on defence. hopely wynn offence will pick up when mask comes off. wynn run track so speed not a problem. karoline has set some pretty sceams for the three point shoots . karoline also shoots good free throws. and when she gets a reb close she puts right back at basket kepting high where the quick small can not tie her up.

I find it absolutely amazing that Kentucky shot that % and still lost bigly. I would have predicted that Key going down would be a turning point...I just never imagined it would be in Tennessee's favor.

The Lady Vols played pissed off after Tamari went out. I’m not sure if it was because of that or something else. They hit a different gear after she went out though.

I think Kentucky was caught off guard as well. Teams spend so much time game planning for Tamari that when she goes out they’re lost.

We took advantage of Howard’s poor defense numerous times. Last season she was always talking about how much better her defense was and that she was a two way player. In that game against us she was literally just standing and waving her hand at 3 point shooters. Not even a close out.

Puckett score on her 3 times and Howard just seemed kinda surprised.

We took advantage of Howard’s poor defense numerous times. Last season she was always talking about how much better her defense was and that she was a two way player. In that game against us she was literally just standing and waving her hand at 3 point shooters. Not even a close out.

I was so impressed by Puckett's presence in this game. She didn't get the kudos she deserved for those three scores because all three were made with upperclassman confidence against the senior multi-time SEC POTY and perennial candidate for NPOTY. And you're right, Howard looked surprised. I loved it!

That stretch of Puckett and Darby trading baskets and making UK look deflated followed that media time out that came right after that stretch that ended with Keyen taking the charge. After this segment of the game I relaxed. It was in the bag for Tennessee, and that fact was written all over the faces and in the body language of the Wildcats.

I really, REALLY loved this game. Doing all that without Key? Still cheesin' over here. :D

I was so impressed by Puckett's presence in this game. She didn't get the kudos she deserved for those three scores because all three were made with upperclassman confidence against the senior multi-time SEC POTY and perennial candidate for NPOTY. And you're right, Howard looked surprised. I loved it!

That stretch of Puckett and Darby trading baskets and making UK look deflated followed that media time out that came right after that stretch that ended with Keyen taking the charge. After this segment of the game I relaxed. It was in the bag for Tennessee, and that fact was written all over the faces and in the body language of the Wildcats.

I really, REALLY loved this game. Doing all that without Key? Still cheesin' over here. :D
speaking of the future #1 pidk howard. she could not get by tess one on one. just one play but howard pass it back out when tess cut her off.

The Lady Vols played pissed off after Tamari went out. I’m not sure if it was because of that or something else. They hit a different gear after she went out though.

I think Kentucky was caught off guard as well. Teams spend so much time game planning for Tamari that when she goes out they’re lost.

She didn't just seemed surprised, she doesn't try at all to stop any player. First 8 mts game started she was shooting and was smiling 😃.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back