All things STOCKS

It feels like a momentum thing. Some people are starting to panic, and they sell equities "before I lose it all". I expect to accumulate quality as bad days continue. I can't say it's easy to do emotionally.
Oh I’ve definitely started to panic 😂. Haven’t sold anything yet though. My stock portfolio is for my kids. I’m not a trader.

Reactions: tbh
Oh I’ve definitely started to panic 😂. Haven’t sold anything yet though. My stock portfolio is for my kids. I’m not a trader.

I just recently started throwing a few hundred into the market here and there each month...pretty much sticking to dividend kings/aristocrats and picking them up when they're priced toward the bottom of the 52 week high/low range, with the idea that I'm going to hold onto them for the long haul as they generate dividends (hopefully consistently) that I keep reinvesting.

In the grand scheme of things, I am no expert and I don't expect to get rich off this, but it's kinda fun following the markets and the associated news bits. When a day of dropoffs and losses happens...I see it as an opportunity to broaden or deepen my holdings. If I have some extra income in retirement as a result, nifty!

Reactions: bpalmer28
It feels like a momentum thing. Some people are starting to panic, and they sell equities "before I lose it all". I expect to accumulate quality as bad days continue. I can't say it's easy to do emotionally.

It is also tax loss harvesting season. I think that there are more down days ahead. There hasn’t been a 10% pull back for a long time.

Reactions: TheColdVolTruth
Based on the last 5 sessions I’m tempted to put on a ST trade of FAZ. But anything positive in COVID or rate hikes coming into focus and it will tank. These triple levered bear funds tend to trend toward zero and reverse stock splits. I think I’ll wait for the Friday equity markets and buy if the morning session breaks the daily trend and heads higher. It a coin flip.

So, uh...SWBI is down quite a bit at the moment (~23%) after their financial results released yesterday...

I've been eyeballing that one for a bit, and I'm glad I didn't bite earlier. Do y'all think now might be an opportune time to pick some up to either hold for a bit?

So, uh...SWBI is down quite a bit at the moment (~23%) after their financial results released yesterday...

I've been eyeballing that one for a bit, and I'm glad I didn't bite earlier. Do y'all think now might be an opportune time to pick some up to either hold for a bit?

My limit bit at 9:31am. ‘murica by gawd!!!

I think it continues to drip into the new year unless promising news about the new variant comes out. The market is certainly uneasy at the moment. I haven't even checked my portfolio in about a month. Everything I had was down anyways and I've got about 60% in cash for next bull run.

I don’t even know what that means but I’ll Google it.

Stock options have a predetermined expiration date. There are 2 types of options (puts or calls) and investors either own them or sell (write the contract) them. 4 possible positions. Calls are options to buy shares at a certain price and puts are options to sell shares at a certain price. They are contracts. They are derivatives of underlying shares of stock. If the share price of a stock drops below the strike price of a call option it will not be exercised by the owner (good for the seller). If the share price of a put option rises above the strike price of a put option it will not be a exercised by the option owner (again, a good situation for the seller of the put).

Call options are easier to understand. Think of it as if it was an option to buy a house. The home owner takes the money and gives somebody the RIGHT to buy their house at a certain price by a certain date.

Writers (sellers) of call options on shares that they actually own are writers of COVERED calls. They earn extra income by writing and selling the call option contract, but they give up their upside gains at a certain share price (until the option contract expires at the pre-determined date). Selling covered calls does not carry as much risk as other scenarios. The risk is not participating in large upside movements in share prices.

Buyers of either type of option risk the contracts expiring worthless.

volatility is way up. FWIW.

I am feeling a temptation to get back into MOS based on the chart.

I sold half my RKT to take a position in AMAT. So my chip stocks right this minute are:
AMAT
MU
UCTT

UCTT already popped up and of course I never know when to sell something. It's come down a bunch by still way above what I paid. Missed the boat on the rest of them, like TSC and so forth

Last edited:
Y'all probably already know about it and there are likely other better/more powerful tools out there, but in my ongoing foray into setting up a long-term income-producing dividend portfolio, I ran across "Track Your Dividends" (www.trackyourdividends.com). The free version has a neat dashboard and you have the option of having it pull info from an account, or you can manually enter your portfolio (which is what I did). It does payout-by-month projections, and longer term income projections with different variables. Basically, my stock-n00b self is using this in lieu of an Excel spreadsheet to look ahead on what payouts could be depending on how I tweak my investments along and along.

volatility is way up. FWIW.

I am feeling a temptation to get back into MOS based on the chart.

I sold half my RKT to take a position in AMAT. So my chip stocks right this minute are:
AMAT
MU
UCTT

UCTT already popped up and of course I never know when to sell something. It's come down a bunch by still way above what I paid. Missed the boat on the rest of them, like TSC and so forth

I've dipped my toe in but NATGAS will be the corn of 2021 this year, imo

Somebody let the brakes off today.

Here he is

FGA9_RoWQAgr7Ob

Looking at a few familiars to get into, but looking for a better entry point on a couple of them. $FUBO, NCMI, $RKT, $LUV, $PINS, and $DIS

buddy and I are both of the opinion you see a big dump tomorrow, but I’m starting to think we are both wrong.

My taxable account is mostly in dumb small caps and they already dumped today. Been a lot of volatility.

VN Store

Back