Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've been a legitimate company for a number of years fwiw.

I have suggested they volunteer to be audited. If I were a General, I'd be pushing even moreso. I just think it would be good business and add to funding by easing skeptical donors. Should alsi be fairly affordable considering they don't have a complex business or financial model.
I think they could start by just drawing a flowchart for how the money gets to the players. Even in the most hypothetical sense. I fully recognize I might just be too stupid to understand.

Imagine instead of Spyre it was a mattress store. You put your donation in a bucket. They take all the donation money over to campus and buy a giant overpriced billboard for their store with a bunch of players on it. That makes sense to me.

But Spyre is a sports agent/marketing company. On their website they claim more or less to be a go between for athletes and NIL opportunities. So how do donations fit into that?

They basically say "Send us the money and we'll give it to the players". But that's technically not allowed. Are they going to hand the money to local businesses and have them kick it back in the form of "NIL deals"?

Obviously there is some form of tomfoolery going on because, as we all know, most players don't have any value in their NIL and NIL is just a vehicle to pay them. But it's still totally vague and obscured on how that is going to work.

Reactions: SmokinBob
I think they could start by just drawing a flowchart for how the money gets to the players. Even in the most hypothetical sense. I fully recognize I might just be too stupid to understand.

Imagine instead of Spyre it was a mattress store. You put your donation in a bucket. They take all the donation money over to campus and buy a giant overpriced billboard for their store with a bunch of players on it. That makes sense to me.

But Spyre is a sports agent/marketing company. On their website they claim more or less to be a go between for athletes and NIL opportunities. So how do donations fit into that?

They basically say "Send us the money and we'll give it to the players". But that's technically not allowed. Are they going to hand the money to local businesses and have them kick it back in the form of "NIL deals"?

Obviously there is some form of tomfoolery going on because, as we all know, most players don't have any value in their NIL and NIL is just a vehicle to pay them. But it's still totally vague and obscured on how that is going to work.

Zero Tom Foolery. There’s like 10 threads on Volquest explaining this. They’ve done a sit down interview with AP talking through this.

Donations and giving money to the players is absolutely legal. Because you’re part of the 1951 club and your membership gets you items which the proceeds then go to players. Very similar to a merchandise/autograph deal. Very legal.

They’re on record 90% of the donation directly to players, 10% goes to covering operating costs and hard costs.

you have mentioned 3 full time employees, but the NIL arm is just one branch of their business, not their sole source of income.

To say most players have no NIL value is crazy. Look at how many people are on this forum following every single recruitment. There’s absolutely value in every single kid, it just may vary and might be untraditional.

Zero Tom Foolery. There’s like 10 threads on Volquest explaining this. They’ve done a sit down interview with AP talking through this.

Donations and giving money to the players is absolutely legal. Because you’re part of the 1951 club and your membership gets you items which the proceeds then go to players. Very similar to a merchandise/autograph deal. Very legal.

They’re on record 90% of the donation directly to players, 10% goes to covering operating costs and hard costs.

you have mentioned 3 full time employees, but the NIL arm is just one branch of their business, not their sole source of income.

To say most players have no NIL value is crazy. Look at how many people are on this forum following every single recruitment. There’s absolutely value in every single kid, it just may vary and might be untraditional.
It’s pretty simple as you said

Reactions: Bruce Wayne

I won't give specifics...but I will say that a former VFL cleared 5 figures for a day camp I worked not long ago.

The coaches/staff that put it on were not the draw for those parents/kids that came to the camp. They were there to meet this VFL, get a picture with him, and spend the day have fun doing some light drill/skill work. I think Hendon Hooker right now (in Knoxville at least) could pull an even bigger crowd than this VFL since he's the current starting QB.

Gunsmoke. Especially the first 6-7 seasons or so.

John Wayne faves that I didn't see mentioned:
Stagecoach
Fort Apache
The man who shot liberty valance
The Shootist

Fistful of Dollars has always been my fav Eastwood movie, but 5 or 6 others could be as well. Fistful was basically a remake Akira Kurosawa' Yojimbo. Another sidenote, the music is by Italian maestro,
Ennio Morricone, and the famous whistle is that of Allessandro Allessandroni, a legend in the obscure Italian 'library' music genre (which I am a big fan of).

Surprised no mention of the movie Shane.

Curveball pick that is not necessarily a western:
The Night of the Hunter starring Robert Mitchum.

Also, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 1 Episode 3: Triggers in Leash

Etc, etc

I won't give specifics...but I will say that a former VFL cleared 5 figures for a day camp I worked not long ago.

The coaches/staff that put it on were not the draw for those parents/kids that came to the camp. They were there to meet this VFL, get a picture with him, and spend the day have fun doing some light drill/skill work. I think Hendon Hooker right now (in Knoxville at least) could pull an even bigger crowd than this VFL since he's the current starting QB.

Be on the look out for the Spyre Sports Event series coming soon!

My grandfather had (gave to me after his passing) every John Wayne movie, minus 5, that he was ever in. He also collected over 100 Lobby Cards from his movies. A friend of his from the Navy worked in Hollywood and gave him the addresses to some of the co-stars of John Wayne movies. He sent letters to them and asked for an autographed photo. He got hundreds of responses.........Frank Sinatra, Jimmy Stewart, Shirley Temple, Katharine Hepburn, LaurenBacall, and Dean Martin to name a few. Wayne's son Patrick came to my grandfathers house to see his collection. He work on this for the last 20 years of his life and willed it to me after his passing. Something I cherish to this day.
That's awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back