BTO’s LSU Postgame Report

This is a gross oversimplification on my part, but Tennessee fares a lot better in games where Fulkerson scores double-digits (only two losses over the last two seasons, including this year's Texas Tech aberration). I feel that this lack of energy and poise can be attributed to COVID-19, since it seems to affect him a lot more than other players based on what we've witnessed, but Barnes' statement on Fulkerson is 100% accurate since (regardless of the reason) Fulkerson needs to play to a minimum level of effort/production or else shouldn't be on the floor at all.

It just really sucks since he didn't start coming into his own post-COVID until the SEC Tournament last year (which, obviously, was cut unduly short) and it seems like he's going to be floating in the ether again this season unless the bounce-back period is shorter.

I agree. Since he got back on the floor pretty quick, hopefully his full recovery time is shorter this time around.

Might be instead of an attempt to motivate Fulk, Barnes is about to redistribute his minutes and knows that the “fans” will lose their s*** when he’s on the bench. They sure were having a hissy over the minutes allocated to Uros and to BHH.

Maybe Barnes knows that there’s going to be lots of criticism directed at the team and now he’s redirected it towards himself instead of the team. Are any of the Legions of the Miserable defending Barnes and attacking Fulk? JJJ and Bailey have also been hard targets of the loud critics. Now they’re going after the coach.

It might also not mean a thing. He’s just making random comments about the state of the team and the players. Maybe it’s not the typical Coach Speak that always gets blasted as well.
Barnes has always thrown his players under the bus when things weren't going his way. He did it here with Hubbs then turner and now Fulkerson. He was even crticized for it at Texas. The kind of players that want to subject themselves to his type of abusive coaching are few and far between these days, as evidenced by his inability to build a complete team. Why do you think he can't get the kesslers and similar front court guys?

Barnes has always thrown his players under the bus when things weren't going his way. He did it here with Hubbs then turner and now Fulkerson. He was even crticized for it at Texas. The kind of players that want to subject themselves to his type of abusive coaching are few and far between these days, as evidenced by his inability to build a complete team. Why do you think he can't get the kesslers and similar front court guys?
But can get the Aidoo’s and BHH’s lol

Reactions: walkenvol

“Abusive”. LOL.

Accountability = abuse nowadays? Man, no wonder our country is going downhill.

Where did you say projects? Aidoo was a Top 50 big man recruit, BHH as well, claiming he can’t add highly ranked front line players was a dumb take.
When I was talking Aidoo up early season before it was known he was ill, pretty sure I was be informed he was a project by the more informed on the board. And evidently BHH isn't responding to the Barnes coddling, also being thrown out there by the more informed.

When I was talking Aidoo up early season before it was known he was ill, pretty sure I was be informed he was a project by the more informed on the board. And evidently BHH isn't responding to the Barnes coddling, also being thrown out there by the more informed.
Ah, you mean your take that Aidoo was going to most definitely be playing big minutes by now?

Ah, you mean your take that Aidoo was going to most definitely be playing big minutes by now?
He would be if he hadn't been ill early season. Ever had mono there chief? And my comments about him were IF he adjusted to the speed of the game i do believe. Evidently his health hasn't allowed him to do so. give us a prediction there son. Do we exit the tourney first or second week this season. Stick your neck out. Grow a pair.

He would be if he hadn't been ill early season. Ever had mono there chief? And my comments about him were IF he adjusted to the speed of the game i do believe. Evidently his health hasn't allowed him to do so. give us a prediction there son. Do we exit the tourney first or second week this season. Stick your neck out. Grow a pair.
Lol, he had MONO when you were making those predictions, nice try.

I say we make the dance, wanna bet on it? Surely no way a mediocre Barnes gets Tennessee to another NCAAT, right?

Lol, he had MONO when you were making those predictions, nice try.

I say we make the dance, wanna bet on it? Surely no way a mediocre Barnes gets Tennessee to another NCAAT, right?
No one knew he had mono. They were saying he was lazy.
i asked you what week we exit. No balls for a prediction? Being your usual self?

No one knew he had mono. They were saying he was lazy.
i asked you what week we exit. No balls for a prediction? Being your usual self?
Lol, it was said at the time he had MONO, go back and look, goodness.

You think Barnes has us dancing again?

And you are one of BHH's biggest bashers. Is he a miss?

I’m hardly a BHH basher. I’ve not advocated playing him because of his potential. I’ve said that Uros is probably schooling him in practice and therefore gets more PT because of it. If you want to see player Bashers read through the in-game threads.

I wouldn’t call BHH a miss less than halfway into the season. But I’d rather have Aidoo and Tamba for 3 or 4 years than BHH for one.

Except the OP didn’t seem to get that, which was my point, and why I chose Auburn…he acts like Pearl can do no wrong but it’s same deal for Pearl, when 3’s aren’t dropping his teams typically lose.
Yeah, and I totally agree on that part. Kinda goes without saying. I just think that Auburn had much fewer poor shooting nights than this Tennessee team, so perhaps the issue is that Tennessee is potentially deploying a strategy that they aren't as well equipped to carry out.

Most people wanted Tennessee to stop shooting so many 15-18 foot shots, and rather play the analytics game that says a 23-foot shot is the smarter look. That seems to be the method we have deployed, but it is backfiring far more often than it did for AU three years ago. My guess is because Auburn had better shooters, likely played at a faster tempo, and got better looks. Plus, teams have schemed around how to better defend that strategy in three years. Maybe it is our almost absent interior post offense that allows teams to hedge on our shooters. Perhaps it is that our best shooters are scared to shoot and our worst ones have no conscience.

It just doesn't seem like we have the personnel to play that system if we slow the tempo. It almost feels like we need to be a run-and-gun team that almost always shoots the ball with over 15 seconds left on the shot clock. Play small and run teams to death, get out in transition and attack the rim, or hit trailing shooters for open 3s. Chandler, Ziegler, Santi, Powell/James and one of BHH/Fulk/Nkamhoua. Screw rebounding and mitigate it defensively by forcing TOs, and mitigate it offensively by increasing the number of possessions we get by being quick-triggered.

^^^Fwiw our tempo is actually considered “up-tempo” this year and is pretty similar to Auburn’s tempo ranking.

^^^Fwiw our tempo is actually considered “up-tempo” this year and is pretty similar to Auburn’s tempo ranking.
I think the current number on our tempo is heavily buoyed in our blowout wins and over lesser competition. I'd bet it was lower against TTU and thru every SEC game, thus far, and will continue to decline throughout the season if nothing changes as we have no more gimmes on the schedule.

I say that all based on memory/recollection and without hard data, so I could be wrong.

I think the current number on our tempo is heavily buoyed in our blowout wins and over lesser competition. I'd bet it was lower against TTU and thru every SEC game, thus far, and will continue to decline throughout the season if nothing changes as we have no more gimmes on the schedule.

I say that all based on memory/recollection and without hard data, so I could be wrong.
Possibly, I’m not sure how to see it game but game.

VN Store

Back