Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I owned a 19 inch CRT Panasonic with a built in VCR. Thing lasted forever. Also had a 19 inch Magnavox that finally went out around 20 years.
Some CRTs are skyrocketing back in price. People that play old games realized old games look better on the TVs they were designed for. Not my thing, but it's pretty interesting...didn't believe it at first until I saw it. Pixel art was a true art form, accounting for and working with the lines on the TVs to smooth out the images.

I don’t think the staff feels the situation on defense is as dire as the majority of our fans…. They want defensive guys but will be selective in who they take.

revenge-of-the-nerds-angry-coach.gif
Watch the film Coaches.

I know we need immediate help, but to be honest, I'll be fine with a couple more years hovering around .500 and just stay out of the portal lunacy. Just build the roster the old fashioned way. Do your homework on the HS kids and develop them. With the portal, you're getting someone elses problems in what I'd assume would be the majority of cases. Yeah, there will be exceptions like Hooker, Jones and Payton, but that's not the norm. The playoff regulars will cherry pick the best. For the rest of us, it's a crap shoot. Maybe it's being turned off by the one and dones in basketball or just a feeling of nostalgia, but rebuilding with kids you chose from the high school ranks seems like better odds. So with that "get off my yard" moment, I feel better. ;)

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Late night insomnia. I figured to waste time I'd try to figure out our scholarship numbers. So this is who 247 lists as being on scholarship.

QBs: Hooker, Milton, Jackson = 3

RBs: Small, Wright, Whitehead, Williams, Sampson = 5

WRs: Tillman, Keyton, Hyatt, Holiday, Calloway, Merrill, Miller, White, Nimrod, Webb, Neyor =11

TEs: Fant, Warren , Nixon, Campbell = 4

OL: Carvin, Wright, Lane, Crawford, Harris, Davis(believe he was put on scholly), Lampley, Mays, Akporoghene, Spraggins, Robinson, Nichols, Clipper, Reddick, Grant, Mincey = 16

Edge: Young, Baron, Harrison, Eason, Pearce, Josephs = 6

DL : Bumphus, Garland, Thomas, Simmons, Terry, Bailey, McNeil, Phillips, West = 9

LBs: Banks, Mitchell, Page, Beasley, Garland, Mohan, Willis, Perry, Herring =9

CBs: Burrell, Turnage, Hadden, Slaughter, Fields, Harrison, Williams = 7

S: Flowers, McCullough, McDonald, Rucker, Charles, Thomas =6 (7 if Labruzza comes back)

K: McGrath

P: Brooks (assuming he's coming back)

If my math is right, that puts us at 78. 79 if Labruzza comes back.

So is anyone else on scholarship?
There's a couple of VQ guys that have a whole thread devoted to this. Larry and someone else. I think they have us at 83 (for the Fall) at last count.

Last edited:
Reactions: volsfan_17
Some CRTs are skyrocketing back in price. People that play old games realized old games look better on the TVs they were designed for. Not my thing, but it's pretty interesting...didn't believe it at first until I saw it. Pixel art was a true art form, accounting for and working with the lines on the TVs to smooth out the images.

Last one I had was a 32" Sony...Man those things weigh a ton.

Late night insomnia. I figured to waste time I'd try to figure out our scholarship numbers. So this is who 247 lists as being on scholarship.

QBs: Hooker, Milton, Jackson = 3

RBs: Small, Wright, Whitehead, Williams, Sampson = 5

WRs: Tillman, Keyton, Hyatt, Holiday, Calloway, Merrill, Miller, White, Nimrod, Webb, Neyor =11

TEs: Fant, Warren , Nixon, Campbell = 4

OL: Carvin, Wright, Lane, Crawford, Harris, Davis(believe he was put on scholly), Lampley, Mays, Akporoghene, Spraggins, Robinson, Nichols, Clipper, Reddick, Grant, Mincey = 16

Edge: Young, Baron, Harrison, Eason, Pearce, Josephs = 6

DL : Bumphus, Garland, Thomas, Simmons, Terry, Bailey, McNeil, Phillips, West = 9

LBs: Banks, Mitchell, Page, Beasley, Garland, Mohan, Willis, Perry, Herring =9

CBs: Burrell, Turnage, Hadden, Slaughter, Fields, Harrison, Williams = 7

S: Flowers, McCullough, McDonald, Rucker, Charles, Thomas =6 (7 if Labruzza comes back)

K: McGrath

P: Brooks (assuming he's coming back)

If my math is right, that puts us at 78. 79 if Labruzza comes back.

So is anyone else on scholarship?
. Are there 2 Garlands on defense? You have a Garland at LB and one on DL. Didn’t know if we have two or just same guy for listed at 2 positions.

Travon Walker, Nakobi Dean, Lewis Cine, James Cook, Zamir White, George Pickens, and Jamaree Salyer all declared for the draft thus far.

I realize that roster is loaded but damn that’s a lot of their best players gone.

Hoping more follow suit and either go pro or head to the portal.
Others that will be gone are Quay Walker, Channing Tindall, Derion Kendrick, Latevious Brini, Robert Beal Jr, Devonte Wyatt, Jordan Davis, Justin Shaffer and Jake Camarda. It really will be an entire new team.

Nolan Smith still has a decision to make.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Yeah I keep one in my man cave for that purpose. Plus the nintendo gun won't work on new TV's either and the kids love playing duck hunt.
20220115_090518.jpg

I also keep one in my classroom they were going to toss out. We have a duck hunt tournament on free days at the end of the nine weeks. Kids love it!
20211217_101705.jpg

I know we need immediate help, but to be honest, I'll be fine with a couple more years hovering around .500 and just stay out of the portal lunacy. Just build the roster the old fashioned way. Do your homework on the HS kids and develop them. With the portal, you're getting someone elses problems in what I'd assume would be the majority of cases. Yeah, there will be exceptions like Hooker, Jones and Payton, but that's not the norm. The playoff regulars will cherry pick the best. For the rest of us, it's a crap shoot. Maybe it's being turned off by the one and dones in basketball or just a feeling of nostalgia, but rebuilding with kids you chose from the high school ranks seems like better odds. So with that "get off my yard" moment, I feel better. ;)
As a fan, yes I can understand rebuild and being a few years out from competing with the big dogs, but from a player and coaches perspective, I can see the do what you need to do to win now.

As much as losing hurts fans, it really is worse as a players and coach. Plus, i've got a lifetime to root for the vols. These kids have four years to play in the orange and white. They want to win now, not two, three, four years from now.

I understand what you're saying but it's also refreshing to not hear a coach opine on rebuilding the roster. Heupel expects to compete and win right away and for the most part in year one we did.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
The Portal is like Free Agency in the NFL.
How many NFL teams sign "big time" free agents and then don't do squat? Yes, Tampa Bay did last year, but that is an anomaly.
You build through the draft....and recruiting. JMO

Reactions: yourstruly23
Unfortunately, I think those days are gone. There is too much pressure to win now. Unless the NCAA can form some type of corporate umbrella to manage the sport, like the NFL, I think you will see more instability in CFB as it relates to transfers, paying to play, etc. Lawyers are involved and no one knows the rules and it appears the NCCA is toothless legally. It is what it is and who knows what it will be.

Reactions: Golf freak
Yeah I keep one in my man cave for that purpose. Plus the nintendo gun won't work on new TV's either and the kids love playing duck hunt.
View attachment 428396

I also keep one in my classroom they were going to toss out. We have a duck hunt tournament on free days at the end of the nine weeks. Kids love it!
View attachment 428399

Always knew you'd be the cool teacher, Mr. Jones would be proud. :)

I always knew that there was something really wrong with alabama (the state) and south carolina.

Common ingredient in BBQ sauce in alabama is mayonnaise 😳

In south carolina, mustard is part of the BBQ sauce.

What’s wrong with these states? Who’s the first that said, our BBQ sauce is missing something, I know, let’s add mayonnaise 😳
…Carolina gold sauce is incredible. Don’t you dare utter whatever Alabama passes for a sauce in the same breath as a good Carolina gold

I don’t think the staff feels the situation on defense is as dire as the majority of our fans…. They want defensive guys but will be selective in who they take.
If the situation is "dire," the coaches are absolutely correct to be selective.

And if the henny pennies want to run around in tight little circles screaming "the sky is falling, take anyone but do it today!" then they are just catastrophizing and b!tching and falsely claiming to speak for the majority of our fans.

And don't kid yourself: if their own advice were taken, the henny pennies would immediately switch gears and start screaming that the coach had wasted all of out spots every time a new guy came on the market from now until fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back