Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Bell and George Karlaftis both declare for the draft.

GK is a projected first round pick. Bell was all-conference.

I hope these young men realize that risking injury in a bowl game is not in their best interest.
If they declared then they aren’t playing.

Heupel was hired as Missouri’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2016 and hired Joe Jon Finley on staff as his tight ends coach. Finley came to Missouri after serving as offensive quality control at Baylor under Briles. That is when Heupel began studying and implementing Baylor’s offense into his scheme using wide splits and veer and shoot concepts.
Heupel spent time in Waco in the year after his firing at Oklahoma and before his season at Utah State. Read it in an article. I’ll try to find and post it. He didn’t BEGIN studying Briles veer at Mizzou.

Man, I hear a lot about how bad the Lady Vols are and constant criticism of Vescovi.

Lady Vols 8-0 and on the verge of the Top 10; Vescovi is leading the men's team in scoring. I kinda think our fans sometimes suck.

I was critical of Vescovi in the first half of the Villanova game. He was leading the team in scoring, but was forcing things. Of course, the entire team looked bad that game. He has looked much better since then and so has the team. The team’s performance against Colorado was really impressive.

Reading through the Evans and Nolen threads it sounds like it's all coming down to NIL money... Will be interesting and very telling for the future to see if we pony up or not...

Purdue WR David Bell and DE George Karlaftis are going to the NFL, per ESPN. If they end up skipping the bowl, we will win easily.

Karlaftis is the main feature of their defense, great player. 4.5 sacks this year, and is everywhere and is very disruptive.

Bell is FAR and away their #1 receiver (remember Rondale Moore?). Bell is the type of receiver you must scheme for. The others are not.
Heard their 247 Beat writer on the Nation last night. He doubted either would play as they project as 1-2 rounders.

I feel like we made the right hire....I mean I'm BVS enough to worry that maybe it's just that 1st year "breathe of fresh air" that teams get with positive coaches coming in (Like Beamer at South Carolina)

But I feel like the product on the field looked better coached, and better developed. I think we didn't always have the most pure talent on the field, but the Butch & Pruitt era both showed us if you don't know how to play the position or play then it doesn't matter how much talent you have you're going to fail.

A coach that can call plays to win games AND develop the talent to play at their best in the system is going to be more beneficial to us long term than a great recruiter. We've missed on 2 of our previous 4 hires because of "great recruiter" being the end all.

If he were anywhere else, I'd say "looks like they found a good one but not enough data at a big time program, yet". Trying to do the same here.

The fact that anyone's unbiased opinion should be "looks like" the same, is more than I was expecting, given our recent history. And I'm perfectly fine with that as a start.

Not crowning him but I had a blast this season. So correction, that's a GREAT start.

New partnership aims at maximizing NIL for Tennessee athletes

“NIL is a game-changer for Tennessee Athletics along with current and future Vol athletes,” said Clawson, Spyre's Co-founder and Vice President of Athlete Marketing. “This program dominates the state from the Tri-Cities to Memphis, and our national fanbase is second-to-none. This collective gives those supporters a simple path to get involved and help Tennessee set the standard for NIL success, not just in the SEC, but nationwide.”

The partnership will simplify the NIL experience of Tennessee's athletes by making those deals safer and "removing unnecessary complexities" in the process, per the release. Opendorse will allow athletes to use its app to manage all aspects of their NIL opportunities, from receiving inquiries, completing contracts, processing payments, preparing tax forms. It also will allow athletes to disclose those deals for compliance purposes.

“NIL might be new to college sports, but we have managed sponsorship and endorsement opportunities for professional athletes for over a decade,” said Baddour, Spyre's Co-founder and sports agent. “We understand the opportunities, but also know the pitfalls. With this knowledge, we’re doing everything in our power to bring the Tennessee family together to deliver meaningful success for our student-athletes. Opendorse has proven to make the athlete’s life easier while making deals more accessible and manageable than ever before.

Baddour added: “We would put our donor base and fan support up against anybody’s. Spyre Sports and Opendorse will be the vessel to bring the Tennessee family together and make Knoxville the top NIL destination in college sports. The harsh reality is in this new era of college athletics is that you either rise to the occasion or you become irrelevant. In partnership with Spyre and Opendorse, Vol Nation and Tennessee will rise.”

4COMMENTS
Spyre's role in the initiative will include securing donor commitments and delivering NIL opportunities for Tennessee's athletes in addition to educational services ranging from tax preparation, branding consultation and LLC advisement.

“The NIL collective model is the new standard for student-athlete support in college sports,” Opendorse CEO Blake Lawrence said. “Just like any new market, leaders quickly emerge – and it’s clear that Spyre Sports Group is a leader in this pack. Our companies have worked together to empower athletes at the professional level for nearly a decade, and I’m proud that we can now partner to support college athletes across genders and sports. Tennessee Athletics and its student-athletes are in good hands.”

Purdue WR David Bell and DE George Karlaftis are going to the NFL, per ESPN. If they end up skipping the bowl, we will win easily.

Karlaftis is the main feature of their defense, great player. 4.5 sacks this year, and is everywhere and is very disruptive.

Bell is FAR and away their #1 receiver (remember Rondale Moore?). Bell is the type of receiver you must scheme for. The others are not.

Are we that lucky that both won't play? UT's usual luck is they both play and have career final games... BVS

Heupel was hired as Missouri’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2016 and hired Joe Jon Finley on staff as his tight ends coach. Finley came to Missouri after serving as offensive quality control at Baylor under Briles. That is when Heupel began studying and implementing Baylor’s offense into his scheme using wide splits and veer and shoot concepts.

EbuWmdUUwAQgefy.jpg

If he were anywhere else, I'd say "looks like they found a good one but not enough data at a big time program, yet". Trying to do the same here.

The fact that anyone's unbiased opinion should be "looks like" the same, is more than I was expecting, given our recent history. And I'm perfectly fine with that as a start.

Not crowning him but I had a blast this season. So correction, that's a GREAT start.
I believe we’ve only seen a modicum of the potential under Heupel. He hit the ground running AFTER ESD and without a DC. Wasn’t even certain what players he would have available between transfers, signees released from scholarship and who would be staying after Spring. Then he has to teach a polar opposite offensive scheme and navigate the growing pains. Didn’t help with the knuckleheadery of two separate off-field incidents. Season in, we have leaders establish along with the (overused term) culture and comfort with what’s already been taught. Helps when you do it in a game.

So, now news people are saying our coach is on Oregon's list. Got nothing against the Ducks, they are always with us when we get in feuds (Florida--a duck can move a Truck, and I don't think they liked Schiano either) .

I still loathe them for the 2010 and 2013 games.

Ducks may have played the two least talented teams in program history and they totally boat raced them

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back