Coronavirus (No politics)

My fiancé started coughing nonstop around Saturday. Fast forward to Tuesday and I woke up with body aches that morning. By lunch I had chills and developed a fever of 101.4. Tuesday sucked. Shaky with general weakness, headache, congestion and sore throat, fever lasted that day. Woke up Wednesday with a bit of a headache and congestion. Still had a sore throat. Today I have a mildly sore throat and a persistent cough. But my energy levels are almost 100% normal now and I just feel like I have a nagging cold. We both tested negative for flu and covid. Rapid tests are junk though so I have no idea what to believe. We have had two of them so I’m not going to take a pcr test and wait 3 days for it to tell me.

Edit: we both have the first two doses of moderna. But I has been exactly one year since our second dose now because we got them early due to working in ems. No booster because to be honest data on them has been all over the place with the variants.

Overwhelmed by Omicron surge, U.S. hospitals delay surgeries

excerpts:

Hospital systems in nearly half of U.S. states including Maryland, Virginia and Ohio have announced they would postpone elective surgeries, a Reuters review of public statements and local media reports found, and at least three state governments; New York, Illinois, and Massachusetts, have implemented or recommended state-wide delays.

Most of the areas where hospitals are suspending surgeries have seen either a peak or surge in daily COVID-19 hospitalization rates during December or January, data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show.

The Omicron surge has also forced the National Institutes of Health to postpone elective surgeries at the largest hospital in the United States devoted to clinical research, Reuters reported.

And now there are even fewer staff to handle both COVID patients and those needing elective surgery.

Around 450,000 healthcare workers, or 3% of the industry's workforce, quit between February 2020 and November 2021, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data show.

My fiancé started coughing nonstop around Saturday. Fast forward to Tuesday and I woke up with body aches that morning. By lunch I had chills and developed a fever of 101.4. Tuesday sucked. Shaky with general weakness, headache, congestion and sore throat, fever lasted that day. Woke up Wednesday with a bit of a headache and congestion. Still had a sore throat. Today I have a mildly sore throat and a persistent cough. But my energy levels are almost 100% normal now and I just feel like I have a nagging cold. We both tested negative for flu and covid. Rapid tests are junk though so I have no idea what to believe. We have had two of them so I’m not going to take a pcr test and wait 3 days for it to tell me.

Edit: we both have the first two doses of moderna. But I has been exactly one year since our second dose now because we got them early due to working in ems. No booster because to be honest data on them has been all over the place with the variants.

The data on boosters came out like back in August a long time ago and has been confirmed to be extremely helpful. With the new Omicron variant they said you should really be boosted before it started circulating because of its mutations especially if you are well past the 6 month mark of the first 2 rounds.

Reactions: volwindy
masks were never about me anyway.

I will not pretend that masks are doing anything. It is dangerous to those that are at risk from covid to make them falsely believe that a cloth or paper mask is going to protect them. If they believe that they are more likely to engage in behaviors and activities that will place them in more danger of actually catching covid.

As far as the perfectly healthy wanting to mask up to make others feel better about walking around a store... yeah, not playing that game. I am not here to make others feel good about their decisions. I am to speak truth and to walk it out. Paper and cloth masks do not work, so I will not compromise my integrity by pretending that they do.

I read half of this and started laughing, particularly about the part of someone getting in the motorcycle crash. Funny story here, and true: One of my best friends mothers died from a 5 inch tumor in her lungs about two weeks ago. On her dying day hospital staff tested her 4 times for COVID. Why? My friend told them if they stuck that swab up her nose one more time then he was going to cram it up theirs. That's what finally got the testing to stop. You can't have your cake and eat it too my friend.
Hospitals get additional federal funds for every covid hospitalization and death.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Hospitals get additional federal funds for every covid hospitalization and death.
When this was first being talked about (similar to peeps saying, "Do you actually know anybody that has died from it?" - and now all of us do), it seemed like a racket.

Years later, knowing what the costs were, it makes sense to me. Hospital resources were decimated, as were doctor's offices, and lots of other service industry businesses. It's logical to me.

Reactions: VolunteerVandiver
When this was first being talked about (similar to peeps saying, "Do you actually know anybody that has died from it?" - and now all of us do), it seemed like a racket.

Years later, knowing what the costs were, it makes sense to me. Hospital resources were decimated, as were doctor's offices, and lots of other service industry businesses. It's logical to me.

In early 2020, The state of Texas started publishing daily the number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths. The state requires an autopsy of every death in the state. What they didn't realize at the time was they were also publishing the "confirmed covid deaths" from the autopies along with the reported covid deaths. The published "covid deaths" were 10 times that of the "confirmed covid deaths" when they removed that stat from the published data.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
In early 2020, The state of Texas started publishing daily the number of cases, hospitalizations and deaths. The state requires an autopsy of every death in the state. What they didn't realize at the time was they were also publishing the "confirmed covid deaths" from the autopies along with the reported covid deaths. The published "covid deaths" were 10 times that of the "confirmed covid deaths" when they removed that stat from the published data.
So dying in the hospital with covid vs dying from it changes what?

Reactions: Orangeslice13
Seems like there has been so much terrible news about covid over the past 2 years but a great story of a mother with severe covid able to deliver a child while on ecmo with both the child and mom making it home.
Critically ill COVID patient delivers baby while on heart-lung bypass
Really sweet picture of her holding her child while still hooked up to ecmo

1641673031598.jpeg
Always amazed at the size of those ecmo cannulas.

I know there are several posters that work in hospitals, I can’t imagine having to deal with this, must be such a helpless feeling.

This is from someone working in an ER.

I will not pretend that masks are doing anything. It is dangerous to those that are at risk from covid to make them falsely believe that a cloth or paper mask is going to protect them. If they believe that they are more likely to engage in behaviors and activities that will place them in more danger of actually catching covid.

As far as the perfectly healthy wanting to mask up to make others feel better about walking around a store... yeah, not playing that game. I am not here to make others feel good about their decisions. I am to speak truth and to walk it out. Paper and cloth masks do not work, so I will not compromise my integrity by pretending that they do.

Silver lining of the mask wearing, hand washing and social distancing…lowest influenza deaths since it’s ever been around. <2k deaths where usually in the US alone is 35k in a good influenza year.
So the masks, etc. has helped keep people alive regardless of the effing politicians.
If this had been handled by medical experts , it would not be such a worldwide cluster F$&K. By medical experts, I am not talking about all the appointed talking heads, but real medical experts.
Not attacking you Glitch, but all this Shiitshow has me ready to kill. I think all the political posturing is akin to serial killers. They should all stand trial for their crimes against humanity.
😈🤯😤🤬

Pretty apparent that everyone, including most liberal of states are over Covid. And all of the regulations hence.

The virus is weakening. Everyone will get Omicron vaxxed or not.
Exactly. So mask mandates and vaccine passports are worthless and should not be instituted. Thanks for agreeing

Reactions: txbo

VN Store

Back