Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
But taking over for a mini-behemoth that Tom Herman launched! Quickly declining returns got him fired…fast! And that one was borne from Bradyesque belief that he was the playcaller when Herman had that machine humming…he wasn’t.

Still...the decline was 7-5 and 8-5 (and both those seasons ended with losses in meaningless bowls).

I think Houston was too quick on the trigger, but it's a weird school/admin there. If South Alabama makes big strides next year with him as OC he may create buzz again for himself.

What evidence do you have that he knows his X's and O's? His defenses ranked 81 and 49 in 2018,19. Evidently the NCAA didn't count 2020 in stats because of Covid. On the other hand, you really want to see a "guru", look at Heupel. Took a depleted roster and made it an offense that everyone feared. That's taking something and making it better, better than the roster suggest it should be. Pruitt relied on superior talent to succeed. He's no guru, imo.

I was chastised at the time but I said early on that his days were numbered, it wasn't about when but if. He's no head coach and I think he was extremely over rated as a D coordinator.
His body of works elsewhere but UT. He tried to run “his” defense at UT without compensating for lack of talent. You just can’t do that, but he refused to budge. Defense wise that was his downfall. He did not play to the strength of his guys. He ran his system and it hurt him.

Like Hank said he was not used to having spot drop off after the 1s.

This is also why he isn’t a good Head Coach. But the guy knows his X’s and O’s to deny that is just ridiculous and shows the bias in your posting.

You don’t have to like the man lol but at least be willing to be truthful.

I agree that it's all he's known but that doesn't say guru to me.
Coaches are only a “guru” in what they know tho. Teaching offense or defense in general is so tedious you have to know every single small detail/foot work/hand placement/eye progression etc for every single position on the field.

So all those guys like Kirby, Pruitt, lanning, muschamp are gurus of that system. They know it. Heupel is a guru of the Briles system, Paul Johnson was a guru of the flex bone. Some systems are easier to install and get started. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned the last handful of years is that everyone is pretty much doing the same things. The front office/admin, HC relationships, locker room chemistry, etc all that is so much more important than how much ball your head coach knows. That’s probably the 8th most important thing when you’re in that chair.

The thing that's encouraging is our 5 losses were to teams with clear talent advantages.

Pitt, who went 11-2 and won the ACC and had tons of old developed talent
Florida, remove the mental hurdle they still had a ton of talent and were playing hard at that point
Ole Miss, Matt Luke recruited well there and then Lane had already been there a year still even with an edge in talent we got the screw job by the SEC
Georgia & Bama = no comment needed

Next year I don't know if we'll make a big jump from 7 wins if I'm honest. We get LSU who should still have more talent than us top to bottom, and Florida with a new HC at home should be beatable but also they'll still have an edge in overall talent

Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida (in that order) from most likely to lose to best chance to win.

Going to Pitt and them breaking in a new QB with a lot of other talent gone doesn't worry me. So I think we can go 4-0 in OOC, then still capable of beating the rest of the East (South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Vandy).

I expect the O/U on wins to likely be sat at 7.5...if it's 6.5 though I'd throw money at the over.

The issue is, when you are basing out of a Rip/liz and man match quarters like the saban tree guys do… you have to have studs on your defense because at the end of the day… depending on the route distribution you are running cover 0 with a 4 man rush because you’re bracketing and Manning guys. There’s not a lot of spot drop with those teams like we play now.

The point is made right here ^. Glad you are back posting again.

Fitzpatrick goes to the NFL - their secondary started leaking even with Surtain level players. It's the scheme.

It's ebb and flow with changes in the game between O's and D's all of the time.

Your guy is elite with D in CFB.

The thing that's encouraging is our 5 losses were to teams with clear talent advantages.

Florida, remove the mental hurdle they still had a ton of talent and were playing hard at that point
Ole Miss, Matt Luke recruited well there and then Lane had already been there a year still even with an edge in talent we got the screw job by the SEC

Next year I don't know if we'll make a big jump from 7 wins if I'm honest. We get LSU who should still have more talent than us top to bottom, and Florida with a new HC at home should be beatable but also they'll still have an edge in overall talent

Bama, Georgia, LSU, Florida (in that order) from most likely to lose to best chance to win.

Going to Pitt and them breaking in a new QB with a lot of other talent gone doesn't worry me. So I think we can go 4-0 in OOC, then still capable of beating the rest of the East (South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri, Vandy).

I expect the O/U on wins to likely be sat at 7.5...if it's 6.5 though I'd throw money at the over.
Fair assessment and agreed.

Florida will instantly be 10x better defensively by bringing Toney from ULL. I would bet anything on that.

Coaches are only a “guru” in what they know tho. Teaching offense or defense in general is so tedious you have to know every single small detail/foot work/hand placement/eye progression etc for every single position on the field.

So all those guys like Kirby, Pruitt, lanning, muschamp are gurus of that system. They know it. Heupel is a guru of the Briles system, Paul Johnson was a guru of the flex bone. Some systems are easier to install and get started. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned the last handful of years is that everyone is pretty much doing the same things. The front office/admin, HC relationships, locker room chemistry, etc all that is so much more important than how much ball your head coach knows. That’s probably the 8th most important thing when you’re in that chair.

Why do you say that? He's never directly played under or worked under anyone from Art's coaching tree.

His body of works elsewhere but UT. He tried to run “his” defense at UT without compensating for lack of talent. You just can’t do that, but he refused to budge. Defense wise that was his downfall. He did not play to the strength of his guys. He ran his system and it hurt him.

This is also why he isn’t a good Head Coach. But the guy knows his X’s and O’s to deny that is just ridiculous and shows the bias in your posting.

I really guess it depends on your definition of a good X's and O's coach. Mine is molding something with what you have to work with. Getting 100% out of your raw materials. To me a coach that has to have the best talent to be good, doesn't equate to a great X's and O's coach but quite the opposite. Not sure what talent it takes when you can only succeed when you are out talenting everyone you play.

The point is made right here ^. Glad you are back posting again.

Fitzpatrick goes to the NFL - their secondary started leaking even with Surtain level players. It's the scheme.

It's ebb and flow with changes in the game between O's and D's all of the time.

Your guy is elite with D in CFB.

We started doing much more drop 8 especially in 2020 basically when we lost D Taylor. We had no one who could truly rush the passer. That’s a death wish playing in that defensive structure.

It still plays true today tho with bama. Their defense comes and goes with will Anderson. If the other team has good tackles and a plan to handle him, they can be had. They don’t have the dogs up front that they used to.

Not sure what 440 sports is, but here’s this guys rankings for best jobs.

Alabama should not be the #1 job (it's either UGA or LSU), USC is too low, rest of list is pretty accurate.

When people say Alabama is the #1 job in the country they are conflating having the GOAT with it being the #1 job.

I also think his position coaches in his first two years were very good on defense. In 6 of the last 7 games in 2019 (not bowl), opponents scored 10, 21, 7, 13, 20, and 10. That was the best defense at UT in at least 3 seasons. But, Pruitt was apparently difficult to work for; he lost some of his position coaches; and he replaced them with bad ones.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back