Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did go spend some time with Art Briles to learn his system after he was fired from Oklahoma.

I've still never been able to find actual proof of that.

Now, Josh Heupel did have Jeff Lebby on staff at UCF, so I think he's obviously familiar with it. But I don't think you'd put Josh under that coaching tree, since he really learned more of an Air Raid style of play as a player (under Leach & Mangino).

I know concepts wise he does things different than a traditional Air Raid. But if I was putting Heupel under a "tree" it'd probably be the Hal Mumme one and technically Art falls under that same tree so it's not too surprising their styles overlap.

This coaching carousel has been absolutely excellent for us. Next year's will likely be even better. Next year I think Auburn, FSU, and UK open up. Mack Brown is also probably teetering on the edge of retirement. If Heupel is truly the guy, he's about to benefit immensely from all this.

Make Napier fight for his life to get recruits in FL from Cristobal/whoever FSU's next hire is (Deion?!), weaken Clemson and UNC, turn UK back into a non-factor, and hopefully watch Auburn become the next Tennessee with a revolving door of bad hires.
OU, Florida, Clemson, Oregon, LSU be like:
1638814834876.gifMeanwhile,
Danny White and Heupel leading UT Vols be like:

Attachments

• 1638814905237.gif
    1638814905237.gif
    793.1 KB · Views: 1
He did go spend some time with Art Briles to learn his system after he was fired from Oklahoma.

Heupel was hired as Missouri’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2016 and hired Joe Jon Finley on staff as his tight ends coach. Finley came to Missouri after serving as offensive quality control at Baylor under Briles. That is when Heupel began studying and implementing Baylor’s offense into his scheme using wide splits and veer and shoot concepts.

Just saw a license plate “El10 John”

I think is the first Elton John fan I’ve ever seen in my life
I went to an awards show in Vegas many years ago, and Sir Elton was one of the performers. Fan or not, it was cool to see because the man is a music legend.

Sidenote, awards shows make for strange concerts. Besides Elton John, Jay-Z performed that night, too, and of course several more acts. The mash up of different genres makes it different.

Coach Nappyhair is great for them.
tenor.gif

I've still never been able to find actual proof of that.

Now, Josh Heupel did have Jeff Lebby on staff at UCF, so I think he's obviously familiar with it. But I don't think you'd put Josh under that coaching tree, since he really learned more of an Air Raid style of play as a player (under Leach & Mangino).

I know concepts wise he does things different than a traditional Air Raid. But if I was putting Heupel under a "tree" it'd probably be the Hal Mumme one and technically Art falls under that same tree so it's not too surprising their styles overlap.
I'll post if I can find it but I saw it in an article about what paths he took after getting fired.

edit: it was never in an official capacity but kind of a fact finding, mentoring session.

I'm not crazy about this potential conference layout but I've got an idea.......From your pic, why can't the SEC East take LSU, Ol Miss, Mississippi State, and Arkansas. We can split those 12 teams into 2 divisions, east and west (or, basically keep the 4 listed teams in the west division and move AU and AL to the west). Now here's the tricky part. The remaining 4 teams on the list can start a new conference. They can invite Ok State, Baylor, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas Tech, Houston, Kansas State, and TCU to join and call it the Southwest Conference or SWC, for short. They can split it into 2 divisions and even have a conference championship game. I don't know, just a thought. 🙄

GBO
They were divided by geography in that graphic.

Bama is going to break Georgia like they did last year.

Stetson Bennett is not good under pressure. Last year all Bama did was put pressure on him and also get their hands up since he is so short and that’s when Daniels came in.

Bennett couldn't handle it when we brought pressure. I don't know why Kirby didn't take his lumps early with JT. They wouldn't have lost those games and they'd have had him ready. Right now, I don't think they have him ready despite the fact that he's been there forever.

Tennessee up to -2.5 after opening +3 lol

I'm just gonna hold tight and grab the 1Q or 1H line. In my experience, when we cover we just come out and own the game from the start anyway. Even if we get up to -7 our 1Q will be -2.5 or something like that, and I'm fine with that number.

Reactions: MrVolton
The thing that's encouraging is our 5 losses were to teams with clear talent advantages.

Pitt, who went 11-2 and won the ACC and had tons of old developed talent
Florida, remove the mental hurdle they still had a ton of talent and were playing hard at that point
Ole Miss, Matt Luke recruited well there and then Lane had already been there a year still even with an edge in talent we got the screw job by the SEC
Georgia & Bama = no comment needed

Next year I don't know if we'll make a big jump from 7 wins if I'm honest. We get LSU who should still have more talent than us top to bottom, and Florida with a new HC at home should be beatable but also they'll still have an edge in overall talent

Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida (in that order) from most likely to lose to best chance to win.

Going to Pitt and them breaking in a new QB with a lot of other talent gone doesn't worry me. So I think we can go 4-0 in OOC, then still capable of beating the rest of the East (South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Vandy).

I expect the O/U on wins to likely be sat at 7.5...if it's 6.5 though I'd throw money at the over.

Yeah, the first step in any rebuild is beating the teams you are supposed to, then you move on to playing close as an underdog and occasionally pulling out a win you have no business winning, then you move on to playing 50/50 games against better opponents, then winning more than you lose.

Scott Frost seems to be stuck at the "playing close" phase almost to the point of ridiculousness.

The problem for us is that this is rarely a linear progression and there are bound to be peaks and valleys. It is just the nature of where we are in the CFB world. Can the fan base handle "two steps forward, one step back"? I hope so, because I am afraid that will be our trajectory with our roster. We may do so well in the portal that we can win 10 games next year and then lose so many guys the next that we have go 7-5 again. Or we may strike out this year and win 6 but then win 10 games the next.

The portal certainly changes the equation as far as year-over-year expectations go and we may not know what we will actually look like till the spring.

I do think that CJH and staff will continue to have the team prepared to win every game and I suspect we may get an unexpected win in 2022. It felt like we were on the verge this year.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Coaches are only a “guru” in what they know tho. Teaching offense or defense in general is so tedious you have to know every single small detail/foot work/hand placement/eye progression etc for every single position on the field.

So all those guys like Kirby, Pruitt, lanning, muschamp are gurus of that system. They know it. Heupel is a guru of the Briles system, Paul Johnson was a guru of the flex bone. Some systems are easier to install and get started. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned the last handful of years is that everyone is pretty much doing the same things. The front office/admin, HC relationships, locker room chemistry, etc all that is so much more important than how much ball your head coach knows. That’s probably the 8th most important thing when you’re in that chair.
Man I'm glad to see someone else saying this. Being a HC has so much less to do with actual football than being a DC or OC, and it's a huge, huge change for an OC/DC to take a HC job because their job goes from 90% X/O football work to 50% or less X/O.

Tennessee up to -2.5 after opening +3 lol

I'm just gonna hold tight and grab the 1Q or 1H line. In my experience, when we cover we just come out and own the game from the start anyway. Even if we get up to -7 our 1Q will be -2.5 or something like that, and I'm fine with that number.
1Q is -0.5

Reactions: BigSteve09
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back