BTO’s LSU Postgame Report

But this Tennessee team doesn't shoot the ball as well as that Auburn team did on their best night. The floor and ceiling for this edition of Tennessee shooters are both much lower than that AU team, so far.

That AU team was 3rd nationally in made 3s/game, and 36th in 3-pt shooting%.

This Tennessee team is currently 62nd in made 3s/gm and 253rd in 3-pt shooting%.
I wasn’t saying we are as good as they are, or have that ceiling from 3, I’ve said it a thousand times, we have to shoot better…the point was though that if your offensive game plan is to shoot 3’s then typically you win and lose based on how many of them you hit. I don’t see a mid season philosophical change being the strategy, and I don’t see us having the post players to do it, so at this point it would seem our most likely path to success is we start shooting the ball better…on all fronts, not just 3.

They aren't hurting for guard players this year, even having a true PG. It's the bigs that they are in pretty bad shape at and where help is needed the most and has been for some long time.
Not sure what that has to do with your post I replied to? You said Barnes doesn’t play freshman, yet he’s playing Zeigler big minutes, who’s a freshman.

This is a gross oversimplification on my part, but Tennessee fares a lot better in games where Fulkerson scores double-digits (only two losses over the last two seasons, including this year's Texas Tech aberration). I feel that this lack of energy and poise can be attributed to COVID-19, since it seems to affect him a lot more than other players based on what we've witnessed, but Barnes' statement on Fulkerson is 100% accurate since (regardless of the reason) Fulkerson needs to play to a minimum level of effort/production or else shouldn't be on the floor at all.

It just really sucks since he didn't start coming into his own post-COVID until the SEC Tournament last year (which, obviously, was cut unduly short) and it seems like he's going to be floating in the ether again this season unless the bounce-back period is shorter.

But Barnes does NOT need to throw John under the bus publicly. Barnes has always had a temper, however, never accepting personal responsibility while laying out your own players is not the way to go. Right now, he just sounds like a mean tempered old fart.

But Barnes does NOT need to throw John under the bus publicly. Barnes has always had a temper, however, never accepting personal responsibility while laying out your own players is not the way to go. Right now, he just sounds like a mean tempered old fart.

If it’s been effective with Fulk before he’ll do it again.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
It makes sense to play Fulk early. With his condition it would be difficult to discern when he’s going to be spent after 5-10 minutes or if he can be productive for 20. So play him early, pull him when he’s done, and use the other options to close out the game.
Somewhat plausible - you could likely get a read on his energy, stamina after a few minutes. Again I think he gets stronger every week going forward.

If we have any chance against Kentucky, we really need to start hitting some shots and getting our confidence back. These are young kids (except Fulky) and playing confident basketball is big difference for any kid. As much of this game is mental than it is physical ability. Lets score at least 80 against SC, get a little confidence back, and go to Ky with our heads down.
Go Vols!!

Not sure what you consider to be young, but we start 3 JRs, a Sr and a Fr.

Somewhat plausible - you could likely get a read on his energy, stamina after a few minutes. Again I think he gets stronger every week going forward.

You also don’t want to set him back if exhaustion comes into play. Maybe this will be the year that everything comes together for the stretch run. Injuries and illnesses are overcome. There isn’t attrition (it hurt losing Turner a couple years ago). Newcomers are ready to step up. Capable shooters get out of their funks. Nobody is worn out from being ridden too much by averaging close to 40 minutes per game. The players aren’t mentally burned out. The bad losses are weeks in the past. There is a good mix of upper class men and freshmen (last year TN was too dependent on Johnson and Springer with the injuries to the more experienced players). Viruses don’t sweep through the roster. The freshmen PGs aren’t making freshmen mistakes. There have been issues every year. Mainly injuries without a long bench to overcome. The depth problem was also a challenge when the refs were chronically whistling our best players for 2 fouls before the first TV time outs. 100 year old nuns don’t get lucky bounces. Players don’t kick our defenders while shooting and get three free throws after bogus foul calls. Mediocre players don’t have the best 3-point shooting days of their careers.

Most teams that live/die by the 3 have a number of goof 3 pt shooters so off nights don't come often. Barnes seem to want this team to be that kind to but don't have the 3 pt shooters to play it. Not sure why he remains so stubborn with his offense.

Most teams that live/die by the 3 have a number of goof 3 pt shooters so off nights don't come often. Barnes seem to want this team to be that kind to but don't have the 3 pt shooters to play it. Not sure why he remains so stubborn with his offense.
Previous years people were pissed about the mid range and post attempts saying we needing to be more modern and shoot 3’s and saying he was too stubborn to adapt…now he changes it up and it’s why are we shouting 3’s?

Reactions: walkenvol
Not sure what you consider to be young, but we start 3 JRs, a Sr and a Fr.

This, we have one of the most experienced teams around. It's just that no players have gotten much better lately it seems. You might get a random good game here and there from them, but no one among the upper classmen are consistent.

Previous years people were pissed about the mid range and post attempts saying we needing to be more modern and shoot 3’s and saying he was too stubborn to adapt…now he changes it up and it’s why are we shouting 3’s?

Will I guess Barnes can't win either way he goes. This team must knock down 3's all day in practice.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Vescovi is pretty damn consistent

True, it's a shame he only got 7 shots yesterday. He's the lone player that isn't a freshman we have who can be somewhat counted on in a big game. Not that the others won't have one occasionally but if someone asked me who else besides him or Chandler was likely to finish with 12 points, I'd throw a dart at names on a board and go with that.

I’d add that ORN had another solid outing. He’s looking a lot more comfortable against P5 competition. Also good to see chandler play better against a big athletic team.

Biggest things we need are to quit turning it over for easy buckets at such critical times and getting some consistency from JJJ and Fulky.

I’m a big JJJ fan, but he needs to get something going other than standing around the 3 point line on offense. I think he’s a better shooter than he’s shown so far this season, but not sure he should be taking 7-8 threes a game with no other semblance of an offensive threat.

Fulky looks like he’s maybe putting too much pressure on himself or something and getting away from what’s worked for him on the past. Seems like he’s trying to do a lot more back downs instead of catching 10 ft from the basket and creating space/taking his man on the dribble drive.

Last edited:
1. Had you told me that we would score a near season high allowed by LSU and that we would shoot 37 free throws I would feel pretty confident that we would win that game. I definitely didn’t see our defense electing not to make the trip and allowing LSU best offensive showing against a P5 school on the season. They out physicaled us all game long and our turnovers came at bad times and led to really ease baskets for them.

2. Shooting 38%fg 25%3pt 62%ft is really bad on all 3 levels, I know that’s a good LSU defense, and our KenPom offensive efficiency actually went up after last nights game (if that tells you how bad it’s been), but if we had shot just decent at all 3 levels 45/35/75 we win that game pretty handily, kind of hard to fathom.

3. Barnes is at a crossroads with some guys, Fulk looked bad again and even worse he looked as if he didn’t really even want to be there or care, his energy has always been his best attribute and if that’s not there then he’s tough to watch. JJJ is key for many reasons and a guy we need, but his shooting looks absolutely abysmal, shouldn’t be a confidence thing or a short leash thing because he continues jacking up 3’s with no regard at all, 1-7 last night with not a single 2pta taken.

4. I hoped to see a better game from Powell, for those that missed it he got absolutely whipped on the FT play that LSU got the rebound and putback which in the moment felt like a big momentum play, Barnes sat him after that for a very long time. If you don’t want to play Bailey and you’re going smaller Powell has to play, I’m sure it’s about what he’s seeing in practice too but Powell needs to know he’s got a little room for error and that he’s gonna get back out there, on a night we struggled shooting he’s riding the pine.

5. Some positive, Santi again looked good so won’t spend much time there, but Plavsic considering competition played probably his best game as a Vol. In just 15 minutes he scores 12 points and grabs 7 rebounds, he missed some FTs and had an embarrassing block on a layup attempt, but he was pretty good. If he could continue to develop an aggressive and physical style he could be even more effective, not claiming he’s a world beater but you can see why Barnes was hell bent on going to him early in the season.

6. Big picture, losses happen especially on the road in conference play, Alabama just lost at Missouri and were down 20 at one point, so the result isn’t a huge deal considering it was actually one of the most likely losses on our schedule by most metrics. However, it’s how we looked and that problems that we saw early on don’t appear to be getting corrected and we continue to struggle in the same areas, and that is the frustrating part. One of the big complains many have had with Barnes is his teams peak too early, I don’t think anyone would say we are playing our best ball right now so maybe they continue to work things out and improve over the course of the season and peak at a better time, then again maybe not. I said prior to conference play starting there was a very real chance we start out 2-3 and that if we do that wouldn’t really even be bad, likely road losses @Alabam, @lsu and @UK, probably on paper the 3 hardest SEC games all in the first 5…that obviously sets up for being able to make some noise later if we can get some things worked out. For now, home to Knoxville to play a South Carolina team we should beat and then on the road to Rupp.

GBO!!!
This program should have moved beyond having to play “effort guys” like Fulky, Small school players like Vescovi, or busts like JJJ. Is there no one else? These guys aren’t good enough to win consistently, especially when the conference is so deep. I hate it.

It makes sense to play Fulk early. With his condition it would be difficult to discern when he’s going to be spent after 5-10 minutes or if he can be productive for 20. So play him early, pull him when he’s done, and use the other options to close out the game.
Will this strategy make him stronger, taller, faster, or a better shooter? If not …

Reactions: Tnphil
Honestly, I’m more upset with Barnes at the lazy ass zone we played for WAY too long. We got pummeled in the middle and corner, and gave up tons of rebounds (all things that are likely once the other team figures out your zone). Offensive issues are one thing, but the defense showing up would have maybe won us the game yesterday. Just frustrating all around, but not a bad loss by any stretch.

VN Store

Back